iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hit and run on my mailbox!

Started by gspren, January 26, 2013, 03:24:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

easymoney

i have heard that in the snow country they frown on you putting up a sturdy mailbox. they want the snow plows to be able to take them out. ;D

Al_Smith

They have the bright idea of shielding one side of the mail box with a piece of plywood to fend  off the snow plow .It works to a point .

I've been lucky ,only replaced the box once it 15 years . Rubber Maid box lost to the snow plow .They will take a hit from a  ball bat better than a sheet metal box .For 60 bucks they ought to .

beenthere

Quotewith a piece of plywood to fend  off the snow plow

I see that plywood piece as a way to keep the slush from the plows from coating the mailbox with snow/ice/salt when the trucks zip down the highway. Don't see them so much on the rural roads around here. For one, less salt so less slush. For another, can't get up the speed for throwing slush so far.
Just a thought.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Al_Smith

With those big side cast roll plows they can sling heavy snow hard enough to knock over a mail box .Sometimes the plywood too .

One time I had the top knocked off a Rubber Maid from mud clods from a farmers tractor .It was the size of a 5 gallon bucket something had to give .Most likely from a set of duels that got loaded up from spreading manure in the spring from the muddy field .They usually get that done in dead of winter when the ground is frozen but sometimes the weather gets them .Rain ya know .

thurlow

A high school teacher's mailbox kept getting "ball-batted" and neither he nor the po-leece could catch the perpetrators.  He bought some (coupla quarts?) of indelible/PERMANENT purple ink from a printer's supply house and put it into a large zip-lock bag.  Every night he'd walk to the box and drape the bag over it (it was pretty much invisible in the semi-darkness);  every morning, he'd remove the bag.  A few nights later, they hit the box again, except this time there was no doubt which student had dunnit, because of the purple splotches on his hands, arms and face.
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

JuniperBoss

Sometimes our mailbox gets spray painted with naughty words and our family farm sign shot up. It has been "pumpkined" on halloween too. I believe that mailbox maniacs are lacking a lot of integrity, or else they would forgive their enemies (either the neighbor or the mailbox) or talk to them about why they are hurt.
"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

Al_Smith

They go in spurts .You might get a rash of mail box banditos then it goes dorment a few years .On the road I live on there are a few 1/4" plate steel mailboxs evidently a carry over from a more violent era of mailbox chicanery .

A couple years ago all but one residence on the road had mailbox damage .It was obvious where it came from where the PK lived .You got it preachers kid who could do no wrong .Problem was that's exactly where the snowmobile tracks led to .Explain that one .

Phorester

A few years ago there was a letter to the editor in our local paper from a woman who complained about all the beat up old rusty mailboxes in the county, how bad they looked and why did the homeowners keep such ugly boxes in front of their homes.  A few days later there was a letter from one of those county residents saying pretty much what has been said here - that it was no use putting up a pretty mailbox or replacing the beat up ones.

Al_Smith

I suppose if a person were real creative you could make a mailbox from an old tractor tire or a huge oil hose from a tanker ship or something .They could beat on that thing until the end of time ,nary a dent.

I've seen some amusing and creative ideas. One used a big coil spring from a truck or something that was set in a concrete base with a 4 by 4 stuck in it .Hit that thing it will swing back at  you.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Al_Smith on January 28, 2013, 06:27:10 AM
You got it preachers kid who could do no wrong ....

Al, I resemble that remark, being the son of a Southern Baptist Preacherman (and the grandson and nephew of preachers too...)

Course, you know why us PKs were so bad don't cha? Cause we had to play with the Deacons' kids....  :D

We pulled a lot of stupid stunts when I was a kid but never anything that did any significant property damage (well, if you don't count the time the fire got out of hand and burned up close to four acres of vacant land behind the parsonage...)

Herb

Al_Smith

Quote from: PC-Urban-Sawyer on January 28, 2013, 11:07:13 AM
  Course, you know why us PKs were so bad don't cha? Cause we had to play with the Deacons' kids....  :D

In the little podunk town I grew up in outside two general stores and two gas stations were a couple benchs they called "deacons benchs" .

The "deacons " were a bunch of old retired coots that would congregate and roost on the benchs where they argued about everything .Drinking whiskey from a hip flask and splitting tobaco juice on the sidewalk .Just like clock work  every day the weather was fit they carried on like that .Cuss at each other and just acted like fools .Toter off come supper time and go right back at it the next day .--Memories of growing up in middle America ---

Phorester

Hope I live long enough to be one of those "deacons".  Come to think of it..., maybe I have.

Phorester

Quote from: thurlow on January 27, 2013, 05:34:23 PM
A high school teacher's mailbox kept getting "ball-batted" and neither he nor the po-leece could catch the perpetrators.  He bought some (coupla quarts?) of indelible/PERMANENT purple ink from a printer's supply house and put it into a large zip-lock bag.  Every night he'd walk to the box and drape the bag over it (it was pretty much invisible in the semi-darkness);  every morning, he'd remove the bag.  A few nights later, they hit the box again, except this time there was no doubt which student had dunnit, because of the purple splotches on his hands, arms and face.

Plus, he got his mailbox painted a pretty purple color that probably lasted for years.....

WDH

I am feeling a little "Deacon Benchy"  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

isawlogs

I never did get into wacking mail boxes, always figured that karma would eventualy get me back. Karma has been good that way so far with me.  ;) :snowball:
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Cedarman

I was told at a young age that damaged mailboxes and federal penitentiary were intimately connected. 
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

thecfarm

cedarman,I was told the same thing. I think that was why we was so hard on those metal curve signs.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Don_Papenburg

So Thurlow what did the teacher do to you?
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

SwampDonkey

Quote from: JuniperBoss on January 27, 2013, 09:21:18 PM
forgive their enemies (either the neighbor or the mailbox) or talk to them about why they are hurt.

I think probably the pot and/or weekend booze numbs them and alters their judgement a bit. "Just for fun" is different than asking forgiveness. One takes some forethought, the other is an afterthought.  :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thurlow

Quote from: Don_Papenburg on January 29, 2013, 02:53:34 AM
So Thurlow what did the teacher do to you?
Waddn't none of me;  been 50-plus years since I was in high school................in fact, we held our 50th reunion last Fall.  I was one of the 'good kids';  not because I didn't have the urges to get into trouble, but because I was afraid my dad would kill me :(.  As I recall, the mailbox/purple ink thing happened in an adjoining county.
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

pineywoods

Never messed with mailboxes, for the same reason Cedarman mentioned.  ;D But now I did tip over an outhouse or 2, and may have been involved in moving 1 or 2 back about 3 or 4 feet   :-X
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Onthesauk

It was always the "town" kids that did in the mailboxes.  Us "farm" kids" had to fix them. :)
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Al_Smith

Quote from: pineywoods on January 29, 2013, 09:59:01 AM
But now I did tip over an outhouse or 2, and may have been involved in moving 1 or 2 back about 3 or 4 feet   :-X
That used to be great sport when there were out houses .

Speaking of which and a fact I don't remember is my mother loosing me though a hole of a two holer when I was a baby .

Evidently I had soiled my diaper and she changed me and stood me up on the seat then I disappeared knee deep in do do .They've been calling me chit heel every since . :D

thecfarm

Better than going head first and be called c... head.  :D
I'm sorry Al,  :D  I had to get that in there before Poston did.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

:D I don't think I dove in head first but I have been called s-head a time or two along with a number things .

Thank You Sponsors!