iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Day when Everything Clicks

Started by Magicman, February 05, 2013, 09:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

We often read about bad days when everything seems to go bad/wrong.  Well my today was not that way.  I logged on to the FF this morning and was greeted with several uplifting PM's.  7:00 AM found me at the customer's location finishing up a 2,674 bf framing lumber job.  Not bad for 10½ hours sawing

I did not get a picture of the finished job, but these 2X4's & 2X8's are the beginning.  For those that want to know, yes it will later be loaded on a trailer and hauled to a shed where it will be re-stickered.

Then a company from Georgia that is building a log house contacted me about splitting three logs for them.  Sure, just meet me in (Son) Marty's back yard and I'll do it.

Split them 3 7/8" down from the top.

And then load up the halves.  He asked "how much"?  I replied, "I can't charge you for doing that".  He reaches into this pocket and pulls out a money clip, pays me twice more than I ever would have ever charged him, and then says, "here is a tip, take your wife out to dinner".   :)

So I now settle down and saw some Cedar for myself. 

Two more ERC logs to go.

This will be my wall paneling and ceiling for the mud room in the Cabin Addition.

Yup, there are days when everything clicks.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

swampbuggy

If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Magic, in the 2nd pic.....the end of the log looks like the top of a salt shaker.  say_what
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

Profit margin was way up on that job Lynn!  ;)  :)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

beenthere

David
Maybe the lathe doing the profiling of the logs?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: beenthere on February 05, 2013, 10:08:30 PM
David
Maybe the lathe doing the profiling of the logs?

U R probably right. Did not think of that.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Yup lathe or whatever they call it.  He said that when he got further along he would need more logs trimmed, and he also invited me out to the log house building site for a look-see.

swampbuggy, I think that it will be Friday night.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

justallan1

Those are the days that make you forget about some of the others. Luckily my job on a ranch allows me 90% good days, a couple bad and the rest great. It makes it all worth it.

GDinMaine

Thanks,  that is great.  Off to the mill I go in a medium snowfall this morning with the warm fuzzy feeling that some days really just click.  1-2" snow expected today, but it's going to be warm  31F.  No sawing tomorrow in the 9F weather with 15-17mph winds. 
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

Bogue Chitto

Why did they want that log split MM. ???

beenthere

Prolly the top log of the wall, or other sills? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Skoalbandit78

Glad you had a good day magic man, everyone deserves one every once in a while!

AK Newbie

A sweet day indeed!  Thanks for sharing with all the great pics!
LT28, Logosol M7, Husky 385XP, Stihl MS 250, Echo

Happycamper

I'm new to the forum but have read many of your post with help,information etc., because you are honest and straight forward you have earned the respect of the forum and all the people you saw for. That is exactly why you are so busy and in demand, and well paid. Keep up the good work.
                             Best Regards,
                                   Jim
Wether you think you can or you can't you're right

Tim Lea

JohnM

Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Magicman

Thank you for the kind words Happycamper, and everyone else.  Jim, I missed your first post on Monday, but Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  How about an introduction thread and telling a bit about yourself and your logging/sawing/timber/woodworking interest.   :)

Happycamper

MM,
Have had wood, sawdust and the smell of pitch in my veins all my life. Journeyman carpenter, have done some Timber Jack skidding, tailed making  RR ties with a friend with his home made circular mill, table saws, 16" Makita planer plus what goes with them. Have had a burning desire all my life to saw and never had the opportunity to do it. So I recently bought a new LT10 and will bring it home when the snow goes down. Meanwhile have made the beams and trusses for the mill shed and will erect them when weather clears. Have some 24" cedars that blew down that I want to saw and will get a load of logs in March to practice on. I envy all you fellows that were smarter than myself and bought your mills a little before I did. I'm told better late than never so here goes. I'll use my 1940 International "H" for lifting the logs up to a platform level with the mill and my 1949 "JD M" to do the skidding. Not having any luck with photos so can put any in the message
  Happy sawing I'll join you soon.
                        Jim

thecfarm

I'd be a Happycamper to with a brand new LT10.  ;D  Welcome to the forum.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Delawhere Jack

Welcome to the forum Jim. I think you'll find that even an average day milling beats doing a day doing almost anything else.  :)

saxon0364

Quote from: Happycamper on February 06, 2013, 10:43:05 AM
I'm new to the forum but have read many of your post with help,information etc., because you are honest and straight forward you have earned the respect of the forum and all the people you saw for. That is exactly why you are so busy and in demand, and well paid. Keep up the good work.
                             Best Regards,
                                   Jim

I gotta agree. When your on the forum sometimes you say to yourself, Id like to spend a few days working with that guy. Might learn a thing or two.   Magicman is in that category.
Nothing wrong with quiet.

clww

I'm glad you had a "perfect" day, Lynn. I know you work hard when you're at it, for the customers and sawing for yourself. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Happycamper

Thanks for the welcome thecfarm,Delaware Jack and Saxon 364, if it wasn't for the drive from here I would be happy to spend some hours with MM when he was sawing. He appears to do a lot of sawing and he's not doing it with a new mill either which tells me he's careful, not rushing and has a good maintenance routine. Fortunately I'm not in a hurry or I would have the mill home now ( but I am getting itchey), waited all my life for this one. I will have some already pealed logs to learn on which will be a help and only 8 ft.long from 4" to 24" in diameter so will get the feel of the mill with different sizes of log. Wondering what is involved to post pictures if anyone can offer a suggestion.
                                   Jim

thecfarm

Happycamper,you have a picture in your avatar,so you are well on your way. This will explain it all.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,61788.0.html

If you have trouble give us a shout,someone will save ya.
By the way what will all the lumber be used for??

Thank You Sponsors!