iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Caffeine

Started by Riggs, January 26, 2013, 11:57:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riggs

Caffeine....I'm giving it up. It is my biggest addiction, I've never smoked, gave up alcohol years ago, but I always have a soft drink in my hand. It's my vice, my crutch, But in my attempt to get healthier and see how close I can get to living forever, I have decided to give it up. Water or milk for me now. Look for Pepsi, Coke, and Monster energy drinks to all go belly up soon, I'm sure I kept them in business for years.
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

POSTON WIDEHEAD

There are 3 in my family. Me, my wife and 10 year old son. We go through 4 gallons of milk every 10 days.
I drink 2 or 3 glasses of milk at night. Love it!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

sawguy21

I cut out soft drinks, don't care for them anymore, and coffee consumption is down but still not willing to give up that caffeine jolt in the morning. It used to be a basic food group, I have what is called an essential tremor and all that coffee made it worse.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Coffee and Sun Drop is the only caffeine drinks I am addicted to.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

JohnW

Well more power to you, Riggs.  Are you quitting cold turkey?  That's probably a good way.

Ken

I do like my cup of java first thing in the morning.  Helps to get the system moving ;)
With respect to soft drinks the only time I have any is when I feel like mixing a drink.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Riggs

Quote from: JohnW on January 26, 2013, 03:25:39 PM
Well more power to you, Riggs.  Are you quitting cold turkey?  That's probably a good way.

Yes, at least I'm trying to. I have 3 Diet Dews and 6 Pepsi staring at me everytime I open the fridge. I'm not a coffee drinker anyway, so that won't bother me.
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

thecfarm

Good for you Riggs,I don't really drink much soda,except at meal time. I don't ever just pour a glass and drink it. But at meal time I bet i can drink 32 ounces of soda or water or whatever I am drinking. I have stopped a few times,but i like it. Pizza and soda,just have a hard time drinking water with pizza. I do some lemon and water too. ginger ale is good too. Good luck.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Riggs

Quote from: thecfarm on January 26, 2013, 04:47:14 PM
Pizza and soda,just have a hard time drinking water with pizza.

I'm dreading water and popcorn... :(

Norwood ML 26

Warbird

I cut out caffeine almost a year ago.  One of the better things I've ever done for my health.  The first couple of weeks were a REAL pain.  After that, I never looked back.  And I feel soooo much better.

SPIKER

I like coffee myself, but when I got sick 3 or 4 weeks back I switched to Tea for the most part, still had a few cups on & off but not as much.   I prefer juice to pop. now my woman finishes off several cases of diet Pepsi a week.
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

SwampDonkey

I only have coffee in the morning and actually I could go without and not bother me at all. Some people get headaches or the jitters if they go without. It has never affected me that way. I have gone for weeks and not drink it. I wasn't doing it to quit, just one of them things. I drink juice, herb tea, water, or morning coffee. There's one local old fart here that drives 10 miles, 3 times a day to the local Tim Horton's. Must be what he lives on I guess, and he's never did much for income his whole life. Not me, I never go in the place. I can make coffee myself for about 15 cents a cup. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

rooster 58

I rarely drink pepsi or any soda anymore. Although I really miss it with pizza or pasta. I still drink coffee, but buy half caffiene noe. And I limit to 2 cups. When it's really warm in summer I don't drink it at all

JuniperBoss

Energy drinks, coffee and soda can actually be brutal to give up if you depend on them for energy, or if your just simply addicted.
I've never had a cup of coffee or an energy drink in my life. Don't plan too try them soon.
"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

NWP

I quit chewing tobacco cold turkey last April 1. Glad I did but now I need to kick Diet Coke. I'm afraid it may be tougher than tobacco.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

JuniperBoss

Some people have more easily-addicted personalities than others. For some, it has to be one addiction to the next.
"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

Riggs

I didn't realize how addicted I was, day three is nearly under my belt. Headache, sleepy, and just a tad grouchy(er)  >:(

Norwood ML 26

Magicman

Congrats on "kicking the habit".   That much carbonate could not have been good for you stomach either.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Doing good Riggs.   8)   
swampdonkey,they make coffee too for about the same amount.   ;D  Small town where I have to go to, to really get anything,a small Dunkin Donuts there. There's usually someone coming or going each time I drive by. One of my friends says,the coffee leaves a bitter taste in his mouth,meaning the cost of it.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Onthesauk

I smoked 2 packs a day for 20 years and quit smoking, cold turkey.  A few years later I got ulcers and tried to stop drinking coffee.  That was tougher then quitting smoking!
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

chevytaHOE5674

I don't drink coffee so my only source of caffeine was pop, and I gave that up for new years. Hasn't been too difficult while at home as there is always other options to drink. The hard part for me is when/if I go out to a restaurant, many times there aren't a lot of other choices. I enjoy milk but it is very expensive at most restaurants because its sold by the glass, so that often leaves water. But since I don't eat out often I just order a glass of ice water and live with it.

lowpolyjoe

Good move.   I gave up soda a few years ago after the dr told me i was on track for diabetis.  And I can't do the diet soda thing - taste nasty and who knows what it's doing to ya on the inside. 

I still have soda once in a while but i was surprised how fast i was able to adjust to drinking water instead. 

I sometimes have seltzer with a splash of juice in it as a replacement.  Taste pretty good and a bit healthier with no caffiene

Good luck sticking with it

thecfarm

Chevy,when we use to go out to eat,water was easy for me,most want $1.80 for a glass.  :o  Yes,free refills,but still.

SwampDonkey

It's funny about the milk price thing between Maine an NB. Yes, regular 2% is a lot cheaper. But the moment you go grab cereal cream (10% MF) or yogart the price shifts the other direction. Actually hard to find real cereal cream in Maine stores, it's usually a syrup and oil product called half/half. Mom has tried whipping cream from Maine and it won't whip good, it's watery. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

justallan1

I get up early and drink a pot of coffee between looking at this thing and feeding my cows. If it's decent weather out I'm doing something the rest of the day, but if it's crappy weather and I'm caught up on things and don't have anything pressing to do I'll sit in the house and drink most of another pot. The bad side is that I forget to eat and find myself dehrydrated and end up drinking a gallon of water in the evening.
I drink a few sodas a week, but mainly Crystal Lite. I had drank that stuff for better than 2 years when someone pointed it was diet. Hmph! I guess I was doing something healthy and didn't even know it, and I still like it :D

Thank You Sponsors!