iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pen makers

Started by pasbuild, January 26, 2013, 10:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don K

I made a pen/pencil set Sunday for a fella from some blanks Pasbuild sent me a few yrs ago. I don't even know what kind of wood it is. Pretty though.

The photos doesn't really do the wood justice.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

pasbuild

Maple Burl,  turned out nice
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Magicman

Here is my pen that Radar67 just made for me from Bodock.

I sawed this "log" on Feb. 5th:  LINK  Thank you Terry.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hackberry jake

I have some bodock, bodark, osage orange wood that has spalting. It looks like a redish rust colored area on the bright yellow. Pretty neat but most of he time it's not very big spots (perfect for pens). If you want some sen me a pm and I'll send you some free of charge, just gotta post pics of he pens ya make with it  8)
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

pasbuild

Terry sent me the finished product 8) and they look GREAT, thanks again for helping me out.

Radar67

Glad you like them. I appreciate the blanks and extra wood you sent along. I have to figure out a best use for that.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Don K

Great looking pens Terry.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

shinnlinger

Got a little care package for the kiddies today.  They are excited to make some pens.  More product coming soon!
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

pasbuild

Busy Beaver hooked me up with everything I needed to make pens, I just told Fred what lathe I had and he did the rest.
With set up and reading and re-reading the instruction the first pen took less then one hour, great hobby for those with a short attention span :)

jueston

Quote from: pasbuild on April 09, 2013, 09:18:45 AM
Busy Beaver hooked me up with everything I needed to make pens, I just told Fred what lathe I had and he did the rest.
With set up and reading and re-reading the instruction the first pen took less then one hour, great hobby for those with a short attention span :)

that's the great thing about everything on the lathe, from shaping to finishing, everything is faster on the lathe then most other woodworking projects...

Magicman

Those are two really elegant pens.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Busy Beaver Lumber

Pens look great Robert. Did not take you long to learn how to do it. Will have to send you some of the stabilized blanks when they are done. Chamber is supposed to be done this week, so i figure it should be here next week.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Norm

Nice work Bob!

Can I ask what kind of wood and finish you used on them?

pasbuild

There spalted Maple and Maple Burl, I just put a little CA glue on them for a finish.   My neighbor across the road is retired and comes over to help me sand my projects for something to do, I didn't have any sanding for him today so I turned him lose on the lathe, this is what he did today.

Magicman

I think that your neighbor has a new hobby.   :)

Norm

That CA really makes them shine.

SPIKER

hey guys   what size of stock is normally sawed for pen blanks?
1x1x6"? or ?  I got  a hunk of cherry that might make a few,

worth cutting down to size of toss in the fire...??
thanks
Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Looks like to good Ribeyes.  food6
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

pasbuild

If that burl figure runs the length of each piece I would slice it off 1" thick dry it and then dress it down to 3/4"  BUT I waste a bunch of my time doing things like that.

Thank You Sponsors!