iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Slab Checking

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, January 29, 2013, 08:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I can't find anchor seal in a store locally. Looks like I'm gonna have to order it.

Question.....can Polyurethane be used to seal the ends of slabs or board to prevent checking?
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Tree Feller

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 29, 2013, 08:11:07 PM
I can't find anchor seal in a store locally. Looks like I'm gonna have to order it.

Question.....can Polyurethane be used to seal the ends of slabs or board to prevent checking?

It can and it works even better if you mix it 50/50 with aluminum paint. Roofing tar is another good option.

If there are any turning clubs in your area check with them for Anchorseal. Many of the clubs will purchase it in bulk for their members and may sell you some. Large sawmills also carry it sometimes.

If you have to order it, UC Coatings is the place. Personally, I prefer the Classic Formula to the "green" AS2  stuff.

http://www.uccoatings.com/Products/Anchorseal
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Slab Slicer

I order Anchor Seal 2 through Amazon, but I recently found a Woodcraft store not far from me. Same price, $22.99 / gal, and I can shop for other wood working tools while I'm there.   :)
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

WDH

I like the classic much better, but you cannot get the original classic formula on line.  You can call them and they will sell it to you.  Definitely worth the call.  Aluminum roofing paint was way too messy for me.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Lud

Buy it from the source.....5 gallons at a time.  Lot cheaper.  Up here, I get it with the antifreeze. ;)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

hackberry jake

I dissolved some beeswax in turpentine for a cutting board finish and I have been thinking about trying it as an end sealer.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

scsmith42

David, I buy it by the drum.  I also have a couple of 5 gallon pails of Bailey's End sealer in stock.

I'll be driving through the Charlotte area the Friday evening and can bring a 5 gallon pail for you if you want to meet me somewhere near I 85.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

This is my luck.
Before I went to bed last night, and after reading the other post, I ordered a gallon of Anchor Seal 2 via Amazon.
Saw your post this morning Scott.

Thanks, very nice of you to offer. And I mean that.  smiley_thumbsup

I think this gallon will de me. I only have 1 Walnut tree a neighbor gave me. I'm gonna live edge slab it and store the lumber.

Have a safe trip Scott.

WDH

It will be good to have because you surely will need some more with the next whack of white oak logs.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

scsmith42

David, with AS2 be sure to apply multiple coats - probably 3 or 4 spaced about 30 minutes to an hour apart.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: scsmith42 on January 30, 2013, 09:28:50 AM
David, with AS2 be sure to apply multiple coats - probably 3 or 4 spaced about 30 minutes to an hour apart.

I'm laughing to hard Scott.  :D

Believe it or not.... I just came on and I was getting ready to ask that question.

Ya mind reader.  ;D

Thanks.

Thank You Sponsors!