iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Picked up Grizzly planer

Started by Cypressstump, February 04, 2013, 08:48:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cypressstump

After the last couple of 'deals' fell thru, this one almost did as well......... smiley_furious3

A while back I had made a verbal agreement to purchase a nice slightly used Woodmaster 18" planer, the next day I call the guy to get final directions ( 75 miles away), he says he was offered 20 bucks more and sold the thing.

Next chance was on a Powermatic 20", more money than I wanted to spend, but offered the man his asking price, only for him to say he probably should be asking more money. ? ? I passed .

I found a Grizzly 15", older unit, well taken care of for 400 bucks. the guy had a old Rockwell 6" jointer as well as other equipment for sale. I talked to him, made a deal on the planer and jointer on Wednesday and was to pick up the items Friday morning. My cell phone crupped out on me during the day Thursday, got a replacement cell phone Thursday evening. First call I made was to the guy since his number was in the phone and I could not retrieve number until the phone was operable again.

The guy says, he sold the jointer because he could not contact me via phone.....and a man is coming over for the planer that evening........ What ? ? ?  He ended up selling me the planer, and a 10" double compound mitre saw. The planer came with 10 sets of blades, all in slight need to sharpening.

I think every piece of cutting type equipment that I own has drawn blood from me, this planer being no different. My curiosity got the best of me and I had to learn how to change the blades,,, made the mistake of running my thumb over an area of the blades that were leaving a faint mark on boards I had run thru the planer .No stiches, just a 'love' bite... :) My typing thumb iz now sore.
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

Tree Feller

Congratulations on finally scoring a planer.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

hackberry jake

I have a woodmaster 718 and the planet head had the log cabin siding knives in it. I was going to change it around to a drum sander. The planer head weighs quite a bit and it slightly slipped in my hand. Like you no stitches but it was enough I had to break out the super glue. Lesson learned.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Cypressstump

I'm having trouble finding someone local to sharpen my planer blades. Guess I'll hafta' do them myself.
I have jig made that should do the trick, only now need to find a good source for various grit sandpaper in rolls or longer than normal sheet lengths.

Anybody know of a supplier of said sandpaper rolls?

thanks, stump
Stump

Case 586E 6k forklift
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Cypressstump

Stump

Case 586E 6k forklift

clww

Congratulations on your purchase. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Thank You Sponsors!