iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

router for wireless internet???

Started by thecfarm, February 03, 2013, 09:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

We are looking into getting the wireless Internet from Dish Network,I think they brought out Hugh network. No cable here.This will all be installed by Dish,but we need a wireless router. Wife says they are priced from $10 to $100. Wife has a tablet and a laptop. She does alot more than I do. I'm on an old desk top and have just dial up. We will be getting 10 GB. She will probably use that up each month. We will have a free time,from midnight to 5am,when we are sound asleep.  ::)
What do you guys all have for a router?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

When I'm in the field where I don't have cable, I have a Verizon Router I can take with me.

My IPhone can also be used as a wireless router and my computer can receive data through it.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Ianab

What you probably need is a Wireless Access Point.
This connects to the Router that Dish provides, and lets you connect the wireless (and additional wired) devices.

Something like this.
http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DAP-1522-Extreme-Dual-Band-Wireless-N/dp/B001769K3O

It has 4 Ethernet ports. One connects to whatever router you have (cable, ADSL, Satellite etc), provides the wireless signal for the Tablets, smart phones, laptops etc, and the other 3 ports are available for wired machines like your desktop.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Mooseherder

Their system should come with whatever you need.
Are you sure you'll need anything else?

thecfarm

The wife has been on the phone with DISH. I would say 2 hours combined the last 3 days. What Ianab posted we need. I did forget to mention we went to walmart and was looking and my wife asked the guy there. She told him we was looking at a satellite Internet and he pointed us to the just about the same thing. than the wife kept asking questions and than she said the dish network thing and he claimed he just got rid of Blue and got the same thing we are thinking about getting. He said as Ianab said,I could hook my dinosaur to it to by a phone cable or a cable.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

isawlogs

Ray , I just got a router for my satelite connection here.  We have xplornet, as our satelite server.  I bought a D-Link router and had to call them to help with the set up. Wife has a laptop and I have my newish dinosaure.  ;D
  The satelite modem connects to the router that connects to my dino.  Works fine here and cost under 50$

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Piston

We have a Cisco.  I have had numerous problems with it.  Actually the first one I had was defective, had to spend 3 hrs on the phone with them one night to get it working, then 2 hours the next, then they finally told me it was defective and to return it where I bought it, and buy one through them (I bought through amazon.)

I returned it, and then set up the new one, it worked for 2 months until we lost power, then I couldn't connect to the internet.  Back on the phone with Cisco support and had issues 3 nights in a row, 2.5hrs on the phone with them one night.  They're service has not been very helpful.  The issue I have now is only when I lose power, I guess my router doesn't "remember" my IP address and won't let me connect after a power outage like my old one did.  I have to manually go into the router through a laptop and reconfigure the settings, every time. 

I finally gave up on their support, I'll either buy some sort of UPS backup so I never lose power, or next time it happens I'll throw it out and buy a new brand.  I'm P.O.'d about it too, cause it was 160 or 180 dollar router, I bought it cause it was supposed to be one of the best. 
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Ianab

Piston, just check that there isn't a setting in the "system" area to actually save the config in the router, or at least save the config to a file on your own PC. 

Back in the dark times when routers where a new thing you had to go through all the programming steps, get the router working properly, and then do a "save and reboot" to set them permanently. If you didn't, it would work fine until the power went off, and then it would reset to the last saved config.

If it's not that, then it's faulty, but at least saving the config to your PC will let you reset it much easier. But they have gotten so cheap now that we usually just swap them out if they give any issue. The router is worth less than a 2nd service call.

They also take a hammering from thunderstorms and power glitches, so failures aren't that rare.....

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Piston

-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

dolittle

I had Hughes Net a couple of years ago and was on their old satellite that was high in the sky and slow.  With the high sat the dish was pointed up and filled with snow every wet snow storm, then I lost the connection.  I think they are faster now but I was disappointed with them.  Do you have cell phone coverage?  I went with Verizon wireless.  They were faster with 5 times the data for less money.

I went through several routers that didn't work and ended up with a Cradlepoint MBR95 from Amazon.  Around $100.

thecfarm

Yes,we have cell phone coverage. We, are I should say she, has US Cellular,with only 5 gb,with just the tablet. She has to tether to the labtop. That chews up the gb FAST. :o She is looking at the DISH for 10 gb and $50 per month,same price. She was paying that much just for 5gb.Supposely she can use the laptop without it using a stupid amount of gb. That is really the big thing. She wants to be able to use the laptop.

muddstopper

I to have Verizon internet. With the supplied cable you can hook it directly to your computer thru the usb port and use in on nonwireless computers, which is what i did at first. it also comes with an ac adapter to connect to the house power supply and will work as a wireless wifi. It wont work as wireless wifi if it is plugged to the computer via the usb port. It also has a built in battery for when the power goes out, but I also have a gogreen battery power supply that I can plug it into if I want to be truely portable and can run a laptop out in the woods all day if I want to. We hardly use the old desktop anymore since we got a new laptop for Christmas, so we just leave the verizon wireless card plugged up to the ac power supply. We can had as many as 5 computers connected to the internet at one time when the kids and grandkids are around for the holidays, it will slow down quite a bit with that many connections, but it will still work.

Al_Smith

I don't know much about DSL but for our LAN in the house we have an older Linksys router.  It has 4 cable outlets plus the wireless.  It seems to work okay but it took me a month of Sundays to figure out how to get a Kindle Fire to work on the danged thing . I still haven't figured out how that little annoying thing works yet either.

Techno weinie I'm not .Robotics and CNC machinery ,no problem ,home 'puters out in left field with a short attention span.

Thank You Sponsors!