iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Slabbed a large hickory log today....

Started by JSwigga, February 06, 2013, 10:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JSwigga

This thing took 6 chains and one of my fathers vertebrae to get it done.  Talk about hard and heavy!

60" Lucas Dedicated Slabber, TimberKing 2200 , 5 ton Nissan forklift, John Deere FEL

rooster 58

Wow, that's a crotch that's bigger than, well, never mind :-X One DanGed nice slab o' wood 8)

Okrafarmer

Very nice! Welcome to the Forum, JSwigga. Where do you live? Nice sawmill and nice hickory.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

hackberry jake

I LOVE the way hickory looks, I haven't had much luck with drying it straight and check-less though.  :(
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Magicman

Wow, what a slab, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

JSwigga

I live in Southern New Jersey just outside of Philadelphia.  Thanks for the warm welcome! We have it anchor sealed, banded and under two big cherry flitches air drying right now.  Hopefully she holds together.
60" Lucas Dedicated Slabber, TimberKing 2200 , 5 ton Nissan forklift, John Deere FEL

Harry George

Nice Slab BIG John
Snow is coming better get that under cover
"Life is a participation sport, get in the game"

JSwigga

This is "a little less big" Josh haha.  If you asked my dad what a internet forum was he would say, it's the spot between the internets wrist and elbow.

drobertson

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Harry George

Tell your Dad I said Howdy
Nice work on the Hickory
"Life is a participation sport, get in the game"

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
That crotch is....... bigger than an elephant's! :D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

fishpharmer

Nice slabs JSwigga!

You used six chains and met no metal?  Hickory must be the devil ;) 

What kind of chains are you running?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: clww on February 07, 2013, 07:50:14 PM
Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
That crotch is....... bigger than an elephant's! :D

:o :o :o 
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

JSwigga

oregon 27rx.  Hickory is harder than woodpecker lips.  haha   I could of got more out of each chain but why struggle when you can spend 5 mins and swap it out for a sharp one and get a better finish.

fishpharmer

Better finish is better :)  I am not that quick changing chains.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

JSwigga

Oh.. this is the bottom of that hickory we still have yet to cut.  My buddy Rob and Ed had a fun time moving it around today.   We might try out a carbide tip chain on this.  Not sure if I wanna shell out the money for the chain. 
@fishpharmer - ok ok you got me... 7 mins! :D

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

I really like blue paint on the ends of a log. When I had blue-painted logs, it made me feel special.  ;)
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

WDH

I don't like paint because you cannot see the growth rings.  With regular anchorseal, you can see the growth rings.  It may not matter with a lot of mills, but it really helps to set up you cutting pattern if you can see the growth rings.  With slabs, that is probably not so important.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Okrafarmer on February 07, 2013, 08:39:49 PM
I really like blue paint on the ends of a log. When I had blue-painted logs, it made me feel special.  ;)

Anchor Seal comes in colors. I got the Red.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

Can you see the growth rings through the red color?

JSwigga

yea thats blue colored anchor seal.  You can see the growth rings just fine. 

WDH

Awesome!  Hopefully that log won't be the  smiley_devil!

qbilder

A pain to saw, a pain to dry, but hickory is probably my favorite wood. Nothing prettier. Great log you got there!!!! Is that pignut?
God bless our troops

Thank You Sponsors!