iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wanted--- A good pickle recipe

Started by Ernie, January 29, 2013, 03:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ernie

This forum seem to have a group of people with the best taste and skills regarding my most loved dishes to sate my palate. 8) 8)

I am managing to grow huge quantities of gherkins this year :) and although Jan makes the best sweet pickles I have ever had, she hates dill pickles and refuses to make me some :(

I am in need of a tried and tested recipe for top quality dill pickles, the sort that I used to get in the Jewish delis in Toronto when I was young, about 50 years ago.  The internet has literally thousands of options but I need a recipe from people who's judgement and taste  I can trust.  So where better than here?  Any  offers?
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

drobertson

ernie, I will get back with you on what my wife does, but one thing for sure, 24 hours from vine to brine, this is kinda important for the crisp factor.  david  oh yea, I love the dills too, just not much for the mushy ones,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Axe Handle Hound

Here's my grandmother's dill pickle recipe.  She passed away about 5 years ago and I haven't had a good pickle since. 

Brine:  
1 qt cider vinegar (or 3 cups white and 1 cup cider if you like less cider flavor)
1 qt water
1/2 cup pickling salt
3/4 cup sugar

Bring ingredients to a low boil in a saucepan.

Jars:
Fill with small cucumbers (whole is best)
1-2 garlic cloves
Dill (generous amount)
1/4 tsp alum

Cover pickles in jars with boiling brine, tighten lids finger tight, invert jars, cool and wait for jars to seal.  Leave jars on the shelf for several months to age. 

sbishop

How about a mustard pickle recipe? One of my favorites! I like bread and butter pickles just has much!

drobertson

axe handle hound, thanks for sharing your grandmother's recipe!  My daughter and son in law live due south of you in Paddock Lake, last year they grew a pile of cukes and started canning,  that soil in wis, is crazy rich, I will try this and pass it along as well,  thanks again,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Axe Handle Hound

Glad to be a help David.  My brother inherited my grandparent's house and there's still one shelf in the basement that's full of pickles she canned.  Everytime I go past them I'm reminded of her working in the kitchen in the hot summer making those pickles a bushel at a time.   Never heard her complain once and she would pretend like it was no big deal when we'd praise her for them.  Once in a while she'd crack a small smile so I'm pretty sure she liked hearing it, but she wasn't about to be accused of a lack of humility.   :)   

I've never been by Paddock Lake area surprisingly, but you're right, the soil in southern Wisconsin is some pretty impressive stuff.  Sadly, I have a terrible cucumber beetle problem here at my place that makes it impossible to grow good cukes. 

Axe Handle Hound

I thought some of the pickle fanatics out there might appreciate this recipe as well.  I never had this until I was probably close to 30 years old and the only reason I did was because I seriously overshot on sweet corn when I planted the garden and my wife was trying to figure out what to do with it.  It turned out great (really puckers the lips) and was amazingly popular with some of the elderly folks in the neighborhood, including my grandmother (my measure for culinary success).  Apparently it used to be popular in WI in older times, but has kind of fallen by the way over the years.  Anyway....

Corn Relish
4 cups of corn kernels (approx. 9 ears)
1 cup diced sweet green peppers
1 cup diced sweet red peppers
1 cup finely chopped celery
1/2 cup minced onion
1 1/2 cups vinegar
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 teaspoon celery seed
1/4 teaspoon Tabasco (you could just add a hot pepper instead or leave it out altogether)
1/2 teaspoon tumeric (for color)
2 Tbsp flour (for thickening....optional)

Boil husked cobs for 5 min, cool, and cut from the cob.  In kettle, combine peppers, celery, onion, vinegar, sugar, salt, celery seed and Tabasco sauce; boil 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Dip out 1/2 cup hot liquid, mix it with dry mustart and tumeric, and return it to the kettle.   Add the corn.  (If you want the relish slightly thickened, blend the 2 Tbsp of flour with 1/4 cup cold water and add to the kettle when you put in the corn.)  Boil for 5 minutes, sitrring exgtra well if the relish has been thickened, so it won't stick or scorch.  Immediately fill clean hot pint jars withint 1/2" of the top, adjust lids, and process in a hot water bath for 15 minutes.  Makes 3 pints. 

drobertson

hey axe, thanks again, and just going to switch up for a minute, do you have any sucessfull ice fishing techniques you could share as well, if need be incorporate it into some great recipe,   ;D   david

SPIKER

My woman has a Zucchini Sweet pickle Recipe that we love.   this is the STUFF just swap half & half pickles to Zucchini & she said she will look for her standard dill recipe that is OK that is not my bag anymore.   The Sweet relish I can do on burgers/dogs and few other things the dill not so much due to my digestion...

Brendi's
Sweet Pickle Relish

4c. chopped cucumbers (about 4 med.)
2c. chopped onions
1c. chopped green pepper
1 chopped sweet red pepper
1/4c. canning salt
3 & 1/2c. sugar
2c. cider vinegar
1tbsp. celery seed
1tbsp. mustard seed

Combine cucumbers, onions, green and red peppers in a large bowl;
sprinkle with the salt and cover with water.  Let stand 2 hours.
Prepare jars and lids according to manufacturer's instructions.
Drain vegetables thoroughly; pressing out liquid.  Combine sugar,
vinegar, celery seed and mustard seed in a large saucepot; bring to
boil.  Add drained vegetables: simmer 10 minutes.  Carefully pack hot
relish into hot jars leaving a 1/4 inch head space.  Adjust caps.
Process 10 minutes in boiling water bath.  Yield: about 8 half-pint
jars.

Mark

I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Axe Handle Hound

Quote from: drobertson on February 02, 2013, 02:12:08 PM
hey axe, thanks again, and just going to switch up for a minute, do you have any sucessfull ice fishing techniques you could share as well, if need be incorporate it into some great recipe,   ;D   david

Now this is a request I don't often get, but the best advice I can give for successful ice fishing is to make sure the ice is thick enough!!  After that's confirmed, take along a bunch of good friends (and have them walk out first  :)).  You'll have a great day even if you don't catch anything, but if we were to talk specifics it would depend on what kind of fish you were after.  Bluegills/panfish- nothing beats a waxworm on a rod for fun, crappies- I like a tip down with a small rosey red shiner for bait, walleyes- medium golden shiner on a tip up set near a point or deepwater drop off, northern- a healthy sized chub or large golden shiner on a tip up in the shallows somewhere. 

To keep this thread on track...fillet any pike you catch and try this recipe:
2 c. white vinegar
4 bay leaves
1 tsp. peppercorn
1 tsp. whole allspice
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 tbsp. mustard seed
1 tsp. whole cloves
White onions
Northern pike
Pickling salt

Fillet fish and cut into bite size pieces; put in clean glass jar.

BRINE:

Combine 5 cups of water and 1 cup pickling salt. Add fish and refrigerate for 48 hours. Rinse thoroughly.
Clean glass container; put rinsed fish in and cover with white vinegar, refrigerate for 48 hours; discard vinegar.

Combine the first 7 ingredients to make a solution that you boil for 5 minutes. Let cool. Layer fish and white onion slices in glass container; pour in solution enough to cover. They will be ready to eat in 48 hours.

Chefferies

I've used this recipe for 6 years now, passed down from my wife's great nana and have won local contests with it.

3L Water
1L Vinegar
1.5cups coarse/pickling salt

Bring to a boil for at least 10 minutes, make sure your jars are very clean and sterilized.  Wash cucumbers very well, I prefer #1's (small ones)

2 cloves of garlic per jar
fresh dill in top and bottom of the jar
1 Oak leaf (instead of Alum)
gives it a great crunch

If you like em spicy, add your favorite hot pepper or try the same brine with green beans !!

Chefferies

beenthere

Cheff
You can go back to that post and click on "modify" to edit the error. Then it won't mess someone else up that just reads the one post, and not the correction. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Weekend_Sawyer

I have just finished my first batch of Giardiniera pickles. Also known
Own as Hot Mix.

FYI I have just learned to spell and say Giardiniera (jar-dih-nair-ah) ::)

1/2 lb cauliflower
1/2 lb carrots
4 stalks celery
About 8 jalapneo peppers
2 red bell peppers
1/2 lb okra
6 or so cloves of garlic

1 cup of pickling salt
4 cups white vinegar
2 cups sugar
2 tbsp pickling spices
1 tbsp crushed red peppers
4 quarts water

Chop veggies, add salt to cold water dump in veggies and brine over night.
Next day, rinse veggies, combine vinegar sugar and spices.
Bring to a boil
Add veggies and Bring to a boil for 5 minutes
Put in sterilized canning jars and waterbath can 15 minutes

Brining

Canned  8)

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Weekend_Sawyer

By the way, i found this basic recipe on line but i believe it had some mistakes.
It said to waterbath can for 5 minutes. I follow the Ball home canning book and have not killed anyone yet. Not evena little bit.

Ball recommended 15 minutes for my altitude.  :)

Jon

Mooseherder

Looks good.  I have to try this along with the pickled eggs. :)

Weekend_Sawyer

A buddy of mine at work brought in a pint of pickled garlic that was fantastic!
good thing we didn't have to run service calls that day! :o

Chris Burchfield

I generally don't care for a dill pickle.  Sweet pickle for tarter sauce, tuna salad or potato salad.  Wife makes a hot/sweet pickle I like on hamburgers.  Take two jars of the wavy cut dills, dump the juice.  An equal size jar of jalapeno peppers, dump the juice.  Dump a jar of the dill and feed in: layer of dill, layer of jalapeno, layer of sugar.  Repeat till the jar is topped off using half the jar of jalapeno to a full jar of the dill.  Now repeat with the other jar of dill.  Put in the fridg. for about a week.  Awesome on a burger!
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Weekend_Sawyer

Chris, that sounds dry. Do you add any liquid?

Chris Burchfield

No liquid.  The sugar dissolves making a sirup that allows the two to mix.  The dill flavor goes totally away.  The hot of the pepper calms down making them just right.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Weekend_Sawyer

I opened one of the half pints of the hot mix yesterday evening and Diane and I ate the whole thing with a fork  :D they were delicious!

I took another half pint to our Friday night dinner and a movie at my dearest cousin Angie's house and they loved them too. After everyone had tasted them my buddy Donny sat down with some crackers and ate the rest of the jar. Now that is a complement.

Jon

beenthere

Quotemy buddy Donny sat down with some crackers and ate the rest of the jar

And that little pig went "putt, putt, putt, all the way home".   ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Compensation

How hard would it be to get Jan's sweet pickle recipe?
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

Ernie

Jan's sweet pickled gherkins

Top/tail and clean gherkins under water.
Soak in brine 3 to 4 days (brine = 1quart water + 2 Tablespoons plain salt)
Drain and bring to boiling in 1 1/2 cups water and 1 cup white vinegar ( this mixture can be reused if needed)
Drain and pack while hot in sterilized jars
Cover with a syrup of 1 cup white sugar, 1 1/2 cups vinegar and 2 teaspoons of mixed pickling spice which has been boiled for at least 5 minutes.
Seal and store for at least a month, if you can resist

We found a jar in the back of the pantry which had sat for 3 years.  they were beautiful.  I think that I had hidden it from our kids at some stage so that we could get a few for ourselves and forgot it was there.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Compensation

D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

Thank You Sponsors!