iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pulpwood Stumpage?

Started by semologger, January 30, 2013, 11:08:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

semologger

I was wondering what a good price of oak pulpwood for stumpage is. I am getting 25 a ton hauled. I was offering a guy on a 120 acre tract 5 dollars a ton. But he had someone offer him a third. I didnt see the tract he said it has alot of 10 inch trees on it but the hickory hasnt been cut in a long time. He said if i give a third i can cut it. I said nope cant afford it. i did just get another job for 4 dollars a ton. I dont know how  guy can give a third on pulpwood. Saw timber yes. I can get timber so much cheaper from goverment tract i hate cutting on private. The missouri conservation here in town is selling pulpwood or blocking  for 10 to 15 percent.

grassfed

Around here you would be lucky to get $4 dollars a ton for hardwood pulp stumpage. I think that if you are getting $25 on the landing paying 5 sounds about right. We get around  $20 now.
Mike

rooster 58

It's 2-3 bucks a ton here in nw pa.

logman81

I get 25 a ton for soft wood delivered to the mulch place, or 200 per tri axle load picked up by the mill.
Precision Firewood & Logging

SwampDonkey

I see hardwood is going for $40-50 a ton and Aspen up to $60/ton at different mills up this way. I know loggers always paid between 20-30% ($8-12) on those prices back in 2005 before prices slid. Seems prices are almost back to those days. I was just looking at a price sheet from the York county forest products marketing board. Those are mill delivered prices.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

KyLogger

We're gettin' $23 a ton here for it (that's all hardwood, no pine) and usually try to give no more than $3 for it.....Even then it's not a real big money maker.
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

dsgsr

Last week I got $40. ton for hardwood pulp delivered to Bessey's log yard, Bucksport Rd, Ellsworth. It was just Aspen Tops, got 46 for the stems.

David
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump
2015 Miller 325 Trailblazer Welder/Gen

lumberjack48

If i could have got that kind of money 18 years ago i would have never quit logging.
We could have grossed 2k a day, then minus the trucking and stumpage.

The last hardwood we had was 50 cds of 5 stick Red Oak, beautiful stuff no limbs, straight as an arrow, about 8" on the butt. I couldn't get rid of it, i finely sold it to a trucker i knew. He was going by empty everyday, so he'd use it as a haul back, he gave us $20. a cord.
Times were tough around here 20 yrs ago.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

SwampDonkey

Softwood pulp and logs was worth more 18 years ago and the trucking was a lot less. Also, you could move all the 4' pulp you could muster. 4' was good because you could buck the rot out of the older fir that really would be left as fertilizer otherwise. All you needed was a horse or wheeler and some kind of buggie or wagon to get to the pickup. Mill yards would have fellas with pickup loads of 4 foot pulp land by the end of the week for the groceries and beer money. These were fellas that did it by hand and had no big investment in equipment. And a lot of them depended on that wood cheque for the groceries because they barely had money enough for the tar paper on the shack.

I land on one old ladies lot a few years ago who wanted it cruised. She was in NY state and only been to the lot once when they bought it in the 60's. There was one of them shacks propped up on the corner of her lot, that she never knew of. The guy had been living there and cutting free wood for years. When I got there the place was all cut for a few years by then and the old shack abandoned, with the tar paper flap'n in the wind. The old lady wasn't too impressed that her lot was all harvested and I think after the news of it she looked into selling it. Personally, I couldn't see what value it was to her anyway from where she was. Land like that doesn't move much in price. It was out in a remote rural area where there wasn't even a  farm field. Although people lived in a scattered and sparse pattern along that road. No store or gas for miles though.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

smwwoody

$27/ton delivered here  and i am paying $7/ton stumpage
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

lumberjack48

18 years ago , Aspen pulpwood stumpage was $50+ a cord. The mills were only buying wood from the big loggers, 5000 cd contracts. They didn't deal with any small loggers any more, 100 to 500 cd contracts. The one logger i knew was cutting 200 cds a day. He owned 7 semi's with center mount loaders. He told me if he didn't haul the wood he couldn't make it. The trucking was the only money left after paying stumpage and logging expenses. On some sales they bid the stumpage higher then they got delivered to the mill. This is when they ran us out of business, we couldn't bid against them. Big business wanted to control the logging industry, and that they do. All the timber brokers in the small towns are gone. The last 100 inch Aspen we logged, we got $16. a cord to put it on the landing.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

tlandrum

i can get 21 a ton 6 miles away from me or i can haul it 80 miles away and get 35. i choose to haul it the 6 miles and i pay 20%
www.wickedworksaw.com
wickedworksaw@gmail.com
Husqvarna and jonsered dealer
chainsaw porting for high production work saws

Ed_K

28 @ mill,I offer $2. and theres no profit in it,especially if it's more than 500' skid.
Ed K

craigc

The Wood products industry needs a raise!
Rottne SMV, Timbco with Logmax 9000, JD 540B Grapple.

Ken

Hardwood stumpage here runs around $10-12/ton.  We are getting $40+/ton for hardwood pulp delivered.  The softwood pulp market on the other hand is very weak.  We are offered around $35/ton to deliver.  Many operators, including myself, are leaving all swd pulp on the ground.   Just not worth the effort.  Unfortunately many landowners will not harvest their other products if they can not realize a return on the swd pulp.  Makes it hard to find enough private stumpage blocks to keep things going.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Thank You Sponsors!