iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Silencing mill engines?

Started by Brad_bb, February 07, 2013, 09:54:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

I don't have a mill yet, But they seem pretty loud.  Why haven't they figured out a way to really muffle the sound?  To silence them to make them really quiet?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

millstead

If you wanted a mill that is not loud you could.  Get an electric
Mill the downside is your mill is stationary

Schramm

Who makes electric?  I didnt think that was an option with Woodmizer.  I wouldnt had minded that as I have no intention of taking mine anywhere but where I put it.  I have room for it in my building but I am worried about exhaust fumes.

tyb525

Yes WM does. I think Bibbyman and ElectricAl are using electric Woodmizers.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Schramm

I called WoodMizer this morning and they said that the 10hp electric is only for the LT15, I have the LT10, dont really understand why it wouldnt work for the 10 but who am I to argue.

Rob

Bibbyman

I often complain to Wood-Mizer that they treat their electric mills like red headed stepchildren.  They don't advertise them or expand the electric motor option to many of their mill models.   You can also get an electric motor on the LT40 Super, LT50 and LT70. I don't think a motor is optional on the LT28 or LT35.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Ianab

It's possible to make a gas engine much quieter by fitting an aftermarket muffler. Wont be as quiet as an electric, but it should possible to get the engine noise down to comparable to the blade noise, and there is no point going much quieter than that.

Why don't they do it? Cost, and the engine isn't as compact any more (with a honking big car type muffler poking out the top. But on a mill you can mount a length of pipe and big can up top out of the way

But look at those little poirtable 4 stroke Honda generators for example? Much quieter than a standard Briggs $ Stratton, or even a normal Honda stationary engine.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Fla._Deadheader

Quotedont really understand why it wouldnt work for the 10 but who am I to argue.

If you have any kind of mechanical ability, just put one on anyway.

I put an electric motor on my Peterson WPF mill. It's interchangable with my planer.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Bibbyman

The latest diesel engines used on Wood-Mizer are quieter than the older engines.

Besides being quieter, electric motors are dirt cheap to run and vertical maintenance free.  If you don't need mobile, electric is a winner in every category.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Delawhere Jack

I wanna put Cherry Bombs on the old Onan!  smiley_devil

Why let the Harley guys have all the hearing loss?  :D

hackberry jake

My mill came with a 13hp honda. I swapped it out with a 20hp honda v-twin. I had clearance issues with the exhaust so I just bought some black gas pipe and a couple screw on mufflers and fabbed up a new exhaust. It sounds just like a Harley! I always wear ear plugs.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Ianab

There are Mufflers, and there are Exhaust Systems....

They may not always be the same thing...   :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

davey duck

I put a 10 hp electric motor on my bandsaw when I built it so I would not have to hear it inside the building,all I hear is the blade.David
David G.Fleming

Harry George

I have an LT40 with the 35.9 diesel. There is an optional remote controls see (command Control)
This feature allows you two great advantages
One: you are away from the noice of the engine
Two: You are away from the dust. This engine swiles the dust back to the the front of the LT40's radiator and if you do not have the option all that dust is in your face

I love it
"Life is a participation sport, get in the game"

rockman

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on February 07, 2013, 05:38:24 PM

WHAT????

Kevin
kioti ck-20 loader backhoe, box blade, disk, log arch
Husqvarna 455 rancher
Lincoln Ranger 10,000 welder

tyb525

Quote from: rockman on February 07, 2013, 07:57:50 PM
Quote from: Delawhere Jack on February 07, 2013, 05:38:24 PM

WHAT????

Kevin

Cherry bombs would be fairly quiet actually. Also extending the muffler up vertically with a flapper on top will direct a lot of the sound upwards away from you.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

pineywoods

Quote from: Schramm on February 07, 2013, 11:47:17 AM
I called WoodMizer this morning and they said that the 10hp electric is only for the LT15, I have the LT10, dont really understand why it wouldnt work for the 10 but who am I to argue.

Rob

Electric motors are HEAVY. Have to beef up the head lift stuff...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

tyb525

What pineywoods said, the lt10 head is not built as heavy as the lt15 head. And a 10hp electric is much heavier than a 10 hp gas. Which is why I sort of gave up putting a bigger engine on mine, it would take a bunch of beefing up to support the weight and torque.

bandmiller2

Most engine manufacturers have optional quieter mufflers.When I had the two cylinder wisconsin engine on my bandmill I made  an add on muffler clamped to the origional mufflers output. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Don_Papenburg

Make your muff out of scd.80 pipe 
The mass of metal makes the music mellower.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Compensation

So the kohler 7hp weighs 39lbs and the 14hp version weighs 73lbs. That 34lb difference  is almost 2 engines. I am doing the swap anyways, i dont like having to push the head down.
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

dboyt

The 23hp Briggs Vangard is no louder than a garden tractor-- the chain saw is a much bigger issue.  The best muffler is inexpensive, moves easily from one machine to another, and protects your eyes, face, & head, as well.

Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Schramm

Well I opted for the 10HP when I bought my mill I am hoping to set it up this weekend in my woodshop.  This raises a question, when I am running the machine indoors can I simply open the overhead door or is it better to find a way to exhaust it differently?  I would think that opening the overhead would be enough.

Let me know
Rob

tyb525

I think the 10hp will do fine for hobby use. It just takes a little longer in the really wide cuts :) You should be ok with the door open, that's what I did when mine was in a barn.

Schramm

That is what I thought as well.

Rob

Thank You Sponsors!