iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Suggestions for a sawdust chute on an older LT40

Started by yellowrosefarm, January 25, 2013, 07:14:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowrosefarm

I have a 1992 LT40 hydraulic. The sawdust just exits out right behind the bandwheel which, of course, means a lot of it is in the air as you walk down with the head while cutting. The newer LT 40 that the fellow who used to cut for me had, used a detachable spout or chute to deflect the dust nearer the ground. Has anyone made their own chute? I have some ideas but thought I'd ask here first.

drobertson

I think there might be many options here, and I wondered how you guys deal with the dust as you are walking through it, I know how much it builds up, and I do like to walk on it better than a concrete foor, but sooner or later something has to be done with it, not to mention the dust in the air, wmz has the tubes that fasten on shooting it lower to the ground, but you could make one as well. maybe come down a bit then  angle the tube straight out a few feet beyond the path you a walking, something rigid like pvc pipe or a thin wall flexible steel tubing maybe.  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

beenthere

Some I believe hang a 5 gal bucket to catch the dust.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

pineywoods

Magic sawdust disposal. I just saw away and don't worry about the sawdust.
Harbor freight shop dust collector, stovepipe, and a little flex hose..

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

mmartone

I would also like to see some pics of a modified older saw. Mine just throws sawdust out the big hole in the bottom all over the batterys, tire, its especially bad when the winds blowing.
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

bandmiller2

If a bandmill is fed too slow it tends to make finer dust and more of it ends up airborn.Look at a newer mill and see what has been changed.Has anyone tried an old cutoff blue jeans pantleg on the chute to aim the dust down.?? My homebuilt just kinda spreads it out behind the mill on a cement floor where a snow pusher is used to pile it.Never noticed much of it airborn unless I was recutting dry boards or feeding real slow. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

yellowrosefarm

Quote from: bandmiller2 on January 26, 2013, 08:37:59 AM
Has anyone tried an old cutoff blue jeans pantleg on the chute to aim the dust down.??

Not yet, but I sure will the next time I saw 8) My biggest thing with the dust is that I have chronic sinus problems and also wear glasses. Neither of which is helped by a lot of dust in the air. If I wear a mask, my glasses fog up. So, anything to keep my head out of the dust stream will help. The newer mill I worked around wasn't near as bad since it had the extension and put the dust about a foot off the ground instead of at eye level.

customsawyer

I keep a rope on my chute. This lets me adjust where the chute throws the sawdust. I can put the chute all the way up if the wind is at my back. If the wind is in my face then I can lower the chute but keep it just a bit higher than normal and it will put the sawdust just a bit further out.

You can just see my chute with the rope in the top left of this pic.

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

NWP

Sawdust is a natural kid attractant.  My youngest loves to dig in it too.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

red oaks lumber

sorry to say ol boy but, that looks bigger than a string :D up north we call them kids ;D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

drobertson

Truth be know, I think all of us like to play in it 8)  Why else make it?  ;D  Our tonkas just have a different fuel system.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

NWP

Quote from: drobertson on January 26, 2013, 08:30:16 PM
Truth be know, I think all of us like to play in it 8)  Why else make it?  ;D  Our tonkas just have a different fuel system.

Very true.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

WDH

I believe that is Okrafarmer's little boy playing in sycamore sawdust.  It was only about 100° that day  :-\.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

MartyParsons

Hello,
I have seen a leg from a pair of blue jeans as a saw dust chute. I worked well. Not sure if it would work for you.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Jim H

yellowrose, If you have a spout and are trying to extend it a 2' piece of 4" ads drain pipe ( black corrugated plastic) might work. My first mill was an '86 lt30, the dustexited straight down thruogh expanded metal underneath the bandwheel. On that mill I cut a hole in the guard and bolted on a chute made for a newer woodmizer. Judging from the map on your profile we're only a couple of miles apart, we shuold get together sometime. Jim
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

Meadows Miller

Quote from: drobertson on January 26, 2013, 08:30:16 PM

And the Capital Imput Costs of Equipment was ALOT Lower back then too You could get a whole fleet for a couple hundred  bucks ;) :D :D :D ;D  ;D 8)

I just made a deflector for the B-20 i was running before christmas all it was was abit of alloy plate tec screwed to the mill and bent to suit where i wanted it to go and it worked well  ;) ;D

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Magicman

Quote from: yellowrosefarm on January 26, 2013, 02:20:12 PMIf I wear a mask, my glasses fog up. 
I suspect that you are just wearing the wrong mask.  I always wear safety glasses and a mask.  The mask has an exhalation valve which lets the warm moist air escape.  Here is the one that I use:  Dust Mask

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bedway

Jim_Rogers

I'm sure you can order and install the metal sawdust chute to your mill. I don't think mine came with it but it may have.

After about a week of shoveling up the sawdust at the end of the day, when we first started back in 94, we decided to add a bucket:

When I was sawing dry beams into flooring we had a very bad "air borne" dust problem. I duct taped a cotton towel around the elbow to at as a fine sawdust filter.
When the towel wasn't puffy any more the bucket was full and we'd dump it.

Worked for me.

Good luck.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

mmartone

Please some pics of anyones chute on an old machine with the expanded metal opening.
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

Jim H

I don't have any pics but the chute was the same as the piece Jim Rogers attached the pvc fitting to. It's hinged at the top, I just bolted the hinge to the shroud so that the bottom horizontal piece of the chute contacted the lower edge of the shroud. Then I cut a square hole in the verticle part of the shroud about 3/4" up from the bottom. I think I had to fabricate some sheet metal to cover the triangular holes on the sides of the new chute. I left the expanded metal open in case the chute clogged. I think the peice I bought was used on pre-'97 lt40 mills. Hope this helps. Jim
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

Chuck White

This is what my sawdust chute is!

It's adjustable, using the turnbuckle or if I want to really throw the sawdust (depending on the wind) I can just raise it all the way up and out of the way.

One of the previous owner had removed the piece of metal that directs the sawdust towards the ground, I just added the adjustability!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

yellowrosefarm

Quote from: Jim H on January 27, 2013, 07:30:38 AM
, we shuold get together sometime. Jim

We have, many times, just not lately. The map isn't exactly right. I live across from a certain chainsaw carver and if that isn't enough, I've got a dandy IH R200 dump truck that you so generously donated to my cause years ago. You should stop by sometime and drive it around. I use it quite a bit for moving dirt and firewood on the farm. Thanks again! It's your mill I was referencing in my original post. Mine has no provision for a chute but with some of the ideas I've seen here, it will soon.

Jim H

Good to hear from you. The map threw me off a bit, I sawed some logs across the road from you back in the summer.

yellowrosefarm

From another thread I found the part# from woodmizer for the chute extension kit. Woodmizer part number for the sawdust extension kit A12297. It was about 75$ including shipping and I got it today. It consists of the metal adapter to go over the piece where the "fingers" are that turns into a round shape and the rubber extension hose. I had to shorten up the "fingers" to be able to flip it up like it's designed to but it fit great. I love to fabricate stuff but for the money I couldn't have come close to the woodmizer piece. Thanks to the poster in the other thread for bringing the part number to my attention.

yellowrosefarm

Finally got a chance to take a picture of the kit. Obviously, it's the shiny new orange piece.

Chuck White

Looks good yellowrosefarm.

Well worth the $50-60.00.

Keep in mind though, that unless you modify the exit itself, you still cant throw the sawdust out all that far when using the extension!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

yellowrosefarm

Quote from: Chuck White on March 19, 2013, 07:00:16 PM

Keep in mind though, that unless you modify the exit itself, you still cant throw the sawdust out all that far when using the extension!

Why is that?

mmartone

I know I made a post about this but, heres mine after a little cutting, welding and bolting the chute kit on.

Chuck White

Quote from: yellowrosefarm on March 19, 2013, 07:56:37 PM
Quote from: Chuck White on March 19, 2013, 07:00:16 PM

Why is that?

Quote from: yellowrosefarm on March 19, 2013, 06:03:50 PM
Finally got a chance to take a picture of the kit. Obviously, it's the shiny new orange piece.

In this pic, just above the reflector on the sawdust exit there is a piece of metal, the width of the exit that direct the sawdust downward.

That piece has been removed from my mill, while leaving the angled pieces on each side of the exit.  Now I can point my sawdust chute extension straight out and send the sawdust a lot further out!

yellowrosefarm

I see. Mainly, I was looking for a way to keep the dust out of my face and out of the path where I walk next to the mill for a day's worth of sawing. I think this will do the trick. Plus, if I ever do build a shed to saw under, I'll have a nice round connection point for a sawdust blower.

Thank You Sponsors!