iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mr Fox visits my mill today

Started by Larry, April 04, 2004, 04:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

Came home with a load of logs this afternoon.  As I approached the mill I could see a visitor sitting on a wagon load of red oak.  When I got closer, I could see him start to inspect all of my lumber and my mill.  Before I could get to the mill to introduce myself, he took off.  Hope the next time he visits he sticks around a little longer and brings money. :D ;D :D

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Kevin

sawwood

It has been a while that i have seen a Fox. We had one by
 where i work. Work is close to the Mo River ans there are
 some woods close. May be next time you can git a closer
 shot of him.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

shopteacher

Careful when striking a deal with the fox Larry.  You got to get up pretty early to out fox the fox.  Next thing you know he'll own you mill and you'll be working for him. :D
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

CHARLIE

Back in the early '70s, when prices for fox fur was good, people hunted them a lot here in SE Minnesota. They'd catch them in the wintertime sunning on the side of a snowcovered hill. But then the prices for fur made it not worthwhile.  Now, it's rare to see one.  People think it may be because the coyote's are moving in and killing the fox. I'm not sure if that is right but could be..... ::)  
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Kevin

Rabies and coyotes are tough on the fox population.

Jeff

Larry, if yer coyotes eat yer watermelons whats that fox after?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bibbyman

Sawwood,  back thirty years ago there were foxes runnin' all over where I work.  Now the few that are left look like someone's grandma... ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Tom

We don't see them too often around here either but the quail population is still down.  I blame the foxes and the cats people turn loose out here.

The foxes are sure pretty and I enjoy seeing them running across a cow pasture.  Hmmm some of the cats are pretty neat too.  It's a shame those people in town don't realize the fix they put the cat in when they turned it loose.

Larry

I have been seeing that fox almost every day for about the past week usually in the same area.  I think most of the time they are nocturnal hunters.  I'm guessing that the reason I see it is because it has a litter of kits to feed really close.  It's about the right time of the year.  I would like to find the den to see if I could get a picture of the little ones.

Kevin, that fox would make a nice fashion statement on my Carhartt hood instead of the usual coyote fur. ;D ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

Kevin

Looking good is everything.  :D

oldsaw-addict

Careful when striking a deal with the fox Larry.  You got to get up pretty early to out fox the fox.  Next thing you know he'll own you mill and you'll be working for him :D
Just dont sign anything and you wont have too much to worry about. :D

I think the fox would make a right nice pet for me, When can ya have him here? I'd enjoy having something that beautiful for a pet, or maybe a larger picture of him and I could replace the ancient Stihl051 pic I have for a background on my PC. He is a pretty looking animal, like my siberian Husky mix I have. that I'll save for another thread if I feel like the forum get too dull and sleepy ;D
Let there be saws for all mankind!

UNCLEBUCK

great to have a camera handy for photos like that , all the fox are gone where i live from mange and froze out , got plenty of skunks though ! about 5 years ago had fox everywhere and no chickens  :D
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Stan

Y'all better have your sinus passages plugged up if you're gonna make a pet outa a fox. They smell pretty bad.  :-/
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Patty

They may stink, but they make really pretty fur coats. ;D
So do coyote by the way. In high school my mom made me a fur coat out of beaver hide. It was great, my sister got the one she made from skunk.   :o Served her right, I figured. ;D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Larry

Kevin said it all "Looking good is everything."

If they got a litter of kits I'll wait until the fur is prime this fall and get out my pea shooter.  I'll tan the hides and Patty you do the sewing and we can be the envy of the FF. :D :D :D

Patty

Sounds like a good plan Larry, you know me, always a statement of Fashion!
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Larry

I was out mushroom picking yesterday and heard a sound sorta like a turkey yelp only a lot louder and not quite the same tone.  Turned around and Mr Fox was looking at me from about 50 yards away.  Figured I was close to something so looked around a little more and found the den.  Hole in a dirt bluff with an escape hatch about 30' away on top of the bluff.  All the time Mr Fox was yelping at me so I left right away as I didn't want to cause any discord in the family.

I ought to take them some watermelons tomorrow to see if foxes like them as much as the coyotes do.  Jeff would never believe it unless I got a picture. ;D ;D :D :D ;D ;D

Tom

My wife hollered at me the other night to come look.   There was  a big red fox in the front yard.  He took off, likity split, across the ditch and into the woods.

Stan

The first year my paw took me deer huntin' he put me in a tree on the side of the mountain. I didn't see any deer but a great horned owl landed next door, and argued with the crows for a while. Then a silver fox came by just to see what all the commotion was about. Don't see them silvers any more.  :-/
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Thank You Sponsors!