iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

the Lost Pines of Bastrop and the 2011 Fires - set the pitch?

Started by cherrick, February 01, 2013, 12:52:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cherrick

Folks,
Here is some background information on the terrible fires that burned stands of Lost Pines Loblolly trees in Bastrop, TX 30 miles east of Austin:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bastrop_County_Complex_fire

In memory of the fires, we have found a lumber mill with some of the salvaged trees and we've had these milled to blank (boards) to build electric guitars (8/4 X 14" X 8' or so). We've trimmed and painted the board ends with oil-based paint and we're about to go to a kiln for drying.

Do you think the temperatures in the fires might have "set the pitch"? The fires got so hot that many of the trees exploded and metal structures melted.

I've not found a kiln in the Austin area with temps high enough to "set the pitch" on pine (about 180 I believe), as most top out at about 140. With a reasonable drying schedule/plan I know we can get the moisture content down to build-worthy levels.

Given the fires and the temperatures we would be happy if the fires "set the pitch" for us?

thoughts?

Jay C. White Cloud

Hi Cherrick,

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, I believe it may, but someone here will tell you were a kiln is that will, I'm sure.  I have several friends that have "dabbled" in Luthier work, and they have use an oven to dry wood that is closer to the finish size in the instrument, would that help?

Regards,  jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Jeff

I have big doubts that pitch could be set within a tree, even in a fire. In fact I think it most improbable.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

cherrick

Thanks Jay,
My understanding is that the luthiers building these guitars will be interested in (a) the moisture content and (b) the resistance to run/flow of the sap.

We have a good handle on a: the moisture content. There are several kilns in the Austin/Bastrop area and some very knowledgeable operators.

Regarding b: some of these have said they're worried about bringing pine to a high enough temperature to "set the pitch" (cracking was a concern).

If anyone knows of a central Texas kiln that has experience with setting the pitch on a pine board, we would love an introduction.

We were fortunate to get the last of these salvaged trees. We have about 14 blanks and we'd like to see each end up in some very cool guitars, so we're trying to be careful and thorough.

again, thanks.

Jeff

cherrick, has a luthier inspect the harvested wood yet? It usually takes a pretty specific quality of wood to use. (lots of growth rings per inch). oops, read back that they are electric. I guess not a hollow body.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

cherrick

Jeff,
The finish luthiers have seen pictures. We've been through the build process in detail and obviously we've inspected the boards. And as you say, these will almost certainly be solid-body electric guitars (think "Fender Telecaster" and "Fender Stratocaster").

I do have some pics.

cherrick

beenthere

Agree with Jeff, that the fires may have been hot but the wood within the tree didn't get up to "pitch-setting" temps in the short time the fire was surrounding the trees. Wood is a reasonably good insulator and even better if the trees are on the dry side of average.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

drobertson

I am no where near even close to being the person to comment, but feel the need to add,  My understanding in drying is a required temp coupled with an air flow through a period of time, until the requirements are met.  In any case a great save of what surely would've been lost.  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Tree Feller

I think 160* to 180* is the suggested temperature for setting the pitch in Pine. I doubt if the trees got anywhere near that temp throughout during the burn.

However, I also understand that during drying, the pitch will be "set" at the highest temperature the wood sees. As long as the wood doesn't reach that temperature again, the pitch will not become fluid.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

cherrick

Does anyone know of a kiln in central Texas that can hit 150 (set the pitch)?

Tree Feller

This guy   http://billstuewe.wix.com/billswoodshop#!contact-us   is in Georgetown and has a Nyle kiln.

I think just about any commercially built kiln should be able to heat the wood to 150 degrees.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Thank You Sponsors!