iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Went down to N.J. to get a horse !

Started by scully, February 08, 2013, 09:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scully

I volunteered to go with my neighbor to go get a horse that she bought from a rescue .When we got into N.J. and continued south I almost wrecked the dawgone truck because I was rubbernecking so much ! The blowdowns were every where ! Oak big oak ! some cherry and a bunch of other stuff ! I saw logs bucked into 4' sections and almost had a stroke ! Yard tree's all over ! Alot of timber in forest patch's as well ! I wish I could swing it and figure out the logistics and go down with my saws and a log truck ! I can't even imagine the load I would get ! Being unemployed and broke sucks !!!!!
I bleed orange  .

thecfarm

I take it you brought your truck? Good to help out a horse. I only see the damage on the news. But saying that I only get what they show too. Sometimes it's no where near as bad as they show or I mean as wide spread.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

rooster 58

I may very well be there soon towork on cleaning up the aftermath. Wait'n on the beaurocrats to get done playing games :snowball:

drobertson

scully, I can relate somewhat to what you are describing.  In 09' we had a F2 go through the property, still cleaning it up. The storm tracked for miles, millions of bdft lost. The thought came to me, if you could barter clean up for logs, it might work, not sure your schedule, but some folks may be ready for some action to take place, just an idea.  Hope the best for you,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

hillbillyhogs

Hallam, Nebraska 2004 F4. Never want to see / hear/ feel that again

Delawhere Jack

I just completed a job in the north east corner of Maryland. Big beautiful white and red oaks that came down in hurricane Sandy. Lots of trees down there, and twenty miiles north of me. The eye of the storm came in pretty much on top of where I live and there was very little tree damage.

JSwigga

you aren't kidding.  I drove up to princeton the other day with my dad and I had to tell him to stop and let me drive because he almost crashed a couple times looking. 
60" Lucas Dedicated Slabber, TimberKing 2200 , 5 ton Nissan forklift, John Deere FEL

lowpolyjoe

Where abouts in NJ?  Storm damage was different throughout the state.  I was probably in one of the softer hit areas and it was still bad with the winds.  I was driving west on 80 to PA last weekend and saw a lot of blow overs along the sides of the highway at places.

Saw a lot along side of the highway with what looked like someone processing firewood.  Couldn't stop to check it out at the time. 

My area has been cleaned up a lot already but I'm sure there's still a ton of trees waiting to be dealt with and logs laying around

We're getting a "blizzard" today.  Who knows if that will add to the carnage

Ron Wenrich

There's damage pretty much all over NJ.  The same can be said for portions of PA.  The problem is that its scattered.  You'll find a spot with a dozen trees down, then a spot with 2 or 3.  The problem would be to find the landowners, then if you're knocking on doors, they think its worth big bucks.  I've seen small bundles of firewood with $5 or $10 marked on them. 

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Nomad

I got a call from a fella in New Jersey a couple of weeks ago who had lots of logs he wanted milled and wanted to know if I was interested in doing it for him.  When he told me the logs were in New Jersey, I declined the job.  I'm in Florida.  That's a bit far for me. :D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

scully

Nomad send me his # I'm in the hunt ! God forbid I get an excuse to drag my mill 4or5 hrs into sawmill mecca !
I bleed orange  .

hillbillyhogs

Quote from: scully on February 09, 2013, 09:42:55 AM
Nomad send me his # I'm in the hunt ! God forbid I get an excuse to drag my mill 4or5 hrs into sawmill mecca !

Come to WV nobody want to do anything around here!  Bring some white pine with ya LOL

dboyt

Great that you could give the horse a home.  Can it pull logs? 

Quote from: thecfarm on February 08, 2013, 09:49:56 AM
I take it you brought your truck? Good to help out a horse. I only see the damage on the news. But saying that I only get what they show too. Sometimes it's no where near as bad as they show or I mean as wide spread.

And sometimes it is far worse.  There was no comparison to what I saw on the news and the actual damage from the 2011 Joplin, MO tornado.  Truck after truck hauling logs-- to the landfill.  I talked to a driver, and he said he only gets paid if the logs go to the landfill (thank you FEMA).  I got a few pretty good logs from tree services a few months later, though.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Thank You Sponsors!