iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saving wood for later sawing

Started by chuckhole, February 07, 2013, 01:48:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chuckhole

I do not have a mill yet but would like to start saving my trees instead of burning them. I have lots of pine, oak, hickory, holley, elm, dogwood and cedar. I am digging a pond (about 2 acres) and will be clearing a little bit of land (about 6 acres) for pasture with my backhoe. Can I start saving the trees now? And if so, for how long and is there a particular way of stacking them that I should consider?

I was thinking that I need to at least top and limb them and cut off the root ball. I can mulch the small stuff with my chipper/shredder.
Wanting to build a band saw mill for my 42 acres of heavily wooded country place.
40x60 Man Cave, Kubota RTV 900, Kubota L2800 4WD tractor, John Deere 310G 4WD Backhoe, trailers and implements.

Ianab

How long logs last depends on the species, season and how you store them.

Durable woods like Oak and Cedar can last for years in log form. Others will start to stain in days if you don't get them sawn and starting to dry. Holly is bad for that, and pine may start to stain in weeks in the warm weather.

Normal procedure would be to store the logs off the ground with the log ends sealed with some sort of wax sealer. But if you are digging a pond, that gives you anther option. Store the logs in the water. This stops them drying out, and growing fungus etc, and they will last much longer without degrading. In days  gone by mills would store their logs in a pond anyway, it made sorting easier without machinery (maybe a boat) and the logs didn't degrade.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

customsawyer

Welcome to the forum. You can cut them to length and then stack them off of the ground on some lower quality logs or some such as that. If it is high quality logs you might want to seal the ends with a end sealer.

Ianab beet me to the answer. I type to slow. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Take Ian's and Custom Sawyers advice. What they say will be a great advantage in the process of saving a log.
And if you do lose a few logs while trying to save them......it sure beats burning the whole lot.

Good-Luck and keep us updated.  smiley_thumbsup

We glad you became a member of the Forum Chuck.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

chuckhole

Definitely will take the advice. That is why I ask questions.

Thanks "most interesting man in the world" for the welcome aboard.
Wanting to build a band saw mill for my 42 acres of heavily wooded country place.
40x60 Man Cave, Kubota RTV 900, Kubota L2800 4WD tractor, John Deere 310G 4WD Backhoe, trailers and implements.

ely

cedar, walnut , i have saved forever and lose very little to degrade, the rest of your list is a crap shoot from 6mos. to a year.

drobertson

yep, YEP!  everything but the hickory, and maple should be good for over 6 months,  a pond would be too sweet.  Logs off the ground, end seal, make sure you leave them over length, a foot would not hurt anything. david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Cedarman

Debarking the pine as soon as it hits the ground might be advisable.  I know it would with our white pine, but don't know if that is true with your southern pine.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

drobertson

cedarman, I thought this too,  one of the bigger local mills debarks all their logs, just went by today, and thought how nice that would be.  If it were possible, this would be the best case senario in my opinion as well.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

justallan1

One thing I will add is try to figure out now where your mill will be when you get it and put yor logs where it will benifit you the most later. You may be able to save your self having to move every one of them again. Just a thought.
Allan

bandmiller2

Logs stored in a pond is like meat stored in a freezer, it will last.I would just store the very best, well up off the ground.After pine is stored a wile the bark will loosen thats the time to peel,that will extend its storage life.The sooner you get your mill the better.Oh and welcome. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

qbilder

One of the best woods we have in the US is dogwood, if you have anything large enough to mill. Very fine textured, hard, beautiful wood. It's like sugar maple heartwood in texture but with cherry color. 
God bless our troops

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, chuckhole.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ayerwood

I was glad to see this post because I had these same questions about Douglas Fir. Any ideas?

5quarter

See if you can sell the holly. It grey stains in days, in some cases hours.  ;)  Ideally, you pull your mill to the tree, fell it onto the mill, saw it and immediately stack it in the portable kiln that you have brought along for good measure. I know alot of people who would buy snow white holly, but no one who buys grey stained holly.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

chuckhole

Thanks all. I can see that the biggest benefit would be for me to get my mill sooner rather than later and leave as many of the best trees in the ground until I am ready for them. I have always considered holly to be a "weed" because of the way the root system shoots accross the ground. I did not know it could be a good lumber to think about.

I see that the way I have approached my clearing and removal has to change. I will definitely have to be better orgainized when considering it as a source of lumber. And it is going to be better than burning it all up.

bandmiller2

Seems strange to hear folks talk about milling dogwood and holly,up here in the northeast their boath just ornimental shrubs or small trees.Where I live holly will just hang on,drive southeast 60 miles and it does very well on Cape Cod,of course their in a different zone due to the sea. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Bogue Chitto

If you have a pond you can store your logs forever.  The only bad part is that they will stink when you saw them.  The stink will go away when the lumber dries. 

Leigh Family Farm

The pond storage is pretty cool. Who goes and gets the logs in the middle of the pond?  :D :D
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Thank You Sponsors!