iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer blade tension gauge (WMBTG) - does it still exist?

Started by WoodenHead, January 28, 2013, 05:47:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodenHead

I've been reading a few older posts regarding the Woodmizer Blade Tension Gauge or WMBTG as some called it.  If I understand correctly, it seems that this gauge can be used for LT15's and LT28's (35's too) that don't have the hydraulic tension gauge that is on the LT40's/50's/70's.  Do any of you have it and can post a picture of it?   

bandmiller2

Woody,there are two things you could be asking about.The blade tension gauge clamps on the band and measures the stretch/tension on it.The outher is the hydraulic tensioning on the bandmill that uses hydraulic or air to move the bandwheels and tension the band.Outhers will be along that know more than I. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Jemclimber

Google blade tension gauge, a lot of manufacturers make them. In a nutshell, it is a micrometer that clamps and measures the "stretch" in the blade. Once you know the Youngs modulus of the steel you can know how much to stretch the band. It doesn't matter the size of the band, the steel needs to stretch the same. It just takes more force to stretch a band with more square inches of steel in it.  I hope that helps.
lt15

bandmiller2

I've never done it but its clamed a vernier caliper clamped to the band on each leg can measure the tension. Frank C.

Magicman

I have seen pictures of a FF member's use of a caliper posted here somewhere.  Maybe search blade tension?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

John Bartley

Quote from: Magicman on January 28, 2013, 07:52:33 AM
I have seen pictures of a FF member's use of a caliper posted here somewhere.  Maybe search blade tension?

That's how I measured mine. I couldn't see buying a dedicated tension gage when I had a vernier caliper and two c-clamps in the toolbox already.  I don't think I posted a photo though...

John
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

bandmiller2

John,when you use the calipers and "C" clamps how much stretch are you reading,I wouldn't think it would be much.Thanks Frank C.

Thank You Sponsors!