iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stressed poplar

Started by Slab Slicer, January 30, 2013, 08:47:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slab Slicer

It was definitely a good feeling to be turning out some quality for the customer, and that he appreciated my extra effort to get the job done right. Now all I need is some good weather, and a bit more time, and this job will be in the books. Not much time to do any onsite milling after work in the winter. Not enough daylight left, so it's weekends for now until the daylight hours get later. Should be milling almost every day then.  :)
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

5quarter

I'm so glad to hear that the job is running better for you! Going the extra mile to produce quality products is what separates the men from the boys. And happy customers will always tell their friends.  ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Slab Slicer

Looks like the push for quality has paid off. Another neighbor stopped in, and has some nice red oak he wants milled into 1x boards for flooring. Random width is what he wants, and has someone to finish them into flooring. The trees are down, and bucked to length. He just wants to wait for warmer weather to start the job. I hope the work continues coming in  :) :)
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

fishpimp

Think I may need ur  stress relieving tips..... Hahahahaah

Slab Slicer

Boy do those look familiar.  :o It looks like your cutting 2x4's, and having the same luck I did with the beams I was cutting. What size are the logs you're milling? Seems that small poplar will be stressed, and isn't much good for anything but large beams from the center, with 1x boards from the edge wood, or all 1x boards. Not sure if you'll have much luck getting those 2x4's to mill straight.

I have 3 or 4 large poplar butt logs, about 24" dia. I'm anxious to see how they mill up.  ???
Chuck

beenthere

Finding any difference in stress between the upper logs in a ypoplar compared to the lower and butt logs?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Slab Slicer

Not much difference in what I've been sawing. The largest butts so far are about 18", maybe 20" dia. Any large slice to the edge wood, and the stress shows it's ugly face. I have to take a little off each side, and try to yeild as many 1x boards as I can, then do the final cuts for the beams. Any thick slice off one side, and things start curling like Shirley Temples hair.  :D
Chuck

Mountain State Farm

I had a good poplar day yesterday, cut 86 2"x6"x12' out of four logs, only one blade and 10 or so that had any bow, (lotsa flipping  smiley_flipping). I stacked all of them on edge and loaded 30 cinderblocks on top.  Should hold em down.

@Fishpimp, have a few extra blocks to hold those rocking chairs down. 
That sawdust bug bit me in the ...

Slab Slicer

I'm wondering if...Stacked, stickered, and weighted properly, will poplar relax once dry, and be straight, or will they just speing back after they are pulled out of the stack.  ??? ???
Chuck

fishpimp

Started big job today. Large prime poplar logs.
These trees have so much stress in them. It's frustrating. Customer wanting 2x material. All material is 14' , 16' 19.5'

I've flipped . I've turned ...split the pith... Dodged

the pith.
These biggins are makin my blood pressure spike!
Anyone got any input.
Looks like I'm gonna have to take the glock 45 tomoro!

Slab Slicer

I'm looking for an answer on this one. Since what I was cutting was larger beams, I could center the pith in them, and make a straight beam. Not sure about this situation. It was mentioned earlier in this thread about cutting everything ovesized, and resawing after the pieces have dried.
Chuck

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

I had a graduate student that looked at these growth stresses in drying using different kiln schedules including over 212 F.  The drying basically had no major effect on warp or straightening.

The study also looked a sawing 8/4 flitches, unedged and drying them and then ripping dimension, mostly 2x6.  The idea of this came from Bob Maeglin at the US Forest Products Lab.  It was called SDR...saw, dry, rip.  it worked well and is easy to do.  He used it for softwoods and hardwoods.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Banjo picker

Must be something in the water with all these people wanting structural popular...I just cut 80   22 ft .  2x6's ....and now have to cut 80  18' 2x10's ...I dread it...the 2x6's were bad enough...The logs looked fairly decent...Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

losttheplot

You could try cutting the cant with the pith in the center ?
DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK !

Magicman

You do have to keep turning the cant as you remove boards, often after each board.  I would never split the pith as shown in the last picture.  That is a sure recipe for crook, but you found that out already.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Slab Slicer

I agree with MM. If you take too many boards from one side, what is left of the log will lift right off the mill. Saw, Turn, saw, turn, saw, turn.....was the order of the day.
Chuck

5quarter

Gene...that's exactly how I cut alot of my 2x material. first, it is nice to be able to cut the widths I need when I need it, but it also gives me the opportunity to resaw after it is dry. This method almost always gives me nice straight lumber.
   Just to be clear, when you're rotating the cant to relieve stress, always flip 180° from the previous cut and try never to take more from one side than the other. also, if you want to turn your cant 90° and begin taking boards, I usually make a skim cut, flip 180°, take another skim cut and then start taking boards, alternating 180° after each cut. alot of turning, but each board will have well balanced grain and be as straight and the log can give. The bad news is that once you've done all of that, then you'll be full of stress... >:(
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

In most other countries when dealing with growth stresses, they use two saws in one headrig...often a twin band or a Skragg...to make sure they cut equally off of both sides.  Due to the low level of growth stresses in most NA species, we seldom do that, except in some softwood mills, especially syp.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

customsawyer

Splitting the pith like you did in the pics will cause lots of stress.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Okrafarmer

Quote from: customsawyer on February 26, 2013, 10:03:27 AM
Splitting the pith like you did in the pics will cause lots of stress.

I'm also a member of the APSL. Having tried pith-splitting out of curiosity, I now don't recommend it for anything except making rocking chair rockers.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

fishpimp

Ok so do what with the pith. Saw around . Firewood, toothpicks, stack sticks?
Lumber is 19.5' long.  Diameter of trees averaging 30" . Pith is 10 to 12" diamter.
Pith smith. Poplar is for 1x stuff. No more framing on this job.

beenthere

Don't think the pith is 10-12 inches diam. Heartwood maybe, and pith-associated wood. But the pith is the center ring of the tree.
Think the thought here is to have that center ring be centered in the wood piece sawn out in the center.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Banjo picker

I don't think most of us refer to the pith as being that large...May be and inch or so...could be I need to learn more....Here is my next victum its 18' + but I had 3 teeth pulled yesterday and I think i'll have to wait....

...beenthere beat me to it....
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

losttheplot

Take boards alternately, from each side of the log, until you have a cant that is your target width and as tall as possible.
The center of the log should be in the center of the cant.

Take boards from the cant rotating it 180* if you see any signs of stress.

If the log is big enough make three cants, however the outside cants may move or need a trim cut.
DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK !

Thank You Sponsors!