iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Question about Using the Wood-Mizer Resaw Attachment

Started by DR_Buck, January 29, 2013, 03:09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR_Buck

This past weekend I was started making molding blanks for for baseboard molding from lumber I've stockpiled.   It was all sawn at 4/4 and 5/4 then kiln dried.   Before I could run it through the molding cutter I've had to rip it to width on the table saw and then plane it down to 3/4" and 5/8"  thickness.   Planing takes a long time and multiple passes, even on my Woodmaster 5hp planer.  I ended up emptying my 55 gallon dust collector drum 6 or 7 times just to get a few hunderd linear feet of molding blanks.

I'm looking for a more efficient and faster way to make stock thinner and was wondering if anybody used the latest model (RS2) Wood-Mizer resaw attachment to resaw kiln dried 4/4 and 5/4 boards into thinner stock?    The price is a little high, but maybe I can talk myself into buying one if it will work with 10ft to 12ft  4/4 boards.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

WH_Conley

Is there a pallet shop around close that could run them through the resaw for you. Maybe after hours or something. If the boss is willing there are usually some bucks that will stay a little later to make a little extra beer money.
Bill

Cedarman

I think WH has a great idea if you have someone in the area.
My guys will just about always stay for that kind of work.  I usually let them have all the money.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

wwsjr

I have the older model WM resaw. I have it set up to saw bevel siding. I use 1 1/8" and saw it to 5/8" to 3/8" X 6" or 8". Works good for me. I have cut a 1000 BF in about an hour. Never have used it to resaw thinner boards, but I think it would work OK.  I think the later model has a much better feed system.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

Jim H

I have the older model. I've done bevel siding, and also boards like you are describing with good success. I like the looks of the new style resaw plus it can be set up to do shingles.  Jim
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

Klicker

I have a 2007 model and have used it to resaw 1 inch boards and found it did it well. Rod
2006 LT 40 HD

JustinW_NZ

Quote from: wwsjr on January 29, 2013, 05:16:23 PM
I have the older model WM resaw. I have it set up to saw bevel siding. I use 1 1/8" and saw it to 5/8" to 3/8" X 6" or 8". Works good for me. I have cut a 1000 BF in about an hour. Never have used it to resaw thinner boards, but I think it would work OK.  I think the later model has a much better feed system.

Excuse the thread hijack, but wwsjr I have one of the older resaws as well (it came with the mill) ive never used it but I assume looking at it you can mount it and tilt it offcenter for doing the bevel siding?
I assume its that simple?

Cheers

Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

wwsjr

The tilt is achieved by adjusting the 3/4" bolts that are on the bed rails. Initially it takes some adjusting and testing to get the proper tilt from end to end. Once adjusted, I leave the same setting on the bolts as I take off mill. I leave mine with the bevel setting only. A quick test when I place back on mill is all that is needed. A slight adjustment may be needed if you are cutting different widths of boards. I am not at the mill today to look at manual, but it shows the steps to set up.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

Thank You Sponsors!