iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skid steer and forest mulcher rental near Rhode Island?

Started by logman81, February 06, 2013, 01:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

Hey all, Things are going good with the c5 havn't had any problems this far. I have a question for you, I have been approched by a customer looking to clear a two acre house lot. Most of which has small trees from 2'' to about 8'' real twisted nasty russian olive and grape vines and such. :D They would like to have it mulched up with a mulcher. So I am trying to find a rental place that rents a skid steer with a mulcher head? Any leads would be good.
Precision Firewood & Logging

stumpjumper83

They might want it mowed with a mulcher but i dont think thats the correct answer.  Viny type material can wrap and wind around the head making a mess as well it does not mulch well.  Also with a mulcher stumps and roots will be left, stumps dont grade well.  A better method is to use a small excavator with a thumb or a skidloader with a grapple rake, uproot and remove the entire tree, and pile and burn.  Or at least that is what i do for customers here in pa.

To answer your question contact your local caterpillar dealer for skid loader with mulcher rental.  Only way I'd mulch is if they were clearing out undergrowth in an area that wasnt going to be otherwise desturbed.  Or if I suggested they dig them and they refused...

Ed_K

Your going to need a fecon head and 100 hp tractor to do that job.The mulcher will down the tree vines and grind the stumps all in one operation.Goin-a be expensive tho.
Ed K

logman81

Thier is a very small amount of viny material. It is mostly small ugly trees and under brush. I had thought about a small excavator to do it but time is a factor and would like to do it quickly. I did fined a place in Lynn Mass Landry rentals that does rent this type of setup aswell as other forestry equipment, so I'll get a price for the rental and go from there.

EricR

I would pull them out, russian olives regenerate very easily and they are invasives.  From my experience they pop out pretty easy. I would think the blade on your c5 could pop out most of them.  from the little experience ive had with them, mulchers dont really seem to leave you a finished product, and are more fun to watch on youtube then run,  but that may just be the operator

logman81

yes they are real problem here, yes they don't have much of a root system. My c5 is on a job right now. I'm trying to only have to deal eith this stuff once and handle it as little as possible.

logman81

Ok guys I got a price on renting a mulcher here goes!
770 loader 375.00 per day
G2 cutter 400.00 per day
Delivery & pickup 340.00 each way
Fuel 150.00
plus mass sales tax

What do you think is this a fair price or is it not. Keep in mined they are the only ones that rent this kind of equipment that are reasonably close to me. Just need to figure out what I'm worth per hour to operate it? 8)

Ed_K

Might be cheaper to rent it for a month.I rented a jd450g that way for doing some land clearing.
Ed K

lumberjack48

I did a piece of land, 2 to 4 inch Aspen and Black Alder. With the wife on the skidder, me on the ground running 6 chokers. I hooked and she pulled-em out roots an all, pull head a 100' or so, and i'd unhook. It didn't take long to cover a lot of ground. But most people don't like to run like i did. We pushed it in piles and had a truck pick it up. You could burn the piles.

Other wise i think a dozer with a rake would work the best.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Holmes

I believe Piston has a neighbor that does that work from Upton Ma. area.  You could PM piston and ask. May be cheaper to hire a man and equipment for a day.
Think like a farmer.

sjfarkas

I have a bobcat with g2 and I charge $150/hr.  I burn about 6gph.  Hope that helps.
Always try it twice, the first time could've been a fluke.

logman81

yes it does thanks. How fast will it clear small tree and brush

sjfarkas

There are a lot of factors.  The more brittle the material the easier it is.  Diameter is a factor too.  If the wood is over 6 inches you start to wonder if it would be quicker to cut and chip.  For a clean job in tough material 5 hrs/acre maybe more.  Light brittle brush can be done in 2 hrs/acre.
Always try it twice, the first time could've been a fluke.

logman81

Ok thanks that helps alot. They also want the stumps out and s rough grade when done. So I going to rent a big mini excavatot with thumb to do that part. So far they want to go ahead with it.

QwikDraw

Bobcat of CT rents a Fecon equiped machine, it was 750 per day a few years back.  Autumn Olive mulches up pretty good.  You'd have to plan on 2 days.  My Supertrak could probably do 2 acres in a day no problem, I normally figure on that.  I'd use a Bradco root rake on the skid steer or excavators for stumps.

logman81

Thankc Quickdraw I'll call them up. I figurd a day to a day in a half.. They have a weekend special, drop it of on friday and pick it up on monday pay for one day.

logman81

Well I got the job! So I'll be renting the mulcher and a mini excavator with thumb to dig the stumps. I'll take some pics once I start it. Should be fun never used a mulcher before.

beenthere

Anxious here to see how it works out for you. Something I've thought about doing as well.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

logman81

So finally got the mulcher rented for next weekend! Can't wait to try it out. I'll take lots of pics.

redprospector

Good luck!
Since you said that you've never ran a "mulcher" before, I'll say that sometimes there is a steep learning curve.
Just remember that putting more pressure on the head (pushing it into the ground) doesn't make it grind better. Keep a light hand on the joystick and you'll be ok. You want the head to just kinda "float" across the ground.
Looking forward to pictures.

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

QwikDraw

good luck with it.  I'm working in Voluntown, i've been ending up in Westerly ever time I need someting...

logman81

QwikDraw

Not great. Doing a 26 acre clear cut, mostly low and mid grade all going to Rossi. I thought it would be better but it's not opening up to good. I was told that's just how it is around here. Heading to Stonington next week for another CC.

logman81

Thats not good, :( Maybe it will get better. How is the pricing a Rossi? Stonington has some nice wood, I know a guy that has cut some nice hardwood there 2' to 3' at dbh and nice and clear. Good luck hope it gets better for you. ;)

logman81

Mulcher is being delivered tomorrow any last minute tips?

Thank You Sponsors!