iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chainsaw craziness $$$$$$$$

Started by loggah, February 08, 2013, 04:19:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loggah

Well i just saw a Sachs-Dolmar  166 model powerhead sell for $2204.66 on E-bay !!!!!! thats crazy maybe i better take mine down off my outside shelf and put it in the gun vault !!!!! :o :o :o. Don

Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

thecfarm

The middle one in the middle,top shelf,orange?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

loggah

Yup, 115 c.c. 24" 404 bar great runner,i knew they were desirable but that is "CRAZY" anyone here the second bidder???? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

thecfarm

Better be running a cable,chain through them handles,than run the ends inside too.
I was at walmart and never laughed so hard. They had run a chain,with no coating or rubber on the chain through a bunch of brand new grills,about 20 feet long. I heard this wicked racket. I guess someone brought one and a walmart employer unlocked the lock and just pulled the chain out through every one of them. :o He heard me laughing and I could tell he did wrong,but did not think of it until he had done it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

loggah

Some times theres not much common sense with box store people.  ;D  I doubt i will chain them up  the blizzard will keep all the thieves indoors for a bit ! ;D

Al_Smith

They've went nutty the last couple years on old high cube displacement saws .I got all mine before someone  thought they where worth their weight in gold .

I mean they get nutty ideas like that guy that brags up old Mac PM 610's to the tune of 450-500 bucks a pop for a saw that sold new for less than half that amount .

Sure that big Sachs-Dolmar is rare but it isn't that rare .Besides just try finding parts for that old sweetheart some time .

loggah

I still use it ocassionally,had to put a coil in it a few years back !!!

Al_Smith

Those big cubers don't get used much unless it's some remote location with huge trees which are few and far between any more .Vancouver Island maybe .

The 084 Stihl that lives in my shed does not belong to me but it's in a safe refuge to keep it from being stolen. It belongs to a tree trimmer but I'm the only one in approx 4 years who's ran that thing . Fires right up .On the ready just in case a giant tree needs to go .Which like most places are few and far between .

jocco

Don i would ad that sometimes this stuff sells for substandard prices like $36 :o Not much reason to it ::)
You may check out but you will never leave

Al_Smith

You watch flea bay real close some time .It's a harder now than it used to be but see how many outragiously priced saws appear after supposidely selling or in fact were delisted several times by several sellers .

I once watched a half beat up Mac 797 go though 3 different sellers .I asked them what the reserve was and my reply is they didn't want to list a reserve so that told me they were playing games .They were turning down 800 dollar bids for that old worn out piece of junk 8 years ago .

Now flea bay has cleaned it up a tad but people still play games ,raise each others bids etc .This is the internet ,things are not always as they appear to be . ;)

loggah

Oh, i understand but on this one there were 33 bids by  seven or eight different bidders. seems to be a wanted item.

Al_Smith

Problem is now all you have to look at is a bidders  number no user name .Those numbers change on each item bid offer so you have no idea if they are genuine or bogus .

Who in a sane mind would bid that kind of money for an item sight unseen any way ?Well for that matter there's a pair of 090 Stihls they only want a paltry 4500 bucks for .Cheap at half the price  :D--not .

loggah

My brother has a pair of those 090 Stihls those on his Alaskan slabber mill. maybe i should go borrow it and put it on E-bay !!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

jocco

Al i think you got it, ;D I don't do a lot on there but have seen pretty much the same as you describe. ::) The ones i hate is after 3-4 days POOF  the auction is ended!!!! :o

Quote from: Al_Smith on February 09, 2013, 11:18:52 AM
You watch flea bay real close some time .It's a harder now than it used to be but see how many outragiously priced saws appear after supposidely selling or in fact were delisted several times by several sellers .

I once watched a half beat up Mac 797 go though 3 different sellers .I asked them what the reserve was and my reply is they didn't want to list a reserve so that told me they were playing games .They were turning down 800 dollar bids for that old worn out piece of junk 8 years ago .

Now flea bay has cleaned it up a tad but people still play games ,raise each others bids etc .This is the internet ,things are not always as they appear to be . ;)

Al_Smith

Let me give another example .A guy on another site back 8 or so years ago was proud as a peacock about a then new 088 ,880 whatever it was .He pulled the auction about 4 hours before the dead line .He just wanted to see what it might fetch .I reprimanded him about such nonsense .If you're going to sell it ,sell it .Don't play with people . >:(

After thought .Another old trick is baiting people to run the price up .Run it for a while .pull it ,then somone else list the same danged saw once they  gat a couple eager beavers thinking they just have to have the darned thing .I think a lot of people have more dollars than they have sense .

jocco

I agree or put a buy now price if someone pays it oh well :) The latest one that got me was i tried to ask the seller a question and it comes up they can respond??? This was through evil bay. ??? cant figure that out i have seen it a couple times. ???

Quote from: Al_Smith on February 09, 2013, 03:40:33 PM
Let me give another example .A guy on another site back 8 or so years ago was proud as a peacock about a then new 088 ,880 whatever it was .He pulled the auction about 4 hours before the dead line .He just wanted to see what it might fetch .I reprimanded him about such nonsense .If you're going to sell it ,sell it .Don't play with people . >:(

After thought .Another old trick is baiting people to run the price up .Run it for a while .pull it ,then somone else list the same danged saw once they  gat a couple eager beavers thinking they just have to have the darned thing .I think a lot of people have more dollars than they have sense .

Al_Smith

Well here's another thing tied to the original post .They hyped up the rating on those things something terrible .118 cc and 12 SAE horse power .You've got to be kidding . I'd think closer to 8 would be more accurate .

I've ran them and they do have plenty of power but not more so than any other 7 cu inch and over saw. No more than an 084 Stihl ,3120 Husqvarna ,125 Mac .

jocco

Come on Al the mac 125 is in a league of its own!!! smiley_devil

Quote from: Al_Smith on February 09, 2013, 04:18:16 PM
Well here's another thing tied to the original post .They hyped up the rating on those things something terrible .118 cc and 12 SAE horse power .You've got to be kidding . I'd think closer to 8 would be more accurate .

I've ran them and they do have plenty of power but not more so than any other 7 cu inch and over saw. No more than an 084 Stihl ,3120 Husqvarna ,125 Mac .

lumberjack48

I passed up a 166 about a month ago, sold for $82. it was like new. But i didn't have hands on, who knows, could have been junk.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Al_Smith

Well yeah they have a lot of ooomph but not any more than the others if they are all in stock form .Fact I have two of them plus a 2100 Homelite and an 084 that I'm baby sitting for and can't honestly say  which has more grunt . Same goes with that 166 Sachs that belonged to Cut For Fun that I had for a week or so to get some practice before running at Chardon Ohio .

From my observation if they are all about the same displacement they all seem to run about the same .

Well meaning within reason .You can't expect a 1964 Mac 250 to run with a Stihl 460 or any such thing .Wish you could though . ;D

coxy

ibought a demo saw  wonce it was brand new thay said it never had gas in it well i got it and it was new but never had a piston or jug  that realy maid me mad

Cut4fun

I had  2 running 166 and one parts saw. I sold my  muffler runner with 30" for $800.  I would show pics butttttt.

There is also video of the muffler one and race piped one.  :o 

You know what they say on those other prices, a fool and his $$$$ soon parts.  :D

My 166 were 118cc  ;D  how come yours was only 115cc  ;)  http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/ed1d619968136da688256af40002b8f7/d2ce656c94bacd3b88256b62006ff222?OpenDocument

loggah

I think someone typed a 5 instead of a 8 :-[ :-[ ;D im sure it is 118 c.c, like the rest of them. I used the saw logging in big hardwood ,and cutting big wood in the yard.  ;D

Al_Smith

I may be wrong but I think the big Sachs had one of the longest strokes of any saw. There was speculation and conjecture of the possibility of hanging a larger cylinder on them to make a super saw but if I recall correctly again they used a 14 MM piston pin size .

So you'd about need a custom made piston and maybe a sleeved cylinder or 090 maybe and it would entail a lot of work not to mention a ton of money.

I have never heard if anyone went that route or not but  I doubt it .

I will add though that one Cut had was one running fool and with a good sawyer would have done real well .I wasn't the one though to be behind the trigger to make that happen but I'm sure somebody could have .

Thank You Sponsors!