iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log yard

Started by loggah, January 27, 2013, 08:15:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

loggah

Heres a few pictures of my brothers log piles over where hes putting up his Sanborn mill, he better git busy plenty of sawing there.  ;D these are the logs he has got in in the last year,he sorts them and hauls the best  to the local mills.this is some of the left overs ,with a few piles of good logs thrown in. Two years ago he had a tub grinder come in and grind up the culls ,over 1000 tons . You guys with the big bandmills could have a field day here !! ;D ;D Don

Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Magicman

Yup, I could deal with those last couple of log pictures.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

loggah

The big log im standing next to is about 12' long and over  50" in dia. There is some prime lumber in that pile of pine logs.  ;D
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

thecfarm

You said he "Got" them? Where is he getting them from? We had some big white pine here too. I should of took pictures of some of them.  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

justallan1

I believe I'd have to blindfold my little mill before driving anywhere near those big logs. I'm picturing it unhooking itself and leaving the country without me! lol

loggah

His crews get them from all over the state, his tree  business gets plenty of calls from landowners,A lot of the big pine comes from around camps and cottages around the big lakes in the area. Hes got 16 guys working for him ,with a bunch of bucket trucks, and 2 crane trucks and does a bunch of crane work for the power companies,and gets a bunch of work from Asplund.  They get paid to get  those logs !!!!! ;D ;D, When i was logging full time ,i had to pay pretty dear stumpage to get the same thing !! ::) ::) ;D

stefan

Quote from: justallan1 on January 27, 2013, 08:31:33 AM
I believe I'd have to blindfold my little mill before driving anywhere near those big logs. I'm picturing it unhooking itself and leaving the country without me! lol
Haha!
And now i got coffe all over my computor!

scully

That is a great situation ! Just a guess but I bet he could almost pay for a new mill with the BF there ! And I mean a all out loaded A-Z mill !
I bleed orange  .

thecfarm

That is some serious "getting"  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

customsawyer

Nice looking logs. Has he considered hiring a portable mill to come in and mill them for him?
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

loggah

Thats pretty much why he bought the Sanborn mill, on real rainey ,or nasty days or if they get slow at work ,he will put a couple guys in the mill sawing . He does cut some bid slabs once in a while with the alaskan mill they have ,has 2 090 stihl powerheads.

mikeb1079

Quote, When i was logging full time ,i had to pay pretty dear stumpage to get the same thing !!

that makes your brother a smart fella.   ;D  it's also what made me think hard about starting a part time tree service.  you get paid for logs! 
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

barbender

The woods back east got logged long enough ago that the regrowth is old growth! Most of our area was logged in the late 1800-early 1900 period, then there were big fires around 1910. Therefore, most of our big pine is around 100 years old, and in the 24-30" range. Our big pine was especially hard hit by our July 2nd windstorm. We lost every one on our property but one, it was leaned over like a candy cane but has stood back up over time.
Too many irons in the fire

loggah

There is  a bunch of big pine around here, well not as much as there was. ;D ;D About 10 years back i was one job with my franklin grapple and one guy chopping we cut 90,000 ft in one week , but then again you got to pay big stumpage to get that kind wood. On one job with my old 230 timberjack i cut one pine had 2700 ft in it it was a down hill skid and i had it top ahead, when i hit the flat ground in the yard  it was all over. I had to cut a 14" log off to get to move the tree again ,that log scaled 980'.

Al_Smith

Quote from: mikeb1079 on January 27, 2013, 11:14:10 AM
Quotemade me think hard about starting a part time tree service.  you get paid for logs!
Since you mentioned it as a matter of fact I have several  decend white oak logs that were delivered to me from a tree service I help out with their saws and equipment .If I had my band saw done I have no doubt I could get them by the trailer load .They are not in town trees full of metal either .

dgdrls

Those big ones have swing mill/dimension mill written all over them  ;)

DGDrls

loggah

I am thinking of making a big splitter to crack a few of the biggest logs and a bunch of the cull stuff ,then he can run the junk thru one of the chippers he has ,they sell chips to the local bio-mass plants.

Brucer

Quote from: Magicman on January 27, 2013, 08:19:43 AM
Yup, I could deal with those last couple of log pictures.   8)

What, not the second picture?  :D :D
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

loggah

That ugly butt log in the 2nd picture is over 6' diameter  ;D

torqueporting

I was looking at the big logs wondering why he didn't sell those nice straight ones. Then I noticed you standing and realized how big those logs are.  Last log buyer I looked up wouldn't take logs over 48" in diameter.  A logging company in southern NH has a large splitter the feed with a log loader. They stack the quarters then run them through the whole tree chipper. Keeping ahead of low value logs can be a full time job for tree companies.

thecfarm

Hancock Lumber in Bridgton? Maine was a few years ago. I asked a buyer about that. We use to sell to Irving up in Dixfield and they was hiring high school kids to debark some of our big white pine because the debaker would not open enough. Than they re-did the mill and told us no more big ones. They could not get them around the debarker any more.

shinnlinger

Don,

I think your brother would do very well if he kept his eye out for a decent used Mobile dimension or a swing mill and work those nice straight big stuff right where it lay when times get slow.  work em down to cants and send d them thru his  other mill.

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

loggah

That Sanborn mill will break down a 48" log you just got some thick slabs in the beginning.  Like i say i probably will make a big splitter for the biggest then the split pieces can go on the sanborn mill. The big sawmills right here locally don't really like huge logs ,King lumber, precision lumber ,because it slows up there production,every once in a while they throw a big one on the brow. He probably will ship some of those big pine to Madison lumber.

Ron Wenrich

We had some logs that we split with a chainsaw.  They were about 5',  We set them upright and used the loader as a platform.  We had to quarter them.

I saw a Sanborn setup that had a log deck that came in from the back, and loaded the logs over the headblocks.  I wondered why you didn't use the same setup, instead of loading from the front, one log at a time.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

francismilker

I'm with justallan1, I'd have to blindfold the little LT-10 and do some serious splitting before pulling up on that pile. 

Question:  On some of those large pine logs how long would it take you guys with a 40 or 70 to cut them up into 2x4's?  On a recent thread about figuring time to cut a log, some mentioned about 30 minutes per log.  I think I'd have to figure in quite a bit of tractor work to load and turn those "if" they'd even fit on the mill.  I've got a 24" size restriction now but would love to have a few 24" pines to slice up for future barn projects. 
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

Thank You Sponsors!