iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Show us your rustic stair builds PLEASE !!!!

Started by eddiebo, January 25, 2013, 09:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eddiebo

Really would like to see your awesome workmanship on rustic stairs you have built, and anything else rustic that you have incorporated in a home. Need ideas please.
If you are ashamed of HIM, then surely He will be ashamed of you in His Kingdom.

bigshow

I'm hesitant to call these 'rustic'  but, I dunno.  Here are the stairs in my house.  I dont think I've ever posted them here:

I never try anything, I just do it.

beenthere

That is some very impressive architecture.  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Handymark

Gorgeous. I have only seen one staircase even close to that one but it doesn't even compare. I love the contrasting treads. Is that walnut?

bigshow

Yup, white pine stringers, railings, rails, etc.  Solid Walnut treads.  Our house is themed with Pine/Walnut/Black iron/appliance contrasts.  The most awesome use of walnut was in the peak trim.  Its so cool.  It can kind of be seen in the post i created a bit ago where the timberframe trashed my kids' birthday.
I never try anything, I just do it.

eddiebo

Bigshow that's some very nice work there. I am motivated already. Thanks. I think you have everyone a little hesitant now !!!1 ::)
If you are ashamed of HIM, then surely He will be ashamed of you in His Kingdom.

Rooster

"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

MotorSeven

Does this count??? :D They were temporary until we could afford the metal spiral staircase.........

It don't get no rustic-er then that!

WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

eddiebo

Rooster that is just what the doctor ordered. Including the barnwood walls. We have been tearing down an old house for the rusted tin and wide barn boards. This give us some great ideas. The stairs are a must I think. Great job on the railings too!!!!!!

ChadS

well I am no craftsman but this is what I came up with.
the fame and treads are Black locust  the railings are ceder
and the roof really reduces  the snow  I need to shovel
the joints are all scribed  with timberlock screws and gravity holding it all together

ChadS

as you can see I need to rebuild my deck off the landing

Brian_Weekley

e aho laula

Jay C. White Cloud

Hey ChadS,

Welcome to the FF!! ;D

Quotewell I am no craftsman
:o ???? Your not?

I know folks still trying to do scribe work after three years that can't pull off that front porch and stairs you have!!!  That is great work, especially the timber to stone scribe, excellent.

Regards,  jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

frwinks

Here's a set of winders I designed and cut for our basement. 
Does a chunk of 400+ year old doug fir qualify as rustic :D 

jueston

Quote from: ChadS on January 27, 2013, 10:48:17 PM

wow... if your no craftsman then the rest of us don't have much hope because that is amazing, i love the scribe work... really amazing stuff there, you should be proud.

MotorSeven

Quote from: jueston on January 28, 2013, 11:22:38 AM

wow... if your no craftsman then the rest of us don't have much hope because that is amazing, i love the scribe work... really amazing stuff there, you should be proud.

Ditto...outstanding work. Chad did you get to harvest the logs you used? I swear they "speak" to you about where they want to be.....sounds weird but it's true.....
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

thecfarm

ChadS,we will call you humble Chad from now on.  :D That is some nice work. Welcome to the forum. Lots of nice stairs here. A good thread.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

barbender

These are more boards that I sawed and left stickered and uncovered, that's where I get  most of my rustic "barn" wood ::) Keeps me from having to do the hard work of salvaging old buildings ;D The treads are fresh cut right off of the saw white spruce, because that's what I had. I screwed the m down on the front and left them free on the back so they could shrink without splitting, and then the back board holds the back of the tread down. Sure, things might get a little squirrely but that's part of the rustic look, right? ::) My six year old stood in with her striped socks to add some flair.

Too many irons in the fire

barbender

Here's a few more, these are off of my android and it doesn't take the greatest pictures inside, and I have to scratch my head a bit to remember how to post directly off the phone.

Too many irons in the fire

ChadS

Quote from: MotorSeven on January 28, 2013, 10:46:04 PM
Quote from: jueston on January 28, 2013, 11:22:38 AM

Ditto...outstanding work. Chad did you get to harvest the logs you used? I swear they "speak" to you about where they want to be.....sounds weird but it's true.....

you will notice there are no close up pictures showing big gaps, and ther are smo big gaps(that is why I say I am no craftsman)  I harvasted  the super structure(black locust [in jack sorbens book  he says the old timers beleave it will last two years longer then stone] )  and the railing were all white ceder  that I harvested.
I found that some pieces say I belong in spot x(the ones with character) and the other one fill in.

eddiebo

I must truely say that we are blessed to have people like all of you to draw inspiration from. TRUE CRAFTSMEN!!!! Yes CHADS that's you too. Great work. Thank you all so much for your input. God bless you !!!

logman

Here are my sassafras stairway and railings.   

LT40HD, 12' ext, 5105 JD tractor, Genie GTH5519 telehandler
M&K Timber Works

blackfoot griz

Impressive and inspirational thread!
Thanks for sharing.

creativecarpenter

A couple stair sets I have made, the second set will be finished in the spring when the snow melts and I can get to it

coming from the sawdust factory

D L Bahler

Not mine, but these are the best staircases I have ever seen.

Located in the tower of Spiez Castle in the Canton of Bern, Switzerland.

Thank You Sponsors!