iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just one of those days.

Started by justallan1, January 27, 2013, 09:14:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justallan1

I'm thinking monday showed up a day early! I've worked on getting my new mill on a trailer for a bit now and was all set to go this morning and wanted to go try everything out. I took just the truck and went and found a dry, flat spot to set the mill up and cut, limbed and drug 4 trees to it. I went and got the mill and went back and decided to walk one spot to make sure I could get the trailer through, yup no problem. I went to start the truck and it's dead. I messed around with it and I believe the starter is shot. Luckily I have my work radio with me and start calling people, just to find out no one has their radio on. I hiked up a hill to get phone reception and finally got ahold of a co-worker that could come out. About the time he heads out my boss starts calling me on the radio to see if I still need help. When it rains it pours, but I do have help at least, so I'm happy.
Basically I took 10 hours to gather and prep 4 logs! Ah-well, tomorrow is a new day.

JustinW_NZ

I hope tommorow goes better, remember we all seem to have the odd day like that!

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

Nomad

Hopefully that will be your only "Monday" this week.  I've had weeks with five or six of 'em. :(
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Meadows Miller

Gday

Its not just mondays it can be any old day-week-month  :) :) ??? :P ::) ::) dont worry we all have em  Mate  ;) :D ;D ;D

Hope you have a good day tom and an even better one the next  ;) ;D ;D 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

justallan1

Thanks guys. Actually it was a good day and if a bad starter is the worst of my problems then I'll take it.
I'll quit my petty sniveling now and go fix my truck. lol

reride82

I hope the pickup is in a nice dry place. I hate changing out a starter in the snow  >:( I once had to change out a starter in a parking lot on my old '82 chevy with a broken hand that was all casted up. That was when I was young, dumb, and without a cell phone.  :D
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

justallan1

Reride, I can just about duplicate that story for you. The last ranch I worked for fed with feed trucks and one of the guys busted a U-joint halfway down a feed bunk in miserable weather. I was wearing a cast on my good hand at the time and got the pleasure of sloshing through a foot of STUFF to change the danged thing, but I'm still not looking for an indoor job!

pyrocasto

My day was about as bad, Sunday.

I had busted my clamp rail the night before, as I had tack welded it on a year ago and left it.  :D Start the day fixing it. Get a log up, get cutting. Halfway into the second cut my drive motor wires get caught on the log and get ripped out. Had to stop and rewire to finish the cut. Flip the log for the 3rd cut, go to clamp it down, clamp fallls off. Mind you this piece was fully welded on, but must have been the worst weld on the mill, so I spend the next hour grinding and welding. Get back up, go to make 3rd cut, forget the drop cord for the welder is still hanging. Zing! There goes my $3/foot cord in the mill. Somehow I finish that log, and while draggin back the last board my blade guide catches on a log stop that wasnt all the way down and bends the 1/2" adjustment bolt 90 degrees! So I give another log a try. Saw all the way down to the last board with no problems. Go to drop it and the up/down switch quits working! I quit right there for the day.

1woodguy

Some weeks seem to have a lot of Mondays!
Ol Murphy likes to hang around at times  I have to smile when I hit those days when no matter what I try to accomplish its one problem after another

yesterday on a job one guy leaves tools in shop (I gave him a list )
He leaves comes back without jacks leaves again forgets nails and screws
Said other guy had enough on other truck(nope)
Another guy hauling floor joists and ply grabs wrong stuff
two leave then finally gets back about 5hours later  forgets blocking and nails and screws
I had my tools so didn't have to let   the other two twiddle thumbs while waiting
  They complained while gutting the floor
Termite damage from kitchen sink across front room to nearest bathroom
  When they left to dump at burn pile they got stuck
Will see what today brings :D

Experience is a rough teacher first you get the test later comes the lesson!

justallan1

Now that's a bad day, Pyrocasto.
1woodguy, that's the biggest reason that I enjoy working by myself anymore.

Clean Image

I broke my neck about fifteen years ago and managed to live to tell about it...adapted a quote I read from a famous athlete saying " After battling Cancer there're are no bad days...only good days and great days"
I try to remind myself of this daily, I only wish Lance Armstrong wasn't the one who said it!  :-\

rooster 58

Some days you get the bear, some days he gets you :o

Thank You Sponsors!