iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

knotty pine/spiral saplings

Started by MILL BRANCH FARMS, January 25, 2013, 09:41:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MILL BRANCH FARMS

not sure if their pitch pine,virginia pine or what, i call 'em to many dag gum limbs pine! i have quite a few, are they good for any type construction? maybe siding, roof lathe? any suggestions? second pic is a sapling thats grown with a vine around it. i want to use the spiral section for railing spindles on my deck. i need suggestions on how to remove the bark. i thought about let them dry then soak in water, let them dry?? thanks in advance 

DIGGER

MILL BRANCH FARMS

if you go to my gallery you can see the spiral sapling better, every time i try to post it, it gets scrunched up! most of the saplings are yellow poplar
DIGGER

POSTON WIDEHEAD

If you live in Virginia, they're definitely Virginia Pine.  ;D

I saw a good bit from time to time because they come in mixed in with the Loblolly.
I have never tried to speed up the process of removing bark.

Generally, if it's my Pine, I stack the logs off the ground. In about a year the bark starts to come off on its own.
I would say this is the easiest way.

All the VA. Pine I mill is for barn siding.....a little knotty but it's solid and pretty. I try not to throw these boards around. On a 1 inch siding board, there is a chance it may break where a knot is.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

MILL BRANCH FARMS

sorry, my pics got mixed up. the knotty pine and the bark removal are for two different pics, the bark removal is for the yellow poplar spiral sapling
DIGGER

Mountain State Farm

Hi Mill Branch Farms,

We call that a bull pine and consider it trash wood. Last summer in our Derecho storm, I had hundreds break over with the top still attached, just hanging there. Very dangerous.
Green it is very heavy but once cut the elements and bugs turn it into paper within a year. I have seen lumber made from it but like Poston said it tends to be brittle and knotty.

I could not find a good way to take the bark off so I just got out my pocket knife and started cutting. I give them away as walking sticks but I also like your idea.
That sawdust bug bit me in the ...

WDH

Mill Branch,

Like Poston said, it is virginia pine. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!