iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chestnut oak coffee table

Started by Dan_Shade, February 03, 2013, 10:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

My latest project.  Chestnut oak that blew down in hurricane Isabel back in '03.

The shelf is a floating panel.

the finish is three coats of hand rubbed "homemade finish"  1/3 spar varnish, 1/3 Boiled Linseed Oil, and 1/3 mineral spirits
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Dan_Shade

i think I completed this project in less than a month all said!

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

pigman

Nice simple but elequent design. I like it.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Dan_Shade

Slab Slicer

Nice work Dan. I have some Red Oak waiting for a similar project. Since I finished my basement out, I lost my woodshop for now. I have a building planned for this spring, and should have the new shop up and running. I hate being without my shop.

One question Dan... The surface you have the table displayed on in the first pick.....is that a table saw extension? Any info on building one like it? Thanks Dan, and again, that's some nice work.

Chuck
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

Dan_Shade

in the first picture, the table is sitting on a table saw outfeed table in a preglue mockup.  The outfeed table is based on a design shown in a "tools and shops" fine woodworking magazine a few years ago.  it has a shelf for a crosscut sled, and drawers on both sides.

If I were to build another outfeed table, I would make it like a work bench, with heavy duty legs, and a heavy top with vises on it.

an outfeed table makes a tablesaw a dream to use.

Slab Slicer

Thanks DAn. I was using some outfeed rollers, but this looks like a much better set up. I'll keep an eye out for plans, or possibly just come up with my own. I'd imagine that feeding a sheet of 3/4" plywood has got to be much easier with your outfeed.  :)
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

Dan_Shade

It makes anything of length easier. 

My recommendation ifs to builds one that issturdy enough to use a mortise chisel, and a vise that makes dovetails easy.... 

Like I said, if I ever build another one, it will be like this

Norm

Looks great Dan!

I agree with Bob's opinion.  :)

Tree Feller

Very nice table, Dan. I like the tapered legs and that frame & panel shelf.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

WDH

Crisp, clean design.  Elegant.  You did a great job!  I like the long over-hang on the ends.  Next one that I make, I will do it like that.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

That's my kind of table, looks great Dan.  Nice shelf in under to stash stuff. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

lowpolyjoe

Very nice!   

Pardon my ignorance - when you say floating, is that completely unconnected?  Or did you use something movement-tolerant?

I saw a build recently with screws going through a slotted piece of hardware to allow motion under seasonal change.  Can't remember if it was this forum or not  :-\  I'm not experienced working with hardwood but would like to learn what i can about it before giving it a shot.

Jemclimber

Very nice, I use that same homemade finish on many things.
lt15

Dan_Shade

The panel for the shelf floats in a frame.  The frame is attached to the legs.  I used this method to accommodate for wood movement

lowpolyjoe

Quote from: Dan_Shade on February 04, 2013, 12:15:53 PM
The panel for the shelf floats in a frame.  The frame is attached to the legs.  I used this method to accommodate for wood movement

i think i understand, thanks

Lud

Nice looking table!  I can't quite see the corners clearly.  did you soften them at all?   I usually round them a bit as the wife's always bumpin' into stuff and bruises easily. ;D ;D
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

SwampDonkey

I've done the shelves similarly on a couple tables as well. Works! ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dan_Shade

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I gotta hand it to ya Dan.....your DanG table is Gorgeous !

Do you sell your work or is this piece gonna stay "in house"?
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Dan_Shade

i've never sold any work, but I'd like to start.  Not quite sure how to jump into the "industry".  in the meantime, i'm slowly furnishing my house.  :)

lowpolyjoe

How much time did you put into that piece?   

SwampDonkey

Same here, I've been building up my own personal furniture inventory. And basically taking out of here all the junk, someone else bought. :D

Dan_Shade

I probably have 15-20 hours in it

Bill Gaiche

Very nice. Coffee tables are fun to build. bg

Thank You Sponsors!