iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

unload log truck

Started by GeorgeK, February 05, 2013, 11:43:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeorgeK

What equipment, affordable and safely, are people using to unload a log truck? I have a place that wants me to mill about 4 truck loads of logs a month for them. So I am working on a place to do that instead of being full time mobile. The trial run we unloaded with an A300 Bobcat, this bobcat is not mine and would not be where I continue to work,  and some big forks it is just barely high enough and looks scary. Does anyone have some good ideas of what to use. I can't see spending a fortune for a loader to use 4 times a month. I have a smaller 753 bobcat and tractor I can move the logs around with once unloaded. My suggestion to them was to bring on a truck that could off load itself but they do not seem to like that idea.
George Kalbfleisch
Woodmizer LT40, twin blade edger, Bobcat A300, Kubota L48 and yes several logrites!

hillbillyhogs

When possible we have hired a dump truck minus the tailgate.

IF it must be log trailers, I've seen guys setup a "tripod" of sorts with a pully and a cable use tractor , etc. to pull cable to raise log then pull truck out from under it. Long, slow process but, it can be done.

Also, renting a telescopic forklift maybe an option if you could unload all four trucks on the same day each month??

beenthere

QuoteMy suggestion to them was to bring on a truck that could off load itself but they do not seem to like that idea.

Make that suggestion in the form of a "must have" instead, so they get their logs to you and they be "on the ground". And put some other terms in the contract about the shape the logs need to be (no extra limbs, clean, decked the way you want them, etc. ). 
Seems to be your call to make. Otherwise, next thing you find out is they want you to pick up their logs.  Then what?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Autocar

I would be very careful using a Bobcat to unload logs . If you get a load to high she will tilt over in the forward position. Your better off looking around for a tractor style fork lift they sell pretty cheap.
Bill

shinnlinger

No idea what one of these babes cost but perhaps a forklift mast with training wheels would work off the back of your tractor also....

http://www.agkrane.com/the-kranes/

But I wonder how excited is the truck driver going to be sitting around while you pull logs off 2-3 at a time?  I think getting the customer to figure how to get the logs on the ground (or bunks) is a good idea.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

JuniperBoss

You could always just buy a used wheel loader. Saw a big case wheel loader online for 11,000. You said you don't need it all the time, so if you get a used loader then that might do the job just fine. Might even find one for 6,000 or so from the right guy.
"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

wwsjr

It might be possible to find an older knuckleboom loader for a good price. I had the same problem needing to have ability to unload semi log trailers. I found an old Prentiss boom with Detroit engine for 5k . It is mounted on old truck which I never use. I spotted the loader where trucks can pull along side where I can unload and then move logs around with my FEL on tractor. I see a few loaders mounted on semi-trailers for sale in trade papers around my area. If you have suitable location, it could be spotted and unload as I do. It would be a single use tool, but might fit your needs at less cost.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

Bill_G

I sometimes use my excavator to load log trailers , it has a thumb . Might be your best bet is to find an old log truck that has a loader , they can be picked up fairly cheap .

Ohio_Bill

George, Glad to here you are getting some work. 4 loads a month, sounds like you will be busy.  To lift over most log truck bunks is quite high. IMO a knuckle boom loader would be a good choice however that is not route I took. I went the cheep and multitasking way. Would have rather had a wheel loader but went the rough terrain forklift route.

Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

GeorgeK

Thanks everyone for the replies. I thought the old loader route but was afraid of the repairs. We shall see if they come back. I told them It was there issue to get the logs on the ground. 
George Kalbfleisch
Woodmizer LT40, twin blade edger, Bobcat A300, Kubota L48 and yes several logrites!

sawguy21

I agree. There is also an issue of liability, if anything goes wrong you don't want it to be your problem. Buying a loader even used is going to wipe out any profit on the job and as you suggest it could be a money pit. If you do use a fork unit it should have a thumb.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

caveman

You may be able to build a ramp out of earth or earth and timber that would enable you to use your existing equipment to more safely unload the trucks.  This would reduce the height that you would have to lift the logs. If you continue to mill for this customer then you could patiently look for a good bargain on a more capable machine to use for unloading while getting by, in the meantime, with what you have.
Caveman
Caveman

JuniperBoss

Quote from: GeorgeK on February 05, 2013, 09:05:42 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies. I thought the old loader route but was afraid of the repairs. 

That is something to think about. However, I recall you saying that you only will use it occasionally. Four times I month. We have an old case wheel loader that works fine for occasional use. I might think about it, because I don't think you'll have many repairs using it on occasion. However I'm not a pro and don't have much experience with this so I'm just saying. All the ideas are good, especially I liked the "rough terrain" forklift.
"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

barbender

I'd look into the ramp idea if anything.
Too many irons in the fire

JuniperBoss

Yes I liked that idea too.

lumberjack48

Build an unloading dock, all the older mills had one. They used the same loader that they fed the mill with to unload trucks.

They build portable ones

Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

GeorgeK

George Kalbfleisch

rooster 58

Is there someone with a log truck nearby that could unload you? Also, think about the wheel loader. If you plan on doing this alot, the loader makes sense. I just picked one up for just over ten grand. It's older, but solid with a new paint job ;)

grassfed

I got an old truck with a prentice 110 loader several years ago and it has been the best investment that I have made for a piece of equipment. It does more work on my farm than I could have imagined: moves logs lumber hay changes tires (breaks bead) lifted my skidder set it on logs and pulled and replaced the rear end... Just saying that a knuckleboom on a truck is really handy to have around.   It all depends on how careful you are when you buy it and your mechanical aptitude. There are some good deals to be had in the 6-10k range.
Mike

giant splinter

I have a in the past been faced with a similar situations and found that the best way for me to solve the problem was to carefully way out all your options and then make a choice based on the facts.
In the situation you are in you could pencil in the cost of renting a 4000# off road long reach forklift,delivery and pickup,your operating expenses including labor and fuel etc. The rental is a half day minimum and unloading one log truck wont take all that long, total up your expenses and you will have a reasonable base price for this operation. Submit this cost to the person you are working with to see how it fits in with their idea of cost.
Then you have an idea of what direction to lean as far as finding a used piece of equipment or staying with the rental idea,in my situation it worked out that it was a short term project and I was able to get a local owner operator to coordinate with the logger and give me a set price per load for unloading the logs as was required.
There is always a way to get things to mesh and it sometimes works out very well for everyone,if you hold your rental equipment quote as a minimum standard you will always be covered to keep your job on target and not be concerned about your project getting derailed due to situations beyond your control.Lots of great ideas have been share here by the FF members and  i am confident you will choose the one that fits your project best.
roll with it

newstick

Maybe this was mentioned but why not have someone with loader on truck haul logs and unload them in your yard. (I didnt read all above)
Im am owner operator of Newberg Forest Products.We are a convental logging company with a Timbco feller buncher, two John Deere skidders , a strokeboom delimber, and a Serco log loader with circle slasher saw.
In the summer time my other company builds Handcrafted Log Homes. I love the woods!

Leigh Family Farm

I would go with the ramp but make the landing area extra wide, about twice that of a normal one. The I would have the truck pull alongside the ramps not the loading area. Drive your Fork lift up the ramp, turn 90 degrees, take log off truck, turn 180 degrees, dump log on ground. Repeat. You wouldn't need to get any new expensive equipment, just a ramp area that you can spin the fork lift 180 degrees. I don't know if this is actually feasible, just seemed like the simplest way to solve your problem

I also like the idea of buying an older model crane truck and just never driving the truck portion. I've seen some in trade publications for $10,000 or less. Good luck in what ever you decide!
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Thank You Sponsors!