iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Backpressure on a 4-53

Started by jd540b, January 30, 2013, 03:40:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jd540b

Anyone know how critical a muffler is on a detroit?  Obviously sound deadning.....but for the motor or turbo, will lack of back pressure harm the motor?  Need a new muffler (guts are gone in it now-pretty much a straight pipe) and was thinking of running it and waiting till spring when I can get it to shop to do right.

loggah

A lot of guys ran 53 series detroits with a straight pipe, in the summer you should at least run a spark arrestor.   The noise will definitely increase. ;D
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

snowstorm

you dont need a spark arrestor if its turbo charged

loggah

Right,but most 3-53 and 4-53 engines aren't turboed,at least on most of the older equipment.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

tyb525

A diesel engine always does better with no back pressure. turbo or non turbo.

I'd put a glasspack on it to quiet it down some, they don't restrict flow. And a spark arrester if required.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

saltydog

I cant imagine running a detroit without a muffler!Talk about loud!
Proud to be a self employed logger.just me my Treefarmer forwader Ford f600 truck 2186 Jonsereds 385 and 390 husky and several 372s a couple 2171s one 2156  one stihl 066  Hudson bandmill Farquhar 56"cat powered mill.and five kids one wife.

tyb525

The turbo'd ones are quieter, but any non-turbo diesel is drastically louder than a gas engine due to the higher compression ratio. Higher compression=bigger bang!
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

loggah

Detroit 2 cycle diesels actually scavenge better with  a  less restrictive exhaust system, most of the noise in the Detroits  is because of their root style blower.

jd540b

Well, that settles it-going to leave it be.  Not really thhaaattt loud...... :) 

barbender

Loggah, I agree- the noisiest part of a detroit is the blower, I've often wondered if a person could make some type of intake "silencer" to knock the whistle down a few clicks.
Too many irons in the fire

Rob-IL

My 1984 240A with a 4-53 still has its LARGE factory muffler, its not really loud by any means and has plenty of power. I've owned several 3-53s & 4-53s in the past running only a spark areasting muffler where people would hear us working 2-3 (or more) miles away!!!
I grew up around logging but chose to be a heavy equipment mechanic for several years. Later in life my interest changed so my cousin and myself went into logging on our own in 1988.

grassfed

If it is idling alot, wet stacking/running too cold you should consider restricting the exhaust. Detroit does have a spec for exhaust back pressure in the manual. I have heard of adding restrictions to the exhaust of lightly loaded generators with 2 stroke detroits.
Mike

PAFaller

I put a big thrush tube on mine, it came with one that got smashed once, I put some guards around the new one to prevent that again. Factory style muffler for a detroit powered tj are pretty spendy, the thrush was 75 bucks. Runs great, noisy enough but not as bad as running it with nothing. When I ran without one the exhaust didnt seem to go above the cab enough. I dont mind diesel fumes but it was a bit rough on a long skid. Id put some type of tube on it just to get the exhaust up and or back out of the operator station.
It ain't easy...

lumberjack48

My S8 had a 4x6 inch 3/8" thick pipe the length of the canopy with 6 ears welded on so it can be bolted on. On the one end i welded a 3/8" plate over it, then cut a 3" hole for the drop pipe. I made a drop pipe out of an old drive shaft, don't weld the drop pipe on, on till you know what the angle is on your muffler pipe. My drop pipe was about 6"s long with about a 60 degree angle. I ran stainless steel flex pipe from the drop pipe to the muffler. Reason for flex pipe is you have to have some give some where for movement of the motor. I also had a piece of flex pipe cut to the length so that i could pull the muffler off and run a straight pipe. The piece of flex pipe between the drop pipe and the muffler lasted about 6 months. I always had some with me just in case it started leaking. I got the muffler you see in the picture form napa. You could see straight though it, it was a muffler recommended for Detroit engines. This muffler knocked the noise down about 40%.
The pipe on the canopy should have rubber between the ear mounts and the roof of the canopy. This helps give everything a little movement, i used a piece of truck tire, i drilled a hole in it Then just sung the bolts up good, and double nut or use lock nuts.

Heres a picture of my S8 with this muffler system, can't see it very good, but give ya an idea.

Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Thank You Sponsors!