iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Making a fetching arch - need advice.

Started by kelLOGg, February 08, 2013, 05:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

I'm building a small fetching arch (24" wide, 39" tall) which I plan to pull primarily with a drag line via a truck or tractor. I am about to attach the draw bar and hooks and a design issue has come up: the weight of the log has to be supported at the rear of the arch otherwise the draw bar runs the risk of hitting the ground making pulling impossible. What I thought of doing is tilting the arch as shown on the pic to assure the center of gravity is always to the rear. Is this a good idea or will something rear up and bite me? I have looked at LogRite's arch and noticed their tong is mounted to the rear which accomplishes the same thing.
At this point I can go either way. Any advice?
Thanks,
Bob

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

UN Hooker

kelLOGg

I think if I was building something like that, I would try putting a smaller pipe with a loop on the end inside the rear of the tongue. After you hooked the front of the log, slide this out maybe 4' or so and pin it. Then put a loose chain through the loop and around the log. That would keep the hitch from nose diving to the ground and depending on how loose the chain was, you would still be able to "steer" it some.

UN
Retired Toolmaker/Moldmaker
C-4 & C5D TF - 5500 Iron Mule - Restored 4400 Ford Ind. FEL ex Backhoe w/custom built boom w/Valby 360* grapple w/18' reach - 920 Cat w/bucket & forks w/clamp - Peterson 10" WPF - LT-15 - Cooks Catsclaw & Dual tooth setter - many Husky saws

kelLOGg

UN, I don't know if this is what you meant but the link shows what I am going to do.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,23479.240.html

I will not tilt the arch; copying the slide out feature on the Mark 7 will allow me to adjust the mechanical advantage as needed. A very versatile solution and it took quite a time to find it.
bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Thank You Sponsors!