iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

waterproof finish

Started by Qweaver, February 07, 2013, 01:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

I'm using a waterbased stain, sanding sealer, and two coats of lacquer on my interior wood projects.  Mainly because of fast drying time and a short time between coats.  But I'm now concerned about water spots on the shelves and tables in the Man Cave.  Lots of cold cans and spills are likely.

I remember my pro painter dad saying that you can varnish over lacquer but not lacquer over varnish.  Is the same true for polyurethane?  Can I put a moisture barrier over the lacquer with poly?

Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Tree Feller

First, polyurethane is a varnish and yes, you can apply it over lacquer if you scuff sand the lacquer well. Poly doesn't adhere very well to other finishes or even to itself after it has cured so that's the reason for the scuff sanding. A sanding block and P220 grit is what I would use.

I would only put the poly on the horizontal surfaces...the shelves and tabletops...the vertical surfaces should be fine with the lacquer top coat.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Thank You Sponsors!