iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gurney's Seed Catalog

Started by Magicman, January 30, 2013, 08:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

The catalog came yesterday, so it is time to be thinking about tilling  and deciding what to plant this year.  There are several species that need to be planted in February, and February is almost here.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

There's Magicman again bragging about February.  :D  I can only dream about planting looking at the Seed Book in February.
What is your growing season,by the way? Mine kinda use to be about 90 days. From the last of May until the first of September. And if you was planting the last of May,you better watch the weather,we could still get a frost. When we had the greenhouse we got a frost in June one year,which is odd.Some people came back and brought more tomato plants.The way things are now we are pushing 120 now. The last few years we may get one cold snap,but warms back up. I push the beet greens. We sell veggie and people really like them. It's our best seller. They don't mind the cold.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

rooster 58

Yeah, regarding February, does anyone know of anything that will grow in frozen soil? ::) :P

Magicman

Our corn and English (green) peas are normally planted in February/March.  There are also things like carrots, cabbage.

What is this "frozen soil" that you speak of??   ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

chevytaHOE5674

Got our first Gurneys seed catalog just after Christmas this year. It shocked me as we will probably have snow on the ground at least through March if not into April. We have since got about 3 of them. haha

LOGDOG

Check out the Burpee catalog as well. Beautiful stuff in there. Frogs are croaking here, flowers are blooming ...we're almost home free and out of winter.

blackfoot griz

C'mon up to Montana MM.  I'll show you thousands of square miles of the stuff!  We'll have to dig through some snow to get at it though ;)

stefan

Quote from: Magicman on January 30, 2013, 09:02:10 AM
Our corn and English (green) peas are normally planted in February/March.  There are also things like carrots, cabbage.

I think i got a pretty good idea about what that "frozen soil" is.
And i´ll tell you this, its much tougher than my nose, which at a few times over the years has tried to attack  the frozen soil and got beat up real bad. hurt_smiley

SwampDonkey

Since you've had a couple cold snaps down in MS, I was wondering if the daffodils sprouted up. ;D

We get those seed books all winter here and father starts planting mater seed in pots in February. I used to, then would put them against the barn with a glassed in shelter in late April. Maters by first of July instead of September. But these late years I'm not too interested in maters, too acidic on the belly. Peppers and cukes are my thing now. I had some nice long cukes last season kind of like those English ones. mmm I grow nice carrots to, my soil is soft enough that they go nice and deep. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

LOGDOG

Cukes don't give you gas? Man... they tear me up. I can eat pickles though. What strain of carrots you growin'?

Dandelions are up in LA and some tall white flowers at the neighbors. Have to see what they are.

SwampDonkey

No, cukes don't work on me any different than any other food. Gotta pass a little gas once in awhile. It's a bodily function. :) As far as the strain of carrots, I don't really know. I just get them at the local seed centre along with the cukes and peppers. I am not loyal to any strain. I like beats to, even the greens. I don't like beats to get too big though. A grew a few. Like waxed beans, but not really a lot of room. Of well, I have other hobbies to. ;D I like winter time to, so don't rush through life too quick. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Kansas

Be sure and plant some of Gurney's "Gotta have it" sweet corn variety. Simply the best.

thecfarm

I went down to the mail box and what do I see,a Gurney's Seed Catalog. Now I don't feel left out of the loop.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

blackfoot griz

I was reading some of these entries to my wife and she said "So your buddy in MS gets his catalog yesterday, we've had ours for three weeks and we can't plant anything outside until June, who's in charge of mailing out those catalogs?" :o

SwampDonkey

Those seed folks do that mail out this early to get you through the rest of the hard winter. :D

Like Red said in "Alcatraz". 'They don't want you doing nothing but time.'  ;D

Magicman

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 30, 2013, 04:26:03 PMSince you've had a couple cold snaps down in MS, I was wondering if the daffodils sprouted up. ;D
Yup, I was at the Cabin for a couple of days.  It looks like this.   :)

I posted another picture on the "Weather" thread.   :)

LOGDOG

Yep ... got them here too. I was going to post that the Narcissus were up.

SwampDonkey

Wow, you or your folks must have went wild planting daffodils. :)

thecfarm

That sure does look like spring. My Father would enjoy seeing that picture.

Magicman

Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 02, 2013, 05:27:58 AMWow, you or your folks must have went wild planting daffodils. :) 
You only have to plant one, and they will do the rest.   :)  My Cabin site has been a house site for well over 150 years, and so many of the bulbs were relocated when the original building was leveled.  If you do not mow the leaves, they will flourish.

SwampDonkey

Thank You Sponsors!