iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another "Lumber" Species

Started by Magicman, February 04, 2013, 10:17:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I moved in on a fairly large framing lumber saw job this morning, and we knocked out a whack of 2X4's & 2X8's.  Just before quitting time, the customer walks over to his truck and brings back a "log".   :o  Since he was not planning on building a camp fire, I am figuring how to clamp that stick.

Yup,  Bois d'arc, Bodark, Bodock, Osage Orange, hedge apple, horse apple, Maclura pomifera.

Absolutely Beautiful.  I got prepared just in case that stick decided to ride in the operator's seat.   :o

And the framing lumber job is not bad either.   ;D

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

DanG wood gots some bright color....WOW!

Good job Magic, I wish we had that species around here.

By the way, the last man I looked at through a screen, I was confessing my sins.  :)

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

5quarter

Where's the pocket peavey when you need it?  ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Tree Feller

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on February 04, 2013, 10:25:51 PM
By the way, the last man I looked at through a screen, I was confessing my sins.  :)

DanG, I'll bet that took awhile!   ;D ;D ;D

MM you look pretty spiffy in that Husky hardhat and screen, satin jacket and white shirt...the gentleman sawyer's attire.   :)
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

The name  Bois d'arc is French meaning a wood used for archery bows.  Deviants of that French name include Bodark and Bodock.  OSAGE ORANGE  has its Latin name (Maclura pomifera)
 given in honor of William Maclura, an American 
geologist (1763 - 1840), and in recognition of the grapefruit-size (3" to 6" in diameter), inedible,
 spherical, bumpy pommes or apples it produces.

Before the development
of barbed wire, the tree was planted in the Great Plains and the East to develop a hedge row fence; stems 
and branches would grow as much as six feet in one year.  When planted close together and pruned, its 
branchy-ness and spiny thorns make a nearly impenetrable, natural hedge to any animal larger than a
rabbit.  During President Roosevelt's "Great Plains Shelterbelt" WPA project starting in 1934, over 200
 million trees were planted to control soil erosion.  A thornless variety is available today for horticultural 
plantings today.

The color is indeed beautiful when first cut, but the golden yellow will age to a russet brown color with high luster over time.  The root wood and bark, and to a lesser extent the
wood itself, have a great amount of yellow coloring that can be extracted in hot water and used as dye. 
Native Americans used this coloring.  In WW I, the dye was used for khaki coloring.  An extract from the
 pommes called elemol has been found to be as effective as DEET for repelling mosquitos.

This is probably the most naturally decay resistant species in North America.

The wood is 30% heavier than oak, so it is difficult to saw.

Early uses of the wood by the European settlers was for wheel rims and hubs.  It lasted a long time.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

r.man

And on a firewood btu chart that someone posted Osage Orange was the number one firewood for btus, much better than oak or maple.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Okrafarmer

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

highleadtimber16

Almost looks like Pacific Yew Wood. I love Yew it is dark orange with red streaks and is very rot resistant. It is also great for making bows. Anyways looking good!
2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

Magicman

Regrettably I do not have a lathe, but I would (wood) love to have a pen made from that wood.  It is stunning to say the least.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

What I have cut has been bad to have cracks and splits.  Are those lines in the board future splits?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

rooster 58

When I was young I remember there was a hedgeline of them along a road. They were bushy like trees that were perhaps 15-20' tall, if I remember right. We called the fruit "monkey balls". ;D

Radar67

MM, I'll turn you a pen from it. Next time I see you, you can get me a blank.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Cedarman

Doc, anyone you know use the extract from the hedge apples to keep mosquitoes away?    Sounds interesting.
My sawyer "stole" some Osage Orange that we had laying around to make turkey calls.  He convinced me that I would never do anything with it and being the nice guy that he was I should make it a perk of the job.  He made some nice calls.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

pineywoods

There's a bit of bodock in my area. I saw every scrap I can get, when I finish, there's nothing left but sawdust and bark. Most of it goes to duck and turkey calls, a few pens and bowls. Even the small pieces are made into felling wedges, better than plastic or metal.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

GDinMaine

If you don't mind sharing a secret?  How do you clamp that short little log on the mill to open the first face?  I'm new to these tricks and would love to learn that. 

I have a 3.5-4' piece of cherry that I had intended to have milled for years.  Now with my own mill I don't dare try as I'm afraid I hurt something or someone.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Just a note about firewood:  All hardwoods have the same BTUa per pound.  Softwoods sometimes have slightly more heat per pound when they are resinous.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

hackberry jake

Quote from: GeneWengert-WoodDoc on February 05, 2013, 02:36:23 PM
Just a note about firewood:  All hardwoods have the same BTUa per pound.  Softwoods sometimes have slightly more heat per pound when they are resinous.

"roughly" the same btu per pound. According to http://firewoodresource.com/firewood-btu-ratings/
It would take 156.2 pounds of shagbark hickory to make a million btu's.
It would only take 143.7 pounds of bodark for the same amount of heat.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

beenthere

Same per pound if at the same moisture content, I believe.

Not comparing by volume, as in a cord.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

lowpolyjoe

Striking wood MagicMan.  Great backstory Gene.

Delawhere Jack

That's the first type of wood I ever milled on my LT40. Marty Parsons pulled it from his log pile to use while training me. The color is amazing.

SwampDonkey

Nice lumber. ;D
No doubt osage is very rot resistant. But I would doubt if it's more so than some of the cedars or Pacific yew. I have seen half carved out western red cedars left behind or abandoned by natives in the 19th C. Still in tact. The government has a term for these culturally significant trees. They call them "culturally modified trees" or CMT's. ;D
Also, yellow cypress, as long as it's in tact when it falls will last and last just laying on the wet ground in the mountains.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Danny, yes, the dark streaks are cracks, but the wood between the cracks seems very solid.

Thanks Terry, I will get with you about a pen.

GDinMaine, there was no clamping secret.  That "log" was 31" long.  I raised one manual side support and somehow the log clamp was able to tighten down on it.  I made  a couple of passes before flipping it over and continuing the saw through.  The clamping was the reason that I had the helmet on, and I also made my customers stand away just in cast that thing got loose.  I was not comfortable.

Don K

Here is a pen and pencil set I made for a fella that used to post on here by the name of IL BULL. Haven't heard from him in a long time. He sent me some Osage and it had this burl wood in it.

I just looked at the pen blanks he sent me the other day. Still a vivid yellow, been in a box. My wife said it was the ugliest wood she has ever seen. :D

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

hackberry jake

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!