iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pykrete

Started by Barney II, February 01, 2013, 06:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney II

have been watching too much boop tube----but a good question---what is pykrete?   According to the  experts they built an aircraft carrier with it.
Ya never know
Woodmizer  1985 lt30

tyb525

Sawdust and ice. Molded kind of like concrete.

No aircraft carrier was ever build from it, but someone did build a ship out of pure ice.

Mythbusters build a boat out of "super pykrete" using newspaper instead of sawdust, and it worked, but only for about 20 minutes then it started springing leaks as it melted.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

DeepWoods

18 percent sawdust by weight added to water then frozen.  They wanted to build an aircraft carrier, but ended up not nessasary as England's Air Force was able to destroy the German submarines.  Just watched Modern Marvels ice episode.  Turns out that they couldn't break the pykrete with a hammer, and a block of ice the same size would basically explode with one blow.  They did make a scale model of the air craft carrier, it took two years to melt and sink.  The wooden frame is still at the bottom of the lake they tested it on.  Hope I remembered all of this correctly, I am just a little cabin crazy as our winter temps have been quite low and we have been shacked up for the last few weeks.  Last night we had -35 for an overnight low.  Hard to get anything done with temps like that.  Daytime temps not even above zero. 

Tyb525 ya beat me to it, my fingers don't type to fast in this cold
Norwood LM2000 with 23 HP Briggs and 21 foot track, Hand Built Logging Arch, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and Setter. 48" Xtreme Duty Logrite Cant Hook.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Onthesauk

DeepWoods,

Grew up in Kalispell and can remember 40 below.  Way too cold for me anymore.  :)
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Thank You Sponsors!