iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

which saw should I buy?

Started by oldsaw-addict, April 03, 2004, 04:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldsaw-addict

I need a new top handle saw now that my Power mac decided to go on a long break. My current considerations are the Husky 334, 338, Stihl MS190 MS200. Which one would you point towards as a first choice? Thanks in advance.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

rahtreelimbs

Out of the list that you have the Stihl MS200 is the first and only choice. The current Husky line of top handle saws ( with the exception of the 335 California Special ) are as prblematic as the original 335's. Might I suggest an Echo 3400 top handle saw. They list at about $250 and are very reliable!
Nothing Like A  Modded Saw To Start Your Day!!![/SIZE]               Later, Rich.

jokers

Hi Oldsaw,

Unless you`re in the market for a HEAVY boat anchor, forget the 190/191. I also think that the 334 is going to be light on power for the money you will spend and the 338 has had issues with heat. If your list can`t accomodate any others for consideration, it only leaves the 200.

I suppose that some info regarding budget and intended use could be relevent.  ;D

Russ

oldsaw-addict

Well, I generally use my saws about each and every day, 6 hours a day. The wood I cut varies from job to job. I'm Putting a $450 limit on the saw budget. I dont want an Echo and I DO NOT want a shindaiwa, I looked at Shindaiwa and I hate their top handle model, it doesnt have enough of a handle on it for me to hold it comfortably on the side handle, so Shindaiwa is out of the picture. Echo has too weak of a mounting stud on the bar cover for my liking, I have a habit of setting the bar nuts too tight and I broke one off my Echo CS3000 when I still had it.

redpowerd

i think them efco/olimpik look cheap and plasticy
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

rahtreelimbs

Another decent top handle saw is the Solo 633. It is built on the order of the Echo but may more to your liking.
Nothing Like A  Modded Saw To Start Your Day!!![/SIZE]               Later, Rich.

Rocky_J

There is really only two decent options for climbing saws, and you have eliminated both of them. The MS200T is by far the most popular, by virtue of it's power. Many other factors weigh against it, but nobody cares and the 200T is used by probably 80%-90% of pro climbers. The only other decent, reliable top handle out there is the Echo 340. If you are too heavy-handed to use it, then I cannot help you.

If you fork over the $$$ for the MS200T, keep in mind that it is a much more complicated saw to work on and you are much more likely to need to pay a dealer when it needs repairs.

oldsaw-addict

The solo 633 is IN on my list of possible saws for my job. I'll have to find Efco's website and I'll tell you what I think from there.

Rocky_J

IMO, the Solo 633 isn't great. I used one for a month and found it woefully underpowered compared to an Echo 340. I'd say it was comperable to the Echo 300 in power but it has the awkward handle like the Stihl 200T. Also, mine had some quality control issues.

oldsaw-addict

I just looked at the Efco saws, I dont like them very much at all, they look so much like an Echo that I almost think they are Echo saws with Efco colors and decals. Not a saw for me, the only tophandle I saw made by Efco was the same as an Echo CS300 or 3000 model. I'm either going for the Solo or the Stihl, although I looked at the design of the Solo and thought it looked similar to a Stihl MS 200 model. The hanlde setup is really close on the solo and Stihl saws.

Thank You Sponsors!