iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chain drive gauge

Started by bandmiller2, February 03, 2013, 08:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

Any great harm in using A .050 chain on a .058 bar.I realize the cuts won't be as accurate, all 3/8 chain.90% of my sawing is firewood 10% cutting nubs off sawlogs fine cuts are not manditory. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

sawguy21

You will have a tough time making a straight cut and you will accelerate chain and bar wear.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

ladylake

I'd sure give it a try, seems to me like the bar groove can be wore quite a bit and still cut straight. Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Al_Smith

It will walk around probabley a little more than would be comfortable .What might happen over an extended period is the walking around could wear the bar rail  to one side then it would have a tendency to cut in a circle .

What 30-40 .050 thou chains and  no bars ?

ladylake

I think the chain links on the bar rail keep the chain straight rather than the drivers in the groove, once I got a chain off Ebay that cut crooked, I trued up the bar and it still cut crooked.   Turned out the bottom of the links on the chain were wore more on one side than the other, no cure for that chain had to throw it in the garbage.  It must have taken a lot of abuse with a dull chain or not enough oil to do that.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Al_Smith

True perhaps buuuuut if it gets to walking around which would cant it off to one side it will effectively widen the bottom of the bar groove a tad and wear one dide of the drivers off which would cant it even more .At the same time though if you stop and think about wearing the drivers off to a sharp point will eat up the drive rims given enough time .

Make no mistake in time it will wear the bar out .Maybe a good thing ,throw it away or make a hunting knife out of it and get a 50 thou bar .

HolmenTree

You will get by with a new .050 chain in a new .058 bar, but when the cutters are filed small under half you're gonna have problems with the "on and off again cutting". Especially when the saw is on its side felling a tree.
The b/c are gonna wear out in the drive links and rails really quick too.
Waste of money and effort.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

bandmiller2

Just curious,I've got boath Stihl and husky and alot of used but good bars and chains.I keep saying I going over to all .050 but then Baileys has one of those super deals and I get anouther .058 bar.I've got alot of 16" chains, will probibly make two 20's from three 16's. Frank C.

Bill_G

Best just to keep everything matched .

HolmenTree

Quote from: bandmiller2 on February 05, 2013, 08:36:33 PM
Just curious,I've got boath Stihl and husky and alot of used but good bars and chains.I keep saying I going over to all .050 but then Baileys has one of those super deals and I get anouther .058 bar.I've got alot of 16" chains, will probibly make two 20's from three 16's. Frank C.
I'm in the same boat as you. I own both Husqvarna in .058 and Stihl saws in .050
I just bought a few 100 ft rolls of Oregon 72LGX .050 from Baileys at a good sale price of $275 each. I just use bar adapter clips to run my .050 Stihl bars on my Huskies.

Al_Smith

Bars are kind of like saws in away because you can amass a bunch of them over the years .I suppose if I counted them up I've got over 40 spares not to mention the 40-45 that are on saws already .Strange ,I have very few .058 bars .They were just not a popular gauge in these parts .

A note on Stihl mount bars .With some sort of an adapter you can use this mount size on just about any saw ever made .Fact I run a 36" Stihl mount in .404 on an old classic Homelite 2100 S .Same driver count as an 066 which is really amazing it worked out that way .

Cedar Savage

I've run 58 gauge chain in a old worn 50 gauge bar to tighten things up, squeeze the last bit of life out of the bar.
"They fried the fish with bacon and were astonished, for no fish had ever seemed so delicious before."         Mark Twain

bandmiller2

Along the same vein how many of you have and use that roller tool to close the bar grooves slightly.Is it worthwile or an overpriced gadget.?? Frank C.

cuterz

HolmenTree

Quote from: bandmiller2 on February 08, 2013, 08:03:59 AM
Along the same vein how many of you have and use that roller tool to close the bar grooves slightly.Is it worthwile or an overpriced gadget.?? Frank C.
For $26 at Baileys you're not out alot of money, I hear they work ok. If your bars are laminated forget it, once laminated are spread their basically throw away, unless you can figure out how to reheat the bars rails to relieve the temper, tighten up rails and retemper.
My solid body bars I tighten up the rails with a 2lb brass hammer and shim strip. A little hard on the bar paint but is functional.

Some of you on here might remember the tool Oregon sold years ago. It was a V shaped steel tool with a replaceable shim in the middle of the V. The V and shim would rest on and inside the bar rails, you then hammer the top of the tool as the tool is moved down the bar rails. This was one of the best tools I used for tightening bar rails. But from years of use it finally broke and no longer could get another.
If anyone knows where to find these or willing to sell one, I'll pay good money for it.

Al_Smith

I've never seen one but imagine it's just a piece of shim stock that's a tad over the bar slot width . Like 52 thou ,60 thou ,65 thou ,depending .It wouldn't be that hard to make .

Fact I've got a spreader some place I made to open up pinched slots if I could only remember what I did with it .

Thank You Sponsors!