iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Alaska Chainsaw Mill Saw choice

Started by Timbercruiser, February 06, 2013, 06:56:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timbercruiser

I want to buy a Alaska Mill. Is a saw like a husky 390 or 660 stihl Big enough to run a 36 inch bar on a Alaska mill ??  Im not sure what size to buy and dont want to be under powered.

HolmenTree

Depends how much lumber you're planning on cutting. Husky 395XP would be a better choice in the 390 / 660 dept.
If you're really serious Husky 3120XP    or    880 / 090AV Stihl .
I prefer my 090, just can't wear it out.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

mad murdock

What is the average dia. log you will be milling?  I would gear up for that.  If you are going to be consistently milling 24" plus dia logs, I would go as big as you can afford.  Look at used saws as well, you can often get more cc's for less money, I got an 075 Stihl for free, tho it needed about 40 bucks worth of parts to get going good.  It came with a 36" roller nose bar. Maybe you can find an old Pioneer? They made some stout saws of larger cc.
If you go new, you will be spending nigh on 2,000.00 for a big saw.  The smallest I would go is a 395 ish size, unless you will be only getting in to the 24" plus dia logs once in a great while.  I have a 372XPW and it does well, for most of my milling, the 075 comes out for the big logs.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

HolmenTree

I believe legendary Alaskan sawmiller author Will Malloff from the PNW mentioned using old gear drive saws. I have no experience with gear drive saws but they sound like they would be suitable for ripping off those big slabs and ripping the full width cants.
www.spirit-wrestlers.com/excerpts/Inquirer/People/Malloff_Will.html

Ianab

An old Stihl 090G would probably be Holy Grail of milling saws  :D

But a good one of them is likely to cost more than a new MS660.  :o

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

HolmenTree

Quote from: Ianab on February 06, 2013, 04:24:35 PM
An old Stihl 090G would probably be Holy Grail of milling saws  :D

But a good one of them is likely to cost more than a new MS660.  :o

Ian
Now that you mentioned that Ian if I remember correctly Will Malloff used a 090G in his book that I mentioned in my last post.
I loaned that book to a fellow logger about 20 yrs ago and haven't seen it or him since.

Thank You Sponsors!