iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT 50 electric & morgan edger

Started by redbeard, January 30, 2013, 02:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redbeard

Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Bibbyman

That's ElectricAl, Linda and sons.

Good folks.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

tyb525

Nice setup but it looks like it would get awful crowded in there!
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Bibbyman

Yes, but it's heated!  What more can you ask on a day like today!
Sawing since '94

redbeard

There is a couple more videos one with exhaust system . I was hoping they were members. I sure liked there layout.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

ladylake

Looks like Linda was getting a workout.  It would be nice if the edger could be inline with the roller table, sheds are never big enough.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Kcwoodbutcher

My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

LOGDOG

Looks at the guns on Linda. That girl's in shape. I had no idea that this was our ElectricAl. I've admired them for years.  :)

pyrocasto

I can only hope I marry a woman that like wood and likes to physically work! Nice looking operation there!

drobertson

real nice redbeard!  looks like a hog of a motor, how many hp is this one?
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Nomad

Now that's hustling.  That young lady is moving so fast she's apt to bump into herself going the other direction!!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

ElectricAl

LogDog,

Pitty the fool that limits Linda's Second Amendment Right to "Bear Arms".

Thanks to JeffB for the nice Tatoo.

I had to do a little digging to find this photo. Some might remember seeing it in 2003.

ElectricAl

Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

redbeard

ElectricAl  I really enjoyed watching your operation.

Bibbyman

ElectricAl and Linda have made several interesting videos lately.  They are well produced. 
Sawing since '94

ElectricAl

Redbeard and Bibbyman,

Glad you likes the Videos.
Our Video Staff will appreciate hearing that.

One of Linda's Sawmill videos got 300 some views in 12 hours after Wood-Mizer featured it on their FaceBook page.

Stay tuned.

ElectricAl
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

LOGDOG

That little woman is packed tight ElectricAl. You got you a keeper there. I had watched your older videos before and maybe even seen a write up on you guys in WoodMizer News wayyyyyy back? I'd have to dig. But I've always liked your operation. I admired that little ride along step you had engineered too. Much more practical that a seat for the sawyer who need to remain on his feet to step away. Will you put something similar on the LT 50? Did Linda grin when I mentioned her "guns"?  :)

Larry

I also enjoyed the video. :) :)  Watched another one of the dust collection for ideas.  There's a lot of work putting one of those together.

You guys had a special name for that little skate thing...Jolly Roger or something like that.  I can't remember.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Dave Shepard

Looks like there was an extra swinging bed section on the end of the mill, like the ones on the early '90s mills. Was that a factory option? I sometimes wish I had some more support all the way out at the end.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Woodkiller

That was a great video. That wife of your is dang sure a keeper. I like the operation. You can tell it ain't your first day on the job.:-)

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

LOGDOG

How many horsepower on that mill ElectricAl? Congratulations on the new mill by the way. How many hours and board feet were on the old one when you swapped it out?

WDH

I really enjoyed the video and was super impressed! 

(Note to self:  DO NOT make a video of my operation  :)   ;D). 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bandmill Bandit

Good video. good equipment. But like was said before shed small. Linda Is
working way to hard.  Tooooo much man handling. But we all work with what we have. Till we can build bigger any way.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

ElectricAl

LogDog,

Linda is very proud of her Guns.
She has moved a lot of lumber to get them.

By the way, we were featured in the Wood-Mizer Way, waaaay back.
Even though our phone number was not listed in the article, our phone rang and rang.
They all had the same basic question.
It's the question Bibbyman has to answer often.
"can you make a good living sawing?"

The original trolley with the wheels was called the "Jolly Trolly".
Larry's memory is pretty good.

It was fun to ride, but it had issues. It would roll on the dust just fine. However bark was a different story.
The bearings would wear out and it would be like a shopping cart. Wheels would flop around until one would fall off.

This is from July 2004 "Useful Sawmill Mods"

Quote from: ElectricAl on July 27, 2004, 06:23:26 PM
Want to see our first attempt at not walking ;

We called it the Jolly Trolly

We used this off and on for over a year. The real downfall was the bearings broke at least every other month.
The Trolly would go into a high speed wable
(like your shopping cart)  then the wheel would fall off :o

Quote from: ElectricAl on July 27, 2004, 05:45:10 PM
Ok, here is a mod that might be more useful to the WM walkers.

It's a platform to stand on as the sawhead moves throught the cut.

It bolts to the lower cam follower mounts and goes under the battery box.

It's hard to see, but the bottom of the platform is 5" off the floor. This way you can walk if you want. Also, you won't hook your toes when walking past.

Dave,

We added extra bed rails to this mill.
Also have extras on our 1993  40HD .
The extra rails support long lumber.
Anyone can saw Thick and Thin.
20' 6"  and on target thickness is how we like to do it.

Extra bed rails are not an option when buying a new mill. But the parts are available from the friendly Customer Service Staff at Wood-Mizer.  For $134 currently. WM part #  K06897

DRobertson,

The Electric Motor is a 25 hp Lincoln. It is very large in size.
Larger than years past.
Lincoln has added extra flywheel weight to help get through tougher knots.
The down side to the extra internal weight is, it's hard to start unless you have real good incoming power.

WoodKiller,

In May 2013 it will be 20 years  :o

CustomSawyer,

Two LT70's still trumps an LT40HD and a LT50Super ;)

LogDog,

The hour meter reading on the 1993 is a little misleading.
We had 1800 hours on the Gas engine. But when we went Electric the only time the hour meter counted was when the blade was cutting. We shut off the Electric Motor for all hydraulic functions because we had a 220 volt hydraulic power pack. So the hours never really racked up.
As far as total footage....Really don't know, but it's in the millions.
We did have one customer that bought 500,000' two years in a row followed by 550,000'.
That was Grade White Oak. The 4x6 cant went else where. we don't do Ties.
The Lumber ended up in Germany. 

WDH

Al,

Very inspirational.  What I saw in the video was quality, class, and pride.  That is a hard combo to beat.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!