iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Don't Laugh too much Noob here

Started by K.B., January 28, 2013, 08:15:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

K.B.

I have just started using sketchup last week and I spent all weekend designing what I had in mind for a retirement home in northern Michigan.
I have posted the sketchup in the depository and I welcome any suggestions or direction on which way to go.

Jay C. White Cloud

Hello K.B.,

Welcome to the FF  ;D Boy,  :o that's some good work for only a few weeks!! I wasn't that good after 6 months.  You will get "baskets" full of advice here. 

I like it,  there are things to tweak, but you'll here about those soon, enough, like no hammer truss on gable ends of frames.  That is (was I don't no if he has mellowed on that or not?) one of Jack Sobon "pet peeves." 

What I do like is this frame style, has been becoming an American standard.  You have done somethings I am seeing more often and I like it most of the time.  I see a mix of both Eastern European and Asian design elements.  The Ell off your Great room has a E. European King Post Truss Roof system, setting on a wall formed in the Asian style, with a "double cord," upper wall plate assembly. You will need a lower wall "pass through," brace (Asian,) probably just below you window level, or an oblique "buttress brace."  There are other things to "tweak," but you are off and running, great job.

Regards,  jay

P.S.  with modern wall enclosure systems, I think, (though I wouldn't do it because of tradition in most cases,) your gable end hammer truss will be fine.

"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

K.B.

Thanks Jay,
I know about the hammer beam but the whole idea is to open up the wall for windows and a great view of the lake. But I do respect Sobon.
I sort of like the oriental style of double beams instead of 45 brace in the 28x40 section. A lttle more in the Green & Green direction I guess. Oh and I was planning on timberlinks in the bents that would otherwise need a 28 foot beam - 2 14's and a timberlink below the king post  for strength.

Dave Shepard

Jack still doesn't like hammerbeams in the gable. We have talked about it as recently as  sometime earlier this month.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jay C. White Cloud

That's Jack, don't think he ever will, I've given up and just try and make them work for folks.  I could get them to build the entire hose with a flat roof, quicker than get'n many of them to give up that Hammer truss Gable...go figure.
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Thank You Sponsors!