iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

People Over 35

Started by Ga_Boy, April 03, 2004, 04:31:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ga_Boy

I didn't write this.  My brother-in-law down in Savannah sent it to me.

People over 35 should be dead.

Here's why.

According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in the 40's, 50's, 60's, or even maybe the early 70's probably shouldn't have survived. Our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paint. We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets, and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets. (Not to mention the risks we
took hitchhiking.)

As children, we would ride in cars with no seatbelts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pickup truck on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle.

Horrors!

We ate cupcakes, bread and butter, and drank coke with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing. We shared one coke with four friends, from one bottle, and no one actually died from this.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then rode down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem. We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the sun set.

No one was able to reach us all day.

NO CELL PHONES!!!!!

Unthinkable!

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo 64, X-Boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, video tape movies, surround sound, personal cell phones, personal computers, or Internet chat rooms. We had friends! We
went outside and found them. We played dodge ball, and sometimes, the ball would really hurt.

We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones and teeth, and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

They were accidents.

No one was to blame but us.

Remember accidents?

We had fights and punched each other and got black and blue and learned to get over it.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate worms, and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes, nor did the worms live inside us forever. We rode bikes or walked to a friend's home and knocked on the door, or rang the bell or just walked in and talked to them. Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment.

Some students weren't as smart as others, so they failed a grade and were held back to repeat the same grade.

Horrors!

Tests were not adjusted for any reason.

Our actions were our own.

Consequences were expected.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of.

They actually sided with the law.

Imagine that!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem solvers and inventors, ever.

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.

And you're one of them!

Congratulations!
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

shopteacher

Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

redpowerd

yea, whats going on with the world. i want to someday have a large family but why would i bring my children into this feel-good-do-nothing-let the government sort it out country we live in. i know you must see the reality, teech. schools raise our kids. ill be homeschoolin.
gunna ship them off to teech for shop! ;D
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Frickman

I've read this somewhere else, but always love seeing it again. We never had organized "play dates." You just went out and played with whoever was there, making up games as you went. I can remember taking my squirrel rifle and a sandwich and be gone all day running the hills at twelve or thirteen years old. Noone knew where you were or when you'd get home until you did. Could you imagine the uproar if an armed junior high kid was running loose around the countryside these days. An old timer was telling me yesterday that he's never seen so many squirrels around. Today's kids don't keep the population in check like we did.

Another fellow who was talking to us said he thinks that today's parents have kids too regimented and programmed from an early age. The kids have very little unstructured free time, they mostly shuttle between school, soccer, dance class, tutoring, etc. I feel that using your imagination and gaining your independence is what has made the previous generations great. I employ young people around the farm part-time and I've found that the majority have been coddled so long they don't know how to think independently or take responsibilty for their actions. They also haven't learned that life isn't always fair or easy. Mom and Dad have done their best to "protect" them from the real world.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

etat

Wow!, I really enjoyed reading that! :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

redpowerd

Quotearmed junior high kid was running loose around the countryside
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

thats exactly how they would tag it. mabie with some mental illness in there somewheres.

is that a slingshot in yer back pocket, son?
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Frickman

I remember carrying a good-sized pocket knife everywhere I went from about age 5, including school. In grade school us boys would play mumbly-peg with barlow knives or throw buck knives at stumps. The girls would play hopscotch and jump rope. At recess the teacher would assign us boys jobs like burning trash in the barrel out back. 8 years old and they trusted us with matches and knives. Nowadays they might not even allow the jump ropes. Someone might trip and skin a knee. It sure is a different world we live in today.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

WV_hillbilly

I resemble that . It is a sad state of affairs these days for kids overall .  when I grew up we were hardly in the house  there was always something to do outside  like building forts , swinging on grape vines, shooting BBguns, riding bikes or horses , and having road apple battles . :o  When we were about 10 or 11 we could even take the 22's out with out supervision . About the only rule was to be home for Supper .

I just bought a 50 cc 4 wheeler for my almost 6 yr old .  He's 52 " tall and 70 LBS  and the 4 wheeler is rated for up to 90 Lbs.. One dealer would not sell me one cause he wasn't 6 years old yet .That's rediculous he's been riding an electric one for 3 yrs now . That dealer said if I bought it and something happened before he was 6 He could be held liable and I could get in serious trouble with the court system .  That's what our world has come too .

Another thing that burns me is a family at my sons preschool. Their son isn't allowed to come over to our house to play cause I  own guns . Now mind you they are locked up in a safe . Heck when we was little we knew the guns where in mom and dads bedroom closet . We even knew how to load them and shoot them . GO FIGURE .
Hillbilly

EZ

When I did something bad, I got the crap beat out of me and I never even thought about turning in my parents.
When my dad drank to much he would get pulled over and the cops would drive him home or follow him home so he made it safe.
EZ

smwwoody

Yea my dad bought me my first .22 for going to kindergarten the first day.
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Frank_Pender

Yep, Frickman, I resemble some of that running around with a gun, myself.  We all carried Red Ryder Daisey BB guns as well as the 22's from time to time.   We even and a few BB gun fights between some of the further away neighborhoods. :'(

In school we would play marbles for keeps and have as many as a couple hundered up in a 5 or 6 foot ring on bare dirt during the noon lunch time.  Can't do that any more because of playing for keeps would be considered theft.  I too, carried a pocket knife all through grade and high school.  I used my a lot in woodshop for fine tuning some types of joints.  Even as an adult I am sure some would consider you an endangerment to society if they knew you carried a knife.
Frank Pender

Duane_Moore

:D :DFrank... I want my Aggie Back.    that was my best marble.  Duck Tails, Widdows Peaks, Wedges, 3/4 length Jackets, Chukka Boots, No Belt loops, Peggers,  Rolled up Tee shirt sleeves, Pall Malls,  You guys were a bunch of Hoods, Probly grew up Smokin, Drinkin, Cussin, Chasin Girls, Chewin Tobacco,  My, My,  Innocent litte me, Duh---Duane ;D ;D ;D ;D
village Idiot---   the cat fixers----  I am not a complete Idiot. some parts missing.

ScottAR

Frank, you are more right than you know.  I work in retail, building materials, and carry a medium sized (I think, 3 inch) pocket knife.  Very handy for cutting plastic bands and stretch wrap.   People look at me like I'm rambo or somthing.  
Right tool for the job I say.  I've broken too many little pocket knives and the "safety" knives they give us are so blooming safe they can't cut anything!  Enough rambling...
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Bibbyman

You guys are wimps.  Need a list for "If you're over 50."

Milk came from a cow to your table without being homogenized, pasteurized or government inspects.  It was kept cool in a springhouse.  

Meat was yesterday's barnyard pet.

Didn't have to worry about TV being a bad influence because there wasn't any.  Would have been hard to watch by coal oil lamp anyway.

Riding in the back of a PU on a warm summers day?  How about riding on the back of a 2-ton flatbed log truck with half the deck missin' because it was the "family car" – any time of the year.

How about being 7 and given the key to the only door in school because you were the first one there and someone had to start the old oil furnace. (only had to walk a mile – up hill both ways – in the snow) Regulations later made them put a back door on the school although it was stupid because there was only one small room.

Helped you dad with the bean crop by spraying weedy places with hand pump sprayer filled with DDT.

Ah... Don't get me started...
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

shopteacher

Well, I could elaborate greatly on the aspect of the demise of youth and a lot has to do with the state of public education. I won't as I might jeopardize my employment as a public school teacher.
   All those things that Frickman and others stated; I can relate to greatly.  Sounds like a rendition of my youth. Hunting after school and Sat. were a favorite. Playing in the creek was another. Building shacks in the wood, hide&go seek, catchers, kick the can.  I could make a video game of that, but seeing as how no killing or maiming takes place I don't think it would be a big seller.
    I carry a buck knife everywhere and have had kids tell me I'm not allowed to have that in school, my response is " In my hand it's a tool like any other, in yours it's a weapon".

Ron Wenrich

Jeez, you guys had neighbors.  My trusty sidekick was my dog, and we went visiting the older neighbors.  Now, they kick the old folks into retirement villages.

Another thing I was taught was to call my elders either Mr. or Mrs., never by their first name.  That's gone out the window, as well.

What we are teaching the present generation is how to run machines.  Nothing on how they work, or how to build one - that came from inovation of building something from nothing or fixing it after it broke.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

old3dogg

Ga-boy.
Darn it man ya make me want to be a kid again
Wait a minute.I already am.Im just stuck in a 37 year old body.
Im trying to raise my kids right.So far I havent been sued!

WV_hillbilly

EZ   I got my fair share of those whuppins too . I  never got one I didn't deserve but I missed out on some I should have got .   I was in my early 20's and our family got talkin about spanking . I found out I had been an abused child from those whuppins and didn't even know it back then . I could  have imagined the look on my parents face if I had told them go ahead I'll call the cops . That would have added a couple more wacks is all .  
Hillbilly

redpowerd

i wanted to mention public education, but couldnt out of respect for old butch
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

SwampDonkey

Been there, and done all that.  ;D  :D  ;D  :D  8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

shopteacher

redpowerd: don't be belittling Ol Butch with thinking he was inflicked with public education. He's prep school all the way. ;D
      He's even thinking of going to Harrr-vard, then politics. Who knows maybe the White House.

hiya

Them were the good old days. 8) 8) 8)
Richard
RichardinMd.

Haytrader

Hey Bib,

Maybe hand sprayin that DDT is what stunted yer growth.

;)
Haytrader

Ga_Boy

When I was about five, I walked into the Farmers Mutual Exchange with my Momma and said "Hello Ralph".

My Momma, took to beat'n the #$&*#@$?">|}&^$#! out of me right there on the spot.  Nobody called the Police, I'm sure glad they didn't cause the Police probbly would have cut my momma a green switch for her to use to teach me right.  To this day I don't care how old you are, I say yes sir and no sir.

Have'n to go cut your own switch was the worst.  If it was too dry and broke too soon that only made it worse, cause then she would get the leather belt.  The block I lived on was a mile on each leg and we walked it or rode our bikes around it at least three times a week during the summer.  My first bike was one I built from spare parts.  My closest friend lived about six miles away and we would meet in the middle when we palyed.

My daughter; shes seven; is starting to understand why I cut her a path through the woods to her firends house.  I tell her if you want to play that bad you'll walk, if not, go find something to do.

I do miss being a kid.  I freely admit that I am a Georgia Redneck, that is what I grew up as and still am to this day. I am glad that I have found a bunch of other rednecks from all over this great land that shared similar childhoods and have a love for the outdoors and wood.

10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

EZ

Ya I remember the, go get me a switch. The one time my dad told my brother and I to go get a switch and he got a switch and I brought in a log about 4 inch in dia, about 3 foot long. We new dad wanted to laugh but he held it back. The switchin wasnt to bad that day.
EZ

Thank You Sponsors!