iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gas and oil jug

Started by Atlantic Trader, February 05, 2013, 08:13:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlantic Trader

Does anyone remember those containers that had the gas and chain oil in the same jug. I wonder if they are still out there for sale.

Onthesauk

Available at Baileys I think.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

DigDug

CTL logger

I just threw one out the new ones with the carb compliant spout are horrible, if it sits in a heated garage and you push the spout in to pour it sprays gas all over you, really safe spout glad there wasn't an open flame nearby.

Atlantic Trader

Thanks guys that was easy, I havent seen these around in about 20 years, Iam not sure if anyone sells these in Canada.

beenthere

CTL
Learned real quick to push the button down before there is any fuel there to burp all over.  ;D

I quit using my oil/fuel combo when the new 'carb' compliant from Bailey's were available. I like them a lot.
But have to remember not to tighten the ring nut too tight that holds the spout on or it will split. Then have to buy the whole new spout for $11.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Atlantic Trader, I have not seen them either. Maybe there are none CSA approved. I know in the woods thinning they are always watching lables on crown land. We even have these WHIMIS tags we have to keep on the gas jugs.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Atlantic Trader

swamp donkey
All I can say is wow WHMIS labels...safety first. Yearsback like I had said I usedto see alot of the hand cutters using them in Cape Breton it saved on havingto carry two jugs, although it didnt hold as much, you could top it up before going in to the cutting block in the morning and it would last for a few days. We used to trail cut pulpwood for a forwarder and often it was a long hard walk across the slash and every pound you had to carry counted...especially after putting in a full day moving and piling 8' wood by hand.

clww

I got one a couple years ago. I never got the hang of it and went back to two separate containers.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Gary_C

Ya, those combination gas and oil jugs make it easier to put oil in the gas tank and vise versa. And it's also easier to forget to put the caps back on both gas and oil tanks on your saw. But don't worry, you'll know what has happened when the gas and oil runs down your pants leg and on to your boots.  ;D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

tempforce

sounds like a nice item. i'm using the two container method with a belt through both containers handle, to pack em over my shoulder with.
cleaning up wildfire damage...
making lumber and siding out of wildfire damaged trees.

BBTom

I have spilled tens times as much fuel using the new CARB approved spouts than I ever did using the old style.  They don't open when they are supposed to and so you have to shove on them harder , then they open up and push the saw over and spill gas on everything because they didn't shut off like they are supposed to.  I consider the entire regulation a complete cluster uhhh mess.  When will they learn that when they try to make things idiot proof, they just breed better idiots. 
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

beenthere

Never had a spill problem, and use the jugs for chainsaw gas, another for diesel fuel, and one for regular non-ethanol fuel.

But I see there are different designs that are CARB approved, and the ones I have are the No-Spill from Bailey's.  Have a button to push with thumb, so maybe better control of spills.
http://www.baileysonline.com/category.asp?catid=149
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Decked

We always used rinsed-out laundry detergent jugs..nice pour spout, excess runs back into container. Orange ones for gas..blue for B/C oil.Tie handles together with a 2ft. piece of rope. Screw any 'regulations' on that particular item :snowball:

NWP

I had one. The "approved" spouts were a pain in the neck. One spout finally got to where you couldn't push it down. I threw it in the trash and went back to 2 cans.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

captain_crunch

Instead of any rope we always used a starter rope good way to carry spare
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Dom

I bought one a few years ago, but I can't remember where. Must've been CT or princess auto though.

Ryan D

Quote from: Atlantic Trader on February 05, 2013, 08:39:26 PM
Thanks guys that was easy, I havent seen these around in about 20 years, Iam not sure if anyone sells these in Canada.

Not sure why you don't see them around??? I notice them all the time in the hardware stores or at Canadian Tire. I just picked up 3 of them last week.

lumberjack48

Quote from: Decked on February 05, 2013, 11:03:24 PM
We always used rinsed-out laundry detergent jugs..nice pour spout, excess runs back into container. Orange ones for gas..blue for B/C oil.Tie handles together with a 2ft. piece of rope. Screw any 'regulations' on that particular item :snowball:
I tried the 2 in 1 container, didn't like it for some reason, went back to the Laundry jugs. I seen guys spray paint hi-lex jugs bright orange, to use for gas, its also easy to spot in the woods.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

ST Ranch

I use 2 used 1 gallon oil jugs -2 different colors to help remeber which is which -I hate the 2 in 1 jug cuz it was hard to pour in the oil without spilling.  Also use starter rope to tie them together. available at My Home hdwe and Canada Tire Tom
LT40G28 with mods,  Komatsu D37E crawler,
873 Bobcat with CWS log grapple,

lowpolyjoe

Interesting comments... i saw one of the combo cans in a youtube video a few months back for the first time.  I thought it looked like the best idea ever but then completely forgot about it so i never picked one up.   Not a ton of support for them in this thread i see.

Some of the new anti-spill spouts are a serious pain and i've already broken one and half broke another on some small cans.  But i recently got several 5gal containers during the extended blackout due to Hurricane Sandy and the anti-spill design on them was actually pretty good.  Unfortunately too big to fit in a chainsaw, but great for generators, lawnmowers and snowblowers.

CTL logger

Quote from: lowpolyjoe on February 06, 2013, 02:09:14 PM
Interesting comments... i saw one of the combo cans in a youtube video a few months back for the first time.  I thought it looked like the best idea ever but then completely forgot about it so i never picked one up.   Not a ton of support for them in this thread i see.

Some of the new anti-spill spouts are a serious pain and i've already broken one and half broke another on some small cans.  But i recently got several 5gal containers during the extended blackout due to Hurricane Sandy and the anti-spill design on them was actually pretty good.  Unfortunately too big to fit in a chainsaw, but great for generators, lawnmowers and snowblowers.
I love the no spill cans I have a 5 gallon for saw gas it's so easy to fill a saw it just sets on the starter cover and the spout goes right in the gas tank, push the button and fill it up. I been thinking about getting 2 of the smaller ones from Bailey's one clear for bar oil a red one for gas with a rope through the handles to keep them together. Not sure how oil would come out when it 0 out.

Ed_K

I use the 2an1 can with old style spout,cut the spout down to the cap there's thrds there and a 2cyc jug cap fit nice.red cap for gas side and black for oil side.the laundry jugs pour the best tho.
Ed K

wdncno

I think Home Hardware has them. Sceptor i believe.

John Mc

Quote from: Gary_C on February 05, 2013, 09:48:33 PM
don't worry, you'll know what has happened when the gas and oil runs down your pants leg and on to your boots.  ;D

Hey, I meant to do that.  It keeps my chaps and boots from rusting.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!