iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Honda engine

Started by Rick Stanley, February 05, 2013, 10:12:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Stanley

My friend has a CHampion band mill with a 13 hp Honda motor. It runs great, lots of power, no problem. It is a tiger to start if you're not careful. It kicks back like crazy if you don't pull hard and straight with both hands. He went to have an X-ray today to see if his finger was broken because of this and he is a rugged guy. Not broken. He bought it used and says it has always done it but seems worse now. WHat would cause that?
Garn WHS-2000 delivered 10-10-08 placed in service 10-16-09
150 Acre Woodlot
Husky 55 Rancher
S8 IH Skidder
4ft. American Wood Splitter
Pto Cord Wood Saw
484 IH Farm Tractor
6522 Honda Compac

Chuck White

Wow!  That just doesn't sound right, Honda engines usually start real easy!  :-\
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I can not answer you question Rick, but I have had this happen before during my life on the farm.
Something like that can pull back so fast and hard....something's got to give. Hope your friend is OK.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

turbo885

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: turbo885 on February 05, 2013, 10:18:48 PM
check the flywheel key

DanG TURBO......Your very first post......WELCOME.

Rick Stanley

Quote from: turbo885 on February 05, 2013, 10:18:48 PM
check the flywheel key

Thanks Turbo. I think that makes sense. I'll tell him.

Garn WHS-2000 delivered 10-10-08 placed in service 10-16-09
150 Acre Woodlot
Husky 55 Rancher
S8 IH Skidder
4ft. American Wood Splitter
Pto Cord Wood Saw
484 IH Farm Tractor
6522 Honda Compac

thecfarm

turbo888 is right and welcome to the forum. I use lawn mowers as mini bush hogs. If the key has been stripped a little it will really buck. But that only happens when I hit a rock or a stump too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: thecfarm on February 05, 2013, 10:25:36 PM
turbo888 is right and welcome to the forum. I use lawn mowers as mini bush hogs. If the key has been stripped a little it will really buck. But that only happens when I hit a rock or a stump too.

:D :D :D :D Sounds like you're rough on a mower.

thecfarm

Anything more than a year is a bonus.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

hamish

Have him check his belt tension, seems like its just the bbelt grabbing the pullery and trying to convince the cast bandwheel to move.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

sawguy21

If the key is ok remove the spark plug and valve cover. Pull the rope slowly and watch the valves. One, likely the exhaust, should move slightly as the piston comes up on the compression stroke. If nothing happens the compression release on the camshaft has failed.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Slab Slicer

I'm with sawguy21 on this one. I've seen these fail before, and it will nearly tear your fingers off when it grabs.  :o
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

hamish

Quote from: sawguy21 on February 05, 2013, 10:36:38 PM
If the key is ok remove the spark plug and valve cover. Pull the rope slowly and watch the valves. One, likely the exhaust, should move slightly as the piston comes up on the compression stroke. If nothing happens the compression release on the camshaft has failed.

Sawguy21 has a common issue on the 13hp Hondas pegged, take two seconds to remove the belt from then engine and pull it over,  A failed ACR will be evident right away, no sense pulling the valve cover et al.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

schakey

About 3 years ago had a lawnmower kickback pulling the rope handle through my hand laying me wide open. After leaving the hospital
went and brought an electric start mower.
Think-Dream-Plan-Do

sprucebunny

I have the same issue on the same motor. How do you fix the compression release ?

I've already replaced the motor but would like to be able to sell the one I took off.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Al_Smith

If the valve retard isn't working on a Honda,Kohler or Wisconsin engine they can come back with a vengence .Some Briggs engines used them some did not .

A D-handle will save a certain amount of trying to seperate the fingers from their hand .

jacksaws

Hi guts i havent posted i in awhile but i have a Honda 13hp and it kicks so hard it jerks the handle out of my hand, i only have 3 fingers left on my hand and i just cant hold it. Mine jerks so hard when the handle hits the housing it will break a new crank rope. I would sure like some help on how to fix this and some more imformation on it .     Thanks Jacksaws.
jacksaws

losttheplot

I don't know how good they are, but you can get an electric start kit for the Honda GX 390 from E-bay.
They are pretty cheap, I doubt they would work without the decompression release functioning though.
DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK !

chuckhole

I have the electric start on my GX390 (mounted on a Ditch Witch) and I love it. The option added over $250 to the price of the motor when I bought it new for $960 a couple of years ago. I use the small lawn and garden battery for it (around 250 cca) and keep it on a little 12v solar maintainer.
Wanting to build a band saw mill for my 42 acres of heavily wooded country place.
40x60 Man Cave, Kubota RTV 900, Kubota L2800 4WD tractor, John Deere 310G 4WD Backhoe, trailers and implements.

Thank You Sponsors!