iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sycamore Finishing

Started by Qweaver, February 04, 2013, 01:06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

I've used a lot of sycamore for framing and siding for my sheds with good results.  But I am running low on dry oak so I made a computer table for the Mancave yesterday from planed sycamore.  I stained it with Oak stain (it was all I had) one coat of shellac and two coats of lacquer and it is absolutely beautiful.  These were not fully quarter sawn but I have a lot of QS that I will try next.  The boards always look pretty as they come off of the saw but I had just never gone thru the whole finishing process with it before.  I will now.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Brux

Quatersawn sycamore good looking stuff and is good to work with.
Woodbine pro processer,2006 woodmizer lt-40, Asv 4520,John Deere 450 c, Oliver 1755,Kabota 6800, walhesten FX90, Stihl 660 056 044 036pro 310 200t 180 Husky 395

Tree Feller

I'm almost ashamed to admit that I have never worked with Sycamore. Does it take stain well or is it prone to blotching like Cherry?
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Qweaver

It took the stain great but it did not really look good until I got the lacquer on. I'll see if I can get a good picture.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I built a bench using Sycamore once. I stained it in a Golden Oak. I put 8 coats of Marine Poly on it and sanded in between coats. The wood actually took the stain and Poly VERY well. But note, this slab was completely dry.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Qweaver

wow! That bench really looks good.  I've been making some Oak and Sycamore benchs lately but just out of rough sawn.  I'm going to do one like your's.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Qweaver on February 04, 2013, 04:46:08 PM
wow! That bench really looks good.  I've been making some Oak and Sycamore benchs lately but just out of rough sawn.  I'm going to do one like your's.

I have a Patent on Sycamore Benches. Patent #U.S.6758923. I'm the only one that can legally make them.  :D :D :D :D

I'M JUST PLAYING with you.  ;D

Qweaver....if ya can, show us some pics of your benches or any other woodworking projects over in General Woodworking. We'd love to see your work. You may give us some new ideas.  smiley_thumbsup

WDH

David,

That thing is still looking at me  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on February 04, 2013, 10:00:19 PM
David,

That thing is still looking at me  :).

smiley_curtain_peek

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on February 04, 2013, 05:26:36 PM
Quote from: Qweaver on February 04, 2013, 04:46:08 PM

I have a Patent on Sycamore Benches. Patent #U.S.6758923. I'm the only one that can legally make them.  :D :D :D :D

What are you a spider?  http://www.google.com/patents/US6758923   An apparatus and method for applying adhesive in a web converting machine is disclosed.

very nice bench by the way
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!