iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tightening my taperlock bearings

Started by mfletch1, January 29, 2013, 11:19:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mfletch1

I used two taper-lock bearings on my swing saw arbor and can't find an actual torque spec.  The supplier says to keep tightening till there is an increase in rolling torque.....nice but hard to get accurate.  It is an 1 and 7/16 shaft.  I got them as tight as I could with a 16" spanner but I can't imagine the mayhem if it ever came out on the fly.

Any tips ?
fletch

bandmiller2

Fletch,basically as tite as you can without stressing the bolts that tighten it.I can't see your setup but it would be good form not to rely on only the taperloc in a critical application,a secondary means of securing the shaft such as a snap ring,cotter pin,roll pin est.If we see it, we can make more educated comments. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

wildbill

From past experience dont use anti seize on taperlocks.  Made that mistake once and the taperlock "exploded".

What size are the threads going into the lock?  I can take a look in the warehouse to see if we have something close...with specs
Raider Bill's favorite son

millwright

Any good bearing supply house should be able to tell you the clearance for them. It is measured between the roller and the outer race with a feeler gauge, if you know the bearing number I can look on a chart and let you know what the clearance is.

Thank You Sponsors!