iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Has anyone transported a WM 24' bed extension on their mill?

Started by WoodenHead, January 26, 2013, 07:33:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodenHead

I found an LT40 that I would like to buy.  However, it comes with a 24' bed extension.  Is it possible to somehow (safely) carry the bed extension on the mill for towing?  I would be travelling a long distance with it.

Alternatively I suppose I could try to sell the extension to someone around the Atlanta, Georgia area ??  :-\   I'm not really in need of the extension.

bandmiller2

Woody,that bad boy will be handy to keep,the ability to "cut long" is valuable.I would unbolt it and lash it on the mill base,put a red flag on the end.Usally extensions come in sections mayby you could just separate them and haul in the truck or on the mill. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

WoodenHead

Thanks for the quick response Bandmiller.

If the extension comes in sections, I could manage to find a way.  However, I was always under the impression that extensions for the LT28/40/50/70 came in one piece (6', 12' or 24').

dgdrls

Come hell or high water I would not leave it behind or sell it in prior to getting the whole smash home,
I agree with bandmiller2,

let us know how you fair,

best DGdrls

barbender

I'd contact Woodmizer and see if they have any tips, maybe they've packaged one up for shipping like that before. My understanding is that a 24' extension is just a bare LT40 frame, so I'd think you could "stack" them, if your mill's axle can handle the weight and you can find a way to fasten the head down. Otherwise I'd find a way to get it truck shipped, Ontario is a long way from Georgia ;)
Too many irons in the fire

WoodenHead

Yes, Ontario is a long way off (17hrs according to Google).  ;D

The only reason I was looking at picking it up myself was so that I could look at myself before finalizing the sale.  If that proves too difficult, then I will just have mill and extension shipped via truck depending on cost.

Is there someone around the Atlanta, Georgia area (actually slightly north) who might be able to have a look at the mill for me to see that there's nothing obviously wrong with it?

dgdrls

WH,

is Canadian Customs going to have an issue with you crossing with machinery or would it be
just a Tax liability paid when crossing??   

I suspect there are a few sawyers here who you could work through to have the unit inspected
pre-purchase.

DGDrls

WoodenHead

DGDrls,

I have a few inquiries to make about bringing equipment into Canada.  As long as I have the proper paperwork I should be okay.  Customs/our government will be interested in some money though... ::) 

I'll have to wait until Monday to hear back on the shipping costs, but I'm figuring it will be somewhere around $2500-$3000.  That's based on stuff I've brought here at other times.

Woodkiller

Send a pm and I might be able to check it out. I am only 30 min. south of Atlanta.

rmack

IIRC, you need authorization from U.S. customs to allow it to be exported. The tilte and bill of sale need to arrive at specified border crossing 3 business days before the equipment arrives so they can do all the lien searches. Only certain crossings are authorized to export through. Once you have all that done, it's ust gst/hst etc on the Canadian side.
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

customsawyer

I have a 24' ext. and it does not come apart other than where it connects to the mill. The legs will come off but I doubt if it would lay on top of the mill in transport. This would be due to the fact that the main frame would have to ride over the mills main frame and the saw head would be in the way for it to lay there. Another thing is I don't think the axle or tires would handle the extra weight.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WoodenHead

Thanks everyone for your words of wisdom. 

The problem is somewhat solved and a new one created.  The sales person emailed me a while ago and said that there is no bed extension with the mill, a mistake had been made.  I'm not too happy about that!  >:(  Mistakes can be made, but this one has left me a little suspicious.

mmartone

When I picked mine up we loaded it upside down on top of the mill bed.
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

flyboy16101

From what I understand it is no longer an issue but for future reference the only way that I could think of that you might be able to haul both is a 24+ ft trailer. Possibly putting the extenion on the trailer deck then stradiling the extention with the mill I'm not sure how much clearance is provided under the axle. I have never exported anything to Canada but the neighbor just imported a combine a couple months ago. He had a professional company haul machine back but we hauled the one head back ourselves. Canadian customs were great to work with but US customs was a royal pain they seamed more interested in impounding the trailer then they were in helping us get the paperwork straightened out . Luckily after about 4 hours we figured it out ourselves.
Wood-mizer Lt35, International 504 w/ loader, Hough HA Payloader, Stihl Ms290, Ms660, LogRite Cant Hook

Brucer

The 24' extension is just a Wood-Mizer frame without the wheels, carriage, or hydraulics (unless you're cutomsawyer ;D ). I suspect it would fit on the mill if you flipped it over but you would would have to park the carriage at the front of the mill and you would most likely be overloading the axle.

There's no duty on stuff manufactured in the US. There's the exit paperwork to deal with on the US side, and HST/GST to pay on the Canadian side. Here in BC an imported "trailer" has to be inspected for complicance with federal and provincial laws regarding trailers. The inspection is done by an approved inspection facility. If it doesn't pass and cannot be made to pass then you have to send it back. Usually it's a matter of tires (not a problem with WM), axles (again, no problem), marker lights, and reflectors.

I would expect most US made portable mills to pass inspection.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!