iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pine tree issues

Started by Raider Bill, January 30, 2013, 11:40:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

Yesterday while strolling through my ines I came upon these 2 issues.
This first one is the only one I found like this it is about 25 feet away from a big stand of pine. Black sap coming out of the tree. Pictures are not that good sorry.

These second sets of pictures there are 10-12 trees together that have died and the bark peeling. These are in the middle of a large pine stand.

How much trouble am I in with this?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

RynSmith

The first tree looks like a wound that's in the process of healing over to me.

I'm guessing someone will be able to tell you which type of beetle you have in the second situation but it can help to look on the inside of a piece of bark at the shape of the tracks left behind for proper identification.  Sure looks like a pocket of bug kill...

WDH

The dead pines were surely attacked by bark beetles, most likely Ips beetle.  They do attack live healthy trees sometimes, but they generally attack trees that are weak or under stress.  The stress could be from drought, the trees get stressed, the beetles smell them out, then attack them.  Weakened pines may not have as much pitch to throw at the beetles when they bore in.  There is nothing that you can do about it.  Ips usually kill trees in clusters of 5 to 10 trees.

I found 20 dead and dying pines today in a 26+ year old stand.  I suspect annosum root rot.  There has been a lot of it going around in certain soil types.  It is more prevalent in sandy soil.  Bad stuff, for sure.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DanG

Studying the pics for a few minutes, it looks like the beetle-killed trees are at the top of a hill, which would make them the first to suffer in a drought.  That tends to support WDH's theory.

The first pic looks like a Fusiform Rust scar healing over.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

woodtroll

I would guess a bark beetle killed your trees, such as ips or pine beetle. But what you see in the pictures looks like flat head wood borers.
They come in afterwards and start breaking the wood down. The frass and wood dust you see looks like theirs.
They also destroy the galleries from earlier bug by eating right through them.

woodtroll

WDH,
do ips galleries dig into the wood just a little bit there?  Here in the hills they leave just a little groove in the wood, pine beetle do not.
On these pics I do not see any galleries left.

Texas Ranger

Yup to everyone.  IN other words, I concur.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WDH

Jeremy,

No, the galleries are in the inner bark and I have not seen the effect of them in the solid wood under the bark.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

wildbill

Could any of these problems be caused by a past fire?

Where my dad is involved its possible those trees may have gotten a little warm at one time or another
Raider Bill's favorite son

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

woodtroll

our ips engrave the out layer of the wood, in the cambium layer. You can just feel it with your finger nail. they do not go into the wood.

WDH

Now that you brought it up, I will have to look.

How is the pine cone collection doing?

woodtroll

All my samples are sitting next to my desk. Still in there boxes. We went from and extreme fire year to full blown battle against the pine beetle. I have never been so busy (with out being in the woods). Same reason why I have not been on here in months. Are State has been very generous with my region to battle the pine beetle coming out of South Dakota.

Thank You Sponsors!