iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cutting a hardwood log using a Stihl 660 chainsaw

Started by harrymontana, January 25, 2013, 08:42:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harrymontana

everything on hardwood

JuniperBoss

I like this ;D. I love that chainsaw. The 660 always has caught my eye. It's a wood-cuting machine!
"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

DaveP

JuniperBoss

"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

beenthere

They are in Bolivia, so doubtful but only a few wear safety equipment in the forest cutting trees.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

lumberjack48

Sounds like it needs a little tuning, saw should level out and sound free. That 660 well cut that little hardwood a lot faster then that.
I'd have to have a long sleeve shirt with gloves, and a hardhat with the screen to keep saw dust out of my eyes.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

qbilder

God bless our troops

harrymontana

Quote from: lumberjack48 on January 26, 2013, 03:58:22 PM
Sounds like it needs a little tuning, saw should level out and sound free. That 660 well cut that little hardwood a lot faster then that.
I'd have to have a long sleeve shirt with gloves, and a hardhat with the screen to keep saw dust out of my eyes.

I agree on your safety measures but what about a 95 Fahrenheid with no wind and 90% humidity? His long trousers is only for the mosquitos not to get too nasty
everything on hardwood

Ianab

I thought it would be a heat thing. I'm a big fan of safety gear, but heat stroke is a safety issue too, and can kill you pretty quick in those conditions.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

lumberjack48

I cut a lot of Jack Pine when it was 90 with 90% humidity, thick brush, Deer flies, Horse flies, Sand flies, Mosquitos, Yellow Jacks, then when you fell a tree the green pollen thick in the air. I tied my pant legs to keep the Sand flies from going up them.
Now doesn't it sound like fun, this was the time of year i didn't like logging. But you have to take the good with the bad or you wouldn't be in business long.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

JuniperBoss

Now I think it might be better to go without safety gear. If I were in that heat (bolivia) I would certainly go without my heavy chaps and helmet, to avoid over-heating.

lumberjack48

I had my hard toe logger boots, light cotton pants, white cotton shirt, light gloves to keep hands from getting scratched up, and a hard hat with screen to keep from poking your eyes out in the brush or Jack pine limbs.

drobertson

If I understand things right, the labor down there is making good money for their time. Much different than in the states to be sure.  Someone is cashing in on the economics of the area. Kinda sad folks have to work like this and the "big" man is taking the spoils, I guess supply and demand  is working out well.  At least the saws are good. No offense intended, just saying, what a shame folks are raking in while others are being raked.  Desperate times mean desperate measures for them.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

JohnG28

Quote from: JuniperBoss on January 26, 2013, 05:43:16 PM
Now I think it might be better to go without safety gear. If I were in that heat (bolivia) I would certainly go without my heavy chaps and helmet, to avoid over-heating.

I don't cut professionally by a long shot, but I do cut at my camp in the summer. Even on a hot summer day I wear my chaps with jeans plus a helmet if I'm falling. My uncle laid he knee open at the end of the day a few weeks ago.  ::) Never wore chaps. Lot of water and breaks when its hot. Plus here OSHA mandates PPE on works sites. If ya got it wear it.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

rooster 58

Yep! There were plenty of machines to carry water for everyone to drink. Someone I knew just lost his life this past Friday when a limb came out of a tree in which he sustained blunt force trauma to his head and abdomen, all while helpeng to clear trees on the family farm :o

JuniperBoss

End of a tree fell on me. My hardhat may have prevented serious injury.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sawguy21

Lack of safety gear was the first thing I noticed too. I was also waiting for the saw to pinch.  ::)
Most of us are strong on ppe and have related horror stories but we have to remember that forestry workers in other countries don't necessarily play by our rules. They have developed methods that work for them in their environment. They likely would take us for wimps.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

beenthere

QuoteI was also waiting for the saw to pinch.

I was too until I noticed the forks on the loader being used to lift the log as he was cutting. That removed any need for a wedge in the top to keep from pinching the bar.

Although, when I have a similar cut to make, with suspected compression on the top side, I will bore just below the top (leaving an inch or so of wood to keep the cut from closing) and cut through to the bottom. Then come back up to the top to nip off the unsawn wood. Works well if the log doesn't want to roll during the cut.
south central Wisconsin

lumberjack48

If the log was in mid air, i'd undercut it about 1/3 way, then finish the cut from the top.
If it was against the ground with down pressure, saw from the top until it just starts to pinch, then finish with an under cut.
When i bucked up on the landing, if i got my saw stuck once all day, i was very unhappy with myself. In my 30 yrs i never seen anybody use a wedge when bucking up.

beenthere

All is in how one likes to do it. No set script that anyone has to follow.  ;D
south central Wisconsin

drobertson

I have to say I was a bit harsh on the labor end of the thread,  I just have a soft spot for ones that work for nothing when some folks push pencils and seem to live in beach front condos.  At least here the hard workers are running some good saws!  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!