iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

dozer

Started by MICKEY108, February 06, 2013, 11:16:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MICKEY108

i need a dozer to built roads for a 240A timberjack what size what do the job and what brand deere cat case thanks for any help im also on a tight budget

woodlogging2012

a cat d5 or d6 would do the job we got a d7 with a 12ft blade and its too much
Dylan Wood

hu5qvarna395xp

Anywhere from a 550 to a 750 jd
Jd an franklin skidders,husqvarna saws,prentice loaders an mack trucks that's how we roll!!!

Maine372

Isnt the point of a skidder was to go where there are no roads?

coxy

i have 2 350 jds one goes with my 518 cat the other goes with my case i dont have any trouble building roads with them as you know the cat is almost 10 ft wide  the 350 is just what i prefure  good luck on what you get

lumberjack48

Quote from: coxy on February 07, 2013, 06:45:28 AM
i have 2 350 jds one goes with my 518 cat the other goes with my case i dont have any trouble building roads with them as you know the cat is almost 10 ft wide  the 350 is just what i prefure  good luck on what you get
I don't understand what your using the cats for. The 518 will push more then a 350 JD.
I built truck road as i logged a lot of the time, especially in the winter months.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

captain_crunch

When you are on ground like this you would understand building skid roads with a cat
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

John Woodworth

To start with shopping with a tight budget you are going to have to be careful with your shopping and usuall the biggest and costliest factor on a cat is the undercarriage, takes lots of wood to justify a cat just for building skidroads, fuel and upkeep will eat you up. I,ve logged hillsides with yarders on both sides with just two skid roads to the top,  pict your turn and go over the bank keeping the blade down and once tou hook the turn leave it drag 10-15ft. behind. The other come over the top pushing dirt and every time you come down the same path push more, I've pushed skid roads that at the end you could drive a pickup up afterwords. If you have to have a cat judging by th size of wood your showing I'd look for something in the JD 450 range, JD is going to be the cheapest overall for repairs and parts, try to get one with a winch and stub arch with fairlead. Good luck to you.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

Bobus2003

I've got a JD550G that I use for Road building.. after Breaking the Blade on the 440 a couple times this was a much better idea

loggah

I have a older cat D5 i have used for years ,building roads, and  skid trails, its big enough to pull trucks also,it  don't take long to level loads of gravel.  Heres a picture of it its  1978 vintage its up on some blocks  behind my portable Belsaw.The case 850 is a good woods tractor also.Don

Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Qweaver

A big consideration for me was how much I could legally carry on my trailer.  I got an older Case 450  which got me to about 25,000 lbs.  If you have a CDL or are a farmer you can ignore that.  The 450 is just about perfect for what I do.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Thank You Sponsors!