Hookaroon Question

Started by John Mc, February 03, 2013, 02:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

I have one of your 30" Hookaroons.  It's a great tool, and very solidly built.  My only complaint is that the handle is a bit on the large side for me to comfortably grip securely.

At the recent Farm Show in Burlington, VT, I saw a dealer with one of your hookaroons with a smaller diameter handle.  Has this been redesigned in the last few years?  The hookaroon he had was a better fit for me.

John
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

pep

John

Just give Tammy a call and will gladly make you a smaller handled one.  They made me one last year. It's  a lot better with a smaller handle

Cheers

Pep
Lucas 827 w/slabbing bar
JD 410B
Wood Wiz Surfacing Attachment

giant splinter

Last time I went to Wood-Mizer in Oregon I was told that the Orange Hookaroon was no longer available at the Oregon branch, I see Stihl has an orange called a hookaroon just wondering if Logrite can still make me one as I have an orange cant hook and peavy. Just in case I picked up a can of W-M touch up spray paint. I have bear claws for hands so the big one might be best for me. ;D
roll with it

Tam-i-am

Yes, a few years ago we redesigned the hookaroon.
The diameter used to be 1 3/8" now it is 1 1/8". 

As for WoodMizer, they have never carried the hookaroons.
Yes, we make the one for Stihl.

Hookaroons are were extremely popular last year.  In the past we sold one or two here or there.  Last year we more than doubled our sales of hookaroons.  By far the 30" is the most popular. Which is something I can't figure out because if I were going to be moving small wood around on the ground 30" would mean I would have to bend over while 36"  would eliminate the bending.  We custom make longer ones for Armstrong, Georgia Pacific, Clendenin Lumber and Stratton Lumber.  The length of these custom hookaroons we make for these companies also puzzles me because they are so long they seem unwieldy to me.  At 96" Dee finds it hard to line them up to get them in the box.  ;D
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

John Mc

Now I've just got to find someone to buy my 1 3/8" x 30" hookaroon, so I can justify getting myself a 1 1/8" one...
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

thecfarm

Was surprized to see Stratton Lumber. My Mother was born where thier office use to be.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Tam-i-am

Yep send 96" long hookaroons to Maine.
Maybe you could go and see how they are using them and report back. ;D
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

RynSmith

Quote from: John Mc on February 04, 2013, 09:13:17 AM
Now I've just got to find someone to buy my 1 3/8" x 30" hookaroon, so I can justify getting myself a 1 1/8" one...

Quote from: giant splinter on February 03, 2013, 05:49:15 PM
I have bear claws for hands so the big one might be best for me. ;D

Match made in heaven?   :-*   ;D

Cedar Savage

Quote from: Tamiam on February 04, 2013, 11:54:28 AM
Yep send 96" long hookaroons to Maine.
Maybe you could go and see how they are using them and report back. ;D

I'd imagine they use them for moving lumber, on a live deck or something like that.
Myself I use a pickaroon or axaroon.... the tip has a L shaped point that grabs into the wood the harder you pull it. I can pick up a large piece of firewood with it & the axe on the back is nice for trimming small branches.
"They fried the fish with bacon and were astonished, for no fish had ever seemed so delicious before."         Mark Twain

giant splinter

RynSmith
I think I need a 36" hookaroon , perhaps even a 48" as I will be dragging slabs off the mill with it as well as using it while splitting firewood.
I guess my research is just getting underway so I am wondering what everyone else is using for both situations, the mill & splitting.
Might be good for picking up all the beer cans that start showing around my front porch after the snow starts melting :)
roll with it

Okrafarmer

When I worked at Hancock Lumber in Pittsfield, ME in 2000, we used wooden handled pickaroons around 4-5' long, I think, with aluminum heads on them. That was with white pine on the infeed for the planer. I think they were aluminum so they wouldn't sink in as deep, and maybe to make them easier to wield over the green chain (dried chain?  ??? ) while reaching way over and knocking boards into place. I got to do it some, but not often. Usually I was stuck on more exhausting tasks.  :-\

Fact is, I can't remember exactly how long they were, but I know they were at least 4' long and maybe quite a bit longer, like 6'.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

RynSmith

Sorry giant splitter, I thought you were referring to the circumference...

giant splinter

RynSmith
Thank you for your input and it was helpful ( no need for an apology at all) I was and still am trying to determine witch one would be the best for my application, I was talking about and did in fact refer to the diameter and your post was important. Your comment was positive and absolutely well done, I did think about what you suggested. I suspect however that some of the longer Hookaroons may work out better around the sawmill for pulling off slabs and other things including firewood and other random debris aroung the mill.
At this point I thing that more people will add to John's post and shed more light on the subject of thickness (dia.) and length so that more of us will be better informed.
roll with it

r.man

Making a tool out of aluminum is desirable if it might accidentally go through a cutting machine. I know of a 125 hp chipper that tried to eat a steel digging bar that was being used to unplug the intake.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Okrafarmer

That could be the real reason. The next machine in line after the spot where the hookaroons were used was the planer. A very high capacity planer, I might add. And probably the # 1 bottleneck for the whole "dry side" of the plant.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.