iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best place God ever created

Started by JuniperBoss, January 29, 2013, 04:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JuniperBoss

Yellowstone National Park. For years I thought it wasn't that special. I saw it on TV, it's hugely popular for tourists. What's there for me? Well, two years ago I found out. We've been going back ever since. I wouldn't like it so much if it weren't for one thing...
"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

SPIKER

I REALLY want to get there pretty soon/someday.   I've been to a good number of National Parks, best so far has been the Redwood/Sequoia National Park in CA.   Camed out for a 3 day weekend in Summer of 1992 but I took along a GF that was not very outdoorsy >:( so needless to say we broke up.  ;D  For the people on this board to see that place should be on EVERYONEs to-do list.   

I camped under a Log Run Sloose the first night somewhere about 30 miles south of the park.   There was an offshoot off the road and I drove my 1974 Cougar up a hill to the sloose thinking there would be plenty of flat spot to park & camp at the top.   (Ya someplace UN-authorized for camping I'm sure) the FLAT at the top was big enough for my 2 person tent  :D.   Left the car setting on a pitch of 30~40 degrees or so (limited slip rear end on solid earth/gravel went up pretty good.)

The Sloose had rocks rolling down all night and occasional SPLASHING of ?? something going down hill.   I didnt get much sleep that night and sometime in the night SOMETHING sounded like a bear to me visited us in middle of the night. :o

the next day I backed down and a big rock popped loose and rolled the length of the car as I was backing down banging everything under it.   I hit the bottom backward (100yards or so 10 ~30 degree incline) and parked at the bottom on edge of road to inspect for damage to find oil pouring out what looked like the back of the pan.   >:( :-[ :o   

Turned out the rear main must have leaked down while parked at the steep incline all night and filled up the trans scatter shield & when I hit the flat it ran forward and out  :) ??? :-\   we went on to the park and toured and walked for next 2 days and drove all night back home on the monday morning...

Mark m
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

beenthere

Mark M
Would that also be a log sluice? For transporting logs downhill....
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SPIKER

Quote from: beenthere on January 29, 2013, 08:36:39 PM
Mark M
Would that also be a log sluice? For transporting logs downhill....

Yep that's it!  lol
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

JuniperBoss

This is Lamar Valley, a very popular location for both fishing and wildlife. Here we saw wolves, among other things, and caught some huge native cutthroat trout. Hybrids and rainbows live in these waters also.
"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

rooster 58

The best place on earth is beneath your boots when you're looking at new vistas that you never saw before, whether they be 10 miles from home or 1000 ;)

Axe Handle Hound

Beautiful photos JuniperBoss.  They definitely make me feel like heading out that way.  School me on your trout.  I'm familiar with salmon and some trout, but they look different regionally.  Are those browns?

justallan1

Rooster, I agree with your thinking.
I've been through Yellowstone, (just in passing through), Yosemite, Devils Tower, worked in the woods up in the redwoods and several other places I enjoy everyday right on the ranch that I work for in Montana. It's a large ranch and there are new changes everyday, if you look for them. My house is just to the left of the old grainery and I'll be cutting trees on the hill way off in the distance.

pappy19

If you really want to see some part of Yellowstone that very, very few ever see, go to the most SW entrance of the park at Bechler and take the trail up to the Bechler River and on to the old Buffalo Ranger Station. You get there through Ashton, Idaho. The Bechler has the best stream fishing in the park and probably in the western states. Take your bear spray, but it is worth it. Totally unspoiled wilderness at it's finest.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

JuniperBoss

Quote from: Axe Handle Hound on January 30, 2013, 08:57:30 AM
Beautiful photos JuniperBoss.  They definitely make me feel like heading out that way.  School me on your trout.  I'm familiar with salmon and some trout, but they look different regionally.  Are those browns?
None of these are browns, although some browns live in the Firehole River, which flows right between geysers, hot springs, boiling mud pots and so on. That was truly an amazing experience. That last fish in the photo I believe is a hybrid of rainbow and native cutthroat. No browns in lamar valley that I know of, just cutthroat, rainbow, and hybrid.

JuniperBoss

Quote from: rooster 58 on January 30, 2013, 08:40:15 AM
     The best place on earth is beneath your boots when you're looking at new vistas that you never saw before, whether they be 10 miles from home or 1000 ;)
I do agree with this statement. I do not want to shove Yellowstone in someone's face saying it's the best place ever. I actually have many close seconds, many are fishing spots miles from anything. However, Yellowstone is my favorite so far, for a variety of reasons, fishing being a large one.

rooster 58

Hey Allan thanks ;) You guys don't need another hand out there that has an lt70, do you? ;D

JuniperBoss

This is the second meadow of slough creek. The fishing is incredible here, but the fish are soooo hard to catch because so many people pound it every day.

Here's the Firehole River. Hot springs and water from geysers empty into the river. Some parts of the river are warm, warm enough to swim in and be comfortable. You can literally walk into a sulfurous, volcanic region, walking in between geysers and mud pots, catching fish. Amazing.

justallan1

I hope I didn't come of as offensive with my comment.
JuniperBoss, great pictures, I would one day like to actually spend a little time in Yellowstone and see the sights.

JuniperBoss

No, you did not come off as offensive. Thank you for liking my pictures ;D. What I realized while I was there was that there really was a lot of pristine territory. The roads and common trails are what people travel on and go to most. You have to work at it, but it is possible to venture out of the way of the people and see some amazing places. Like I said, I don't want to shove the title in anyone's face. There are so many great places on this earth. A ranch, a woodlot, or anything like this is an amazing place. I love my woodlot and the gifts it give in the form of resources. The point is, Yellowstone is more than a place on a map or a TV documentary. It is very unique and inspiring. Just wish they would give out a couple hunting tags though :D.

blackfoot griz

Great Post JB.

I had a college professor who once said "It's hard to make a living in Montana but at least you know you're alive".  That though always pops into my mind when fishing places like the Lamar.  I have been fortunate to live in and fly fish in many of the trout streams and rivers in Montana. It is simply impossible to pick a favorite, but, the  Lamar is high on the list.  The fall is my favorite time on The Lamar or Slough ck.  Fewer tourists, crisp air and hearing the bull elk tooting their horns.  I have no pictures but some great memories indeed!

rooster 58

You Montanans have a beautiful state ;) I've been in the nw  corner a few times. It's awesome. I was in Wy. last year and have been in Idaho as well.  Every place I was at had wonderful sights and I have many memories. We have some cool places round these parts as well, maybe not quite so breathtaking, but beautiful in their own right. It's God's blessing to be able to experience them all and to be able to appreciate what the eyes are seeing

pappy19

Another "unknown" spot in Montana is down at the very SE portion adjacent to the Idaho border at Red Rock Lakes Waterfowl Preserve. Red Rock Creek runs through this area and is almost never fished. The Henry Mountains are the view of the century and the fishing is..well, some of the best in Montana for sure. It's just down the road from Henry's Lake in Idaho which ain't too bad either. Plus, you can hunt there in the fall when the wolves chase the elk over towards Ennis.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

JuniperBoss

I really do wish they'd give out say 10 hunting tags for every game species in the park. That amount would actually benefit the park, and absolutely would not hurt it. The bison population seems really high. The real benefit would be that the park could sell them for a ridiculous price. 100 of the richest outdoorsmen in the world may pay $1,000,000 or for 1 tag. A kill is guaranteed, and there are huge big game animals there. What could they do with 100 million dollars???

reride82

Quote from: pappy19 on January 30, 2013, 10:40:38 PM
Another "unknown" spot in Montana is down at the very SE portion adjacent to the Idaho border at Red Rock Lakes Waterfowl Preserve. Red Rock Creek runs through this area and is almost never fished. The Henry Mountains are the view of the century and the fishing is..well, some of the best in Montana for sure. It's just down the road from Henry's Lake in Idaho which ain't too bad either. Plus, you can hunt there in the fall when the wolves chase the elk over towards Ennis.

I totally agree Pappy,
Red Rock Lakes is a place I suggest to people who want to experience wildlife and great scenery outside of the touristy areas, but also don't have a 4x4. From waterfowl like swans, geese, and ducks to predators such as bears, wolves(ugh), coyotes, and eagles. I've even seen moose, elk, deer, and an antelope or two there. Yellowstone is also a favorite of mine, as well as glacier. But my favorite of all is the Bob Marshall Wilderness Area, especially along the Chinese Wall  8)
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

blackfoot griz

"But my favorite of all is the Bob Marshall Wilderness Area"

Reride, you hit the nail on the head there. I worked in the "Bob" for 7 years as a packer and guide.
IMO it's God's living room.

reride82

Blackfoot Griz,
If I could work in the Bob for 7 years, I could then die a very happy man! That place is heaven! I want to do a winter trip sometime and snowshoe in, but this real job keeps getting in the way. It has been over two years since I have been in there. This summer I will have to change that  ;) I love it up there in September when it is still summer, the bulls are starting to bugle, and the colors are starting to change.  ;D
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

Glenn

Well I agree that YellowStone is a beautiful place but you need to head up here and visit Algonquin Park sometime !!

JuniperBoss

If there aren't fish to catch, count us out! We're hooked on Yellowstone!

hardtailjohn

Quote from: reride82 on January 31, 2013, 12:37:28 PM
my favorite of all is the Bob Marshall Wilderness Area,

Gotta agree with ya there...my Dad was a commercial outfitter there for over 30 years.... lots of good memories in the Bob for me!  Glacier is only about 50 miles from me, but there's so many tourists that you can hardly see around them...but that's what makes it work, I guess.
My Great Grandpa had a Chromium mine in the Red Lodge area... basically pioneered all the Beartooth pass area. I heard from my uncle that there's a museum in Red Lodge that's pretty much dedicated to him, but haven't gotten down to see it...maybe this year...
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

Thank You Sponsors!