iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmillshed....info with electricity needed

Started by roger 4400, January 25, 2013, 11:23:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roger 4400

Hi everyone.
Next spring I'll build a sawmillshed and only need a few lights and plugs for a mitter saw and maybe a compressor that use all of a 15 amp circuit).
My shed will be 175 ft from home. I want 2 different circuits (one for lights and one for the saw and some other plugs I will rarely use.
So I think  I will run a 12/3 wire with 20 amp breaker from the home (use 12 gauge because the distance home-mill shed). In the shed I will put an octogonal box and then I'll run 2 circuits with 14/2 wire ( one for my lights an the other for the plugs) .Is it ok or I should go with 15 amps from the house with 12 gauge wire (distance).  If I run 20 amp circuit from the house can I go with 14 gauge once in the shed or do I have to still with 12 gauge all over??
Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

SPD748

I'd run 10-3 out and 12-2 inside the shed. That may be a little overkill but better safe than sorry.

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

Ocklawahaboy

Ahhhhh, my former profession.

You either need to put 15amp breakers where you switch to 14ga wire or use 12ga everywhere.  Alternately, you could put the 12ga wire on a 15amp breaker at the house. 

If it were me, I'd go ahead and run 220 from the house, either a 75 or 100 amp service and put a sub panel in the shed.  Gives you play if you want to use bigger gear, add a welder, have an rv hookup etc.  it seems like overkill now but it's easier than adding it later.

Larry

How are you getting from the house to the shed?  If buried I would put in 2" pvc conduit.  This adds protection from rock/rodent damage, and gives you the option to add second circuit when needs warrant it at reduced expense.

It's hard to recommend wire gauge with some unknowns.  You already recognized that there may be a voltage drop problem.  How far from your house breaker box to the power company transformer?  What voltage do you have at the house?  What amp size service do you have at the house and is it maxed out?  Just a few more considerations.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

1woodguy

Every shed barn ai have built I always planned on needing more electric at sometime in future
  And the building will need to be bigger (they shrink a lot  :D at least mine do as I put things in them)
Experience is a rough teacher first you get the test later comes the lesson!

captain_crunch

I would go with the 220 power with #10 wire and the sub pannel 1 1/4" condut in ground 2" would be great but price between the two would cause me to go with 1 1/4. Also long as I had ditch I would also include a 1" water line with frostfree hydrant at mill
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

pineywoods

Priced copper wire lately ? 250 ft roll of 12/4 $200. I only needed 165 feet but they won't cut a roll. I ran 220 service to my mill, hydraulics pump on one leg, and sawdust blower on the other. 160 feet pulled through buried 2 inch pvc pipe
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

captain_crunch

Don't know code back there but here if it is in condut it HAS to be indivual strands as in no double jacketed wire. In the pump buisness we Use the 4 wire twisted subm wire which is legal in condut and is generaly cheaper per foot and is sold by the foot off roll at home improvement stores so you only have to buy length you want. But beware of the home owner syndrome and not allow at least 10 ft extra on ends everybody measures condut or ditch length
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

roger 4400

Hi ! Thanks for your answer and experience. Here some more infos:
With the house I already have an attached garage with a 100 amp panel ( My wood working tools are on 220 volts, and I have a welder in that garage already). . This garage panel is feed from the house panel, 400 amps (2 X200 amps) with a 3/3wire.The house is 250 ft from the nearest transformer and there is another one on the other side 450 ft from the home, I do not know wich one is serving me.
From the attached garage (100 amp panel) I want to run either two 15 or 20 amp circuits that (I think) will serve my needs (the only thing I need Is some lights and some plugs .I do not think I will ever need 220 in the mill but maybe if I run a 12/3 I could but my real needs are only some lights and plugs ( have enough power in the garage). When I'll build the sawmillshed I'll need my compressor that is stretching the 15 amp circuit to their maximum ( once in a while the breaker jump ) it is why I might use 20 amps circuits. Is that safe???? Thank you. Roger
Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

captain_crunch

Thing to think about is Higher the Voltage the smaller wire you can get away with (least with pumps) If I were to run 2 110v lines #10 would be min. Voltage drop is death on motors and actually will show up on power bill also :o Sub pannel adds expence but if something goes south on you closer the disconect is the better

Tree Feller

Oklawahaboy gave you some good advice. The 14 ga wire requires a 15 amp breaker. It would probably be better to stay with 12 ga for everything or else change the breaker to 15a.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

beenthere

I'd stick in 220 service on a 30A breaker in your 100A box, going to a breaker box in your shed with 20A breakers for your shed circuits. 12ga wire in shed.

Covers your behind for doing a lot of extra things that may cross your mind after getting the sawmill shed up 'cause you sound like a guy that has lots of new ideas to do things better. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kingcha

Yeah I would have to agree with the rest   10/3 from garage to a sub panel at mill shed.   Then 12/2 for your circuits there.   A small sub panel is fairly cheap.   
a Wood-mizer LT15 10hp Electric, 45hp Kioti tractor, electric smoker, wood-fired brick oven & yes a custom built Solar Kiln

drobertson

If I understand beenthere right, this is what I was thinking as well, more cost upfront less worry in the end.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

davey duck

just run a 100amp under ground wire it is $1.47 per foot at lowes  then if you need to you can run a welder or planer with out having to redo the electric.
David G.Fleming

Thank You Sponsors!